Pumpkin Chai

Black Chai Blend
Allspice, Black Pepper, Black Teas, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Clove, Ginger, Natural Flavours, Nutmeg, Pumpkin Pieces, Vanilla Bean
Cardamon, Clove, Smoke, Smooth, Spices, Spicy, Creamy
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita
Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 9 oz / 257 ml

• “Chai to Stay Dry! To go with the old “April Showers” motif this month I’m going to try to sample some of my chais and sipdown some of the chai tea samplers I have stashed away. (Though admittedly,...” Read full tasting note
  • “Somehow, this tastes like a subdued version of Amoda’s Happy Pumpkin. That one is loaded with chunks of pumpkin, and additionally comprises allspice, coconut, cacao nibs, and orange peel—which this...” Read full tasting note
  • “I meant to make this one as a latte since it’s my favourite that way, but i forgot. Still a tasty pumpkin chai tea -and actually tastes pumpkin-y without it being that weirdo “pumpkin spice” flavour.” Read full tasting note
  • “This is this week’s Tea of the Week as well as the Featured Reblend/Retro Monday blend for October. I argued with myself on whether or not I should start a new entry for this since it is...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

This week’s tea is a new blend of Indian, Ceylon and Chinese whole leaf teas with ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, black peppercorns, cloves, and organic pumpkin flavors. If this doesn’t get you in the mood for fall, nothing will.

About 52teas View company

Chai to Stay Dry! To go with the old “April Showers” motif this month I’m going to try to sample some of my chais and sipdown some of the chai tea samplers I have stashed away. (Though admittedly, Aprils in my area tend to be more windy than wet… ah well!)

Last October for my (now discontinued) tea blog I dedicated the whole month to trying different pumpkin teas, as I have a huge thing for pumpkin flavors/foods. Of all the teas I tried during that month, this one reminds me of the Pumpkin Chai Latte blend by Spice and Tea Exchange, which I found to have a more savory flavor rather than a sweeter, more dessert-like flavor profile like most pumpkin teas.

I have Anne’s reblend of this tea from last October. The leaf has a very spicy scent, particularly of clove and cardamom. The tea has a subtle savory pumpkin note, but the dominant flavor is a heavy spice note of cardamom and clove, with some light cinnamon and nutmeg flavors in the finish. The tea is not too spicy; there is a nice warmth to the tea, but it doesn’t create too much of a heated sensation in the mouth and is easy enough to drink straight, but has enough spicy depth it could work as a latte. I do however find that with such strong cardamom/clove notes, the tea takes on a much nicer, rounder flavor note with some added sugar. The black tea base is very smooth, and has a slight hint of smokiness. I don’t really get any vanilla flavor from the vanilla bean in the blend, or even any creaminess like vanilla tends to add, so drinking the tea latte-style with some warm vanilla almond milk may be the way to go if this is what you are after.

Not particularly pumpkiny or creamy, but a very savory chai that is a nice choice if you like cardamom and clove. It’s not my favorite pumpkin chai I’ve tried, but it’s a nice warm cuppa on a cold blustery spring morning.

Flavors: Cardamon, Clove, Smoke, Smooth, Spices, Spicy

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Lexie Aleah

Also had a Pumpkin Chai tea today! Mine had similar results in terms of lacking the pumpkin flavor.

Mastress Alita

I’m a firm believer that pumpkin is a year-round flavor, not a seasonal. _

Somehow, this tastes like a subdued version of Amoda’s Happy Pumpkin. That one is loaded with chunks of pumpkin, and additionally comprises allspice, coconut, cacao nibs, and orange peel—which this one lacks. I would have expected a little more from the Assam base here but I’m detecting mostly cinnamon and ginger with a squash note.

Now to brave walking approximately fifteen blocks in -32°C (with windchill) weather.

Evol Ving Ness

that weirdo “pumpkin spice” flavour.

Sadly, we all know exactly what you mean.

This is this week’s Tea of the Week as well as the Featured Reblend/Retro Monday blend for October. I argued with myself on whether or not I should start a new entry for this since it is technically a new Pumpkin Chai – as I didn’t follow Frank’s recipe for this one. But I figured that we do have a lot of entries as it is and we actually DO have 2 Pumpkin Chai entries (this one and the Sri Lankan Pumpkin Chai) – the thought crossed my mind that having another Pumpkin Chai entry may just confuzzle everyone so I decided to just use this one.

As I said, my new Pumpkin Chai is different from the original blend. I didn’t actually have Frank’s recipe for this blend – earlier this year my old computer (that I had for about 8 years) died. Fortunately, I did sense that it’s time was approaching and I started saving my recipes to google docs and I didn’t lose too many recipes. I lost a lot of other things that I wasn’t able to retrieve but for the most part, we got through it with as little loss as possible.

Anyway – I wasn’t able to save all of Frank’s recipes and quite a few of his older ones were also lost in his own computer’s death so to be honest, I don’t recall if this particular recipe was in the set of recipes that I did have. But that’s OK. That chai was alright, but I enjoy making chai blends so I wasn’t too set on needing to recreate his.

I wanted to focus on as much pumpkin flavor as possible – which is difficult for a few reasons: a) the pumpkin bits that are added to the blend do not add a strong flavor – they’re mostly about visual appeal; b) I’ve found that it’s a bit difficult to get the pumpkin essence to express itself fully with a strong black tea base and I’m of the belief that chai blends with a black tea base should have a strong, vigorous black tea as it’s base to support those spices; and c) the strong spices tend to mask some of the pumpkin notes.

Nevertheless, I do think I managed to get some of that pumpkin to shine through.

