Maple Forest (Shou Mei/Houjicha Blend)

Green White Blend
Calendula Petals, Green Tea, Natural Flavours, White Tea
Maple, Toasty, Nutty, Roasted, Smooth, Maple Syrup, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Sophia

• “To be honest, I am not a fan of houjicha. The various houjicha chai blends are still lingering around here somewhere because they just do not thrill me. So, given that, I did not have high hopes...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sophia kindly sent me a sample of this tea in our recent swap. She gave it a rave review and I have to agree. The base tea is roasty, nutty, smooth deliciousness! And the maple flavoring is just...” Read full tasting note
  • “Well, today has been such a rough day. Mila has been so fussy lately, I think she is cutting another tooth. I literally haven’t had a moment to myself all day. Thankfully, Ted came to my rescue and...” Read full tasting note
  • “Last week’s tea of the week! I love this tea! The maple is sweet but it isn’t too sugary-sweet thanks to the nutty, roasty-toasty notes from the Houjicha and the soft, earthy notes of the Shou Mei...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

From 52Teas:

Tea of the Week for February 13, 2017!

I’ve made a few different teas with this blend of Houjicha and Shou Mei thus far, but I think this one may just be my favorite. when I first tasted the combination of Shou Mei and Houjicha together, I imagined that maple would be a perfect choice to flavor the tea base. The woodsy flavor of the blend pairs seamlessly with the sweet, delightful maple notes.

This is sweet and maple-y with a nice, toasty background flavor. Slightly earthy, warm, woodsy. Absolutely perfect for this time of year when it seems that the winter will never end – if this is what I’ll be drinking all winter long – then bring it on!

About 52teas View company

So, given that, I did not have high hopes for this one. Boy, was I wrong! This one is just fab. The two teas are an excellent match in this blend and the maple is exactly the wow you need for the houjicha’s woody toastiness. Exactly wow.

Well done, 52Teas. This one is a hit.

Maybe now I can rescue those houjicha chai blends with a shot of maple syrup.

Flavors: Maple, Toasty

hojicha is hit or miss for me depending on the blend

Evol Ving Ness

This is the first time that it is a hit for me. I delight in that. I love possibilities.

Indigobloom

I looooove hojicha, the straight version. With flavours added, I find it tends to add a sharpness that doesn’t sit well with me. Maybe its just the blends I’ve tried

Sophia kindly sent me a sample of this tea in our recent swap. She gave it a rave review and I have to agree. The base tea is roasty, nutty, smooth deliciousness! And the maple flavoring is just right: natural and sweet but not cloying. So yummy!

Flavors: Maple, Nutty, Roasted, Smooth

Well, today has been such a rough day. Mila has been so fussy lately, I think she is cutting another tooth. I literally haven’t had a moment to myself all day. Thankfully, Ted came to my rescue and got her settled while I took a hot shower and relaxed for a minute. Afterwards I, of course, needed to make a cup of tea. What better way to relax than a warm cup of tea, and maple tea to boot!
Maple Forest was one of the teas of the week this month at 52Teas. Unfortunately it is no longer available, but hopefully it will make its return sometime soon because I am now OBSESSED. The tea’s base is very similar to my other favorite, Toasted Marshmallow. It consists of Houjicha (a roasted green tea) and Shou Mei (white tea). The result is a roast-y, toast-y, and smooth drinking tea. Unlike Toasted Marshmallow, this tea contains maple and boy is it DELICIOUS. Because of the toast-yness of the Houjicha/Shou Mei mix, this tea is reminding me an awful lot of Sunday morning pancakes. Delectable! This would be a great cup to have with breakfast.
I certainly made space on my countertop for this blend and it will be happily enjoyed by me daily. I am sad that this tea is gone and glad that I stocked up, but I’m sure it will make another appearance in the future. So keep your eyes peeled if you are interested in trying it!

You can read more of my reviews and join in on some tea-talk with me at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1395929733784446/

Flavors: Maple, Maple Syrup, Roasted, Sweet, Toasty

Inkling

Wow, this sounds amazing!

Sophia

Inkling- have you tried Toasted Marshmallow (Houjicha/shoe mei) from 52 teas?

Inkling

No, I haven’t. They both sound lovely, though!

Last week’s tea of the week! I love this tea! The maple is sweet but it isn’t too sugary-sweet thanks to the nutty, roasty-toasty notes from the Houjicha and the soft, earthy notes of the Shou Mei – which in turn softens the rather assertive roasted flavor from the Houjicha. I think that these two teas in the base work really well together and the maple flavor seems to naturally go with these two teas.

Really lovely – it’s dessert-y but not so sweet that it’s something you’d feel like you can only enjoy as a dessert-y tea! The lighter body makes this a nice late afternoon/early evening tea or if you’re like me and stay up all hours of the night, it works well as a “it’s 2:58am so now is as good a time as any for a cuppa!” too.

Sophia

So excited to try this! Tracking says it’ll be here friday! woo hoooo

VariaTEA

I went to add this to my cart and it’s already gone. I suppose you snooze, you lose.

52Teas

@VariaTEA – let me check the stock, it may be that I miscounted the number of pouches because it doesn’t seem like it should be sold out already.