When it comes to a chai though, the most important thing (at least for me) is the spice. I like a warm and cozy chai – and I even appreciate a really robust, spicy chai. Usually when I get a chai with spices on the subtle side, I find myself somewhat disappointed. It’s something that happens often when it comes to coffee shop chai blends – because most of them use one particular brand of chai concentrate (and I’m not going to name names) and it isn’t a very strong chai – it tastes mostly like milk and sugar to me – with some notes of cinnamon and ginger. I usually get no real discernible tea flavor from those blends and very little in the way of spice. There are only a few coffee shops out there where I’ll get a chai latte these days and those are ones that I KNOW do not serve that particular brand of chai concentrate.

Anyway, I digress.

I wanted this chai to be something that kept the spice profile strong even if I added some milk for a latte (because pumpkin chai blends should be made into a latte, amirite?) and I think I managed to accomplish this. I do recommend that if you decide to go latte with this, that you brew it strong so that the milk doesn’t dilute the tea because this was made to be served as a straight up tea.

And it is good as both a straight up tea and as a latte. As a latte, it’s smooth and creamy, with a really nice peppery bite to it. When it’s a latte, the pumpkin becomes very silky tasting, reminding me almost of a pumpkin yogurt but without that tang of the yogurt, which makes me wonder how some plain kefir might fair in this? Would the kefir curdle with the heat of the tea? It’s not something I’ve ever tried – so I don’t know. If any of you have tried such a thing – please let me know how it turned out!

Anyway, I’m quite happy with this blend – happy that I’m able to enjoy some chai as the weather is definitely CHAI weather to me and also because it’s yummy!

Indigobloom

what if you cold brewed it in the kefir? now I’m curious :P

So I have an ancient pouch of this that I received when it was already older. I didn’t really taste pumpkin. I was okay with that, since I knew it was an older blend. Maybe the pumpkin faded. The steeps I tried this time were from the half ounce pouch, so I assumed that it would be a newer blend. But it tastes the same to me. Not any noticeable pumpkin. I guess maybe that old pouch isn’t that old after all. Oh well. Sri Lankan Pumpkin Chai is amazing stuff though.

Edited to add: Actually, turns out it wasn’t the Pumpkin Chai I’ve tried before, but the Pumpkin Pie black. Also not much pumpkin with that one.

1906 tasting notes

The problem I’ve had with some of Frank’s previous pumpkin teas is that they’re short on actual pumpkin flavour and overdose on cinnamon to compensate. This blend neatly avoids that pitfall and I can clearly taste the smooth, slightly sweet and nutty flavour of the pumpkin. Other people have complained about too much cardamom and cloves in this blend but I personally prefer more cardamom in my chais and I think cloves and pumpkin are a fantastic combination. I’m just drinking it plain right now but I could see this being a great latte as well. Much love.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Anytime it wants to warm up and spring wants to start springing would be great.

I’m running out of pumpkin teas, and will be really sad if I have to pull through the cold weather without them by my side.

Dry, this smells like a spicy chai with dominant notes on the cardamom, cinnamon, and clove. I don’t really pick up much pumpkin.

Once steeped, it feels a bit heavy handed on the clove, so it’s easy to lose the other flavors. There’s definitely a pumpkin-y sweetness present, it’s just easy to lose admidst the spices.

I don’t dislike it, but it’s definitely more chai spice than pumpkin. Of course it makes a satisfying chai latte. I just prefer other pumpkin teas to this one in the end.

Add ins today:

1/2 tsp Pumpkin Spice Torani
2 tbsp Silk light soy milk

rosebudmelissa

Which Pumpkin tea is your favorite?

Lauren | A Quarter to Tea

Of Frank’s it’s the Pumpkin Toffee Dragonwell. Overall it’s a toss up between the Holiday Pumpkin Pie from Fava Tea and the Pumpkin Chai from DAVIDsTEA. :)

rosebudmelissa

Thanks, I’ll have to check those out!

Day 9 from the 12 Teas of Christmas 2014.

This is heavy on the clove and cardamom. A little too heavy for my liking. The pumpkin flavour is very natural, but it has a taste I would identify as ‘raw’, if that makes any sense. I prefer a sweeter, more ‘cooked’ pumpkin flavour, but that’s just personal. I bought this in my last 52teas order before I opened the sample from the box, so it will be interesting to see how the reblend compares to the original. I will write up a more detailed note next time I drink this, but I can’t really remember much more about it for now. I enjoyed it, but I prefer the pumpkin chai from DAVIDs.

Boiling 2 min, 45 sec 1 tsp 7 OZ / 207 ML

I think I would have liked this one more if the clove wasn’t so strong. There was a definite pumpkin flavor, which I like, but it was hard to pick out at times because of the clove. I think if the other spices (cinnamon, cardamom, and black peppercorn) held the same weight as the clove this would be an absolute winner for me. As it is, this is just ok.

Backlog:

In my full-length review of this tea – http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/10/27/pumpkin-chai-blend-from-52teas/ – I found myself wondering if this blend was crafted with 52Teas new black tea base or not. I know that Frank was talking about making another new black tea base but I wasn’t sure if this tea was crafted using that new blend.

Anyway, I enjoyed the black tea base here, it was strong, smooth and robust. A wee bit of astringency but I didn’t find it bothersome.

The flavor of pumpkin shines through. A good amount of spice! A warm spicy chai! I found myself wanting a little more pepper but overall, I enjoyed the spices here, and I liked that I could taste the pumpkin.

Ze_Teamaker

The pumpkin flavor was really strong in this one.

LiberTEAS

yeah and I liked that. It seems so often with the pumpkin chai teas or the ‘pumpkin spice’ teas that they’re all spice and no pumpkin. I liked I could taste the pumpkin.