Candy Cane White Tea

White Tea
Creamy, Peppermint, Vanilla, Sweet
Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

• “From my last mystery bag order! I love a good mint tea. I don’t see too many that combine the mint with white tea. I made sure to get at least one candy cane chunk in the infuser with all these...” Read full tasting note
  • “I brewed this up over an hour ago with the intention of reviewing it for the blog. Then life happened and this got cold. Guess its for the best though since I think I underleafed it. I smell a...” Read full tasting note
  • “What a perfect vanilla peppermint tea. I love that it’s a white tea base so I can drink it after dinner, and it manages to feel lightly creamy without any actual heaviness at all. I didn’t realize...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is last week’s Tea of the Week. I generally have my tea ‘menu’ mapped out for a couple of months ahead of time, mostly because I need to be sure that I have the proper ingredients for each tea...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for December 4, 2017!

I wanted to do a Candy Cane type of tea this holiday season – I haven’t done a ‘minty’ tea for a little while now (Well, except for our Graveyard Mist, but because that’s part of our permanent collection, that doesn’t count!) and I thought the month of December would be the perfect time to create a minty tea with a sweet twist to it. 52Teas had a Candy Cane Black Tea some years ago (long before it was even a fanciful dream for me to take over 52Teas!) that I absolutely adored. And Southern Boy Teas (another division of Zoomdweebies, which was the main company that started 52Teas) had a Candy Cane White Tea made with shou mei fannings that I didn’t really adore. Oh, I liked it alright but it didn’t get me quite as giddy as the Candy Cane Black Tea.

But I wanted a Candy Cane tea – a white Candy Cane Tea using our beautiful, fluffy Bai Mu Dan. And here it is! Bai Mu Dan blended with refreshing peppermint and creamy vanilla bean and bits of candy cane. (These candy canes are organic, gluten-free, allergen-free and, of course: VEGAN!) It’s sweet, crisp with mint flavor with a soft undertone of vanilla, and delightful!

ingredients: white tea

organic ingredients: peppermint, vanilla bean, candy cane (organic cane sugar, organic brown rice syrup, natural peppermint flavor, color added [organic fruit juice]) & natural flavors

About 52teas View company

From my last mystery bag order! I love a good mint tea. I don’t see too many that combine the mint with white tea. I made sure to get at least one candy cane chunk in the infuser with all these huge leaves! Now, occasionally, if I sweeten a tea with anything, it will most likely be half a candy cane I throw in a mug left over from the holidays, so I’m no stranger to candy cane tea! This is perfectly delicious. The flavor of the white tea pulls through the mint, that is both minty and creamy. Not too minty. Definitely balanced like the mint of a candy cane. I’m not sure if the cream is coming from the candy cane, additional flavoring, or the white tea itself, since sometimes a white tea can have a lovely creamy quality to it. But whatever it is, I do appreciate the creamy with the mint. The second steep was only a few minutes after boiling, but it tasted great this way. A balanced blend!
Steep #1 // 2 teaspoons for a full mug// 28 minutes after boiling // 2 1/2 minute steep
Steep #2 // few minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep

I brewed this up over an hour ago with the intention of reviewing it for the blog. Then life happened and this got cold. Guess its for the best though since I think I underleafed it. I smell a touch of candy cane but mostly I get a very, very subtle buttery hay white tea.

What a perfect vanilla peppermint tea. I love that it’s a white tea base so I can drink it after dinner, and it manages to feel lightly creamy without any actual heaviness at all. I didn’t realize the Large size for this one was so small and am actually really sad about it. There’s another order in my future!

Flavors: Creamy, Peppermint, Vanilla

52Teas

I apologize for the size of the “Large” in this case (and the case of all white teas that we produce) – our large size is usually 50g, but 50g of white tea simply would not fit into any pouches that we currently have in stock without crushing the leaves to near dust. Since I respect the leaves far too much to do such a thing and I don’t think we’re planning on having even larger pouches, we must keep our large size pouches at just 25g for white teas at the present time.

Taylor

Oh no, it was totally my fault for not reading the description better! Thank you for the explanation about the white teas though – it makes total sense and I wouldn’t want it any other way!

This is last week’s Tea of the Week. I generally have my tea ‘menu’ mapped out for a couple of months ahead of time, mostly because I need to be sure that I have the proper ingredients for each tea in stock in time for blending. But this is one that I kind of just came up with kind of late in the game. I changed the menu at the end of October to include this tea – because I realized that I didn’t have ANY minty teas around the holiday (with the exception of Graveyard Mist, which is usually in stock) so I needed to remedy that.

Fortunately, even though I didn’t have many of the ingredients for this tea, I can get my herbs locally so I’m able to get them quickly – and the candy canes I got from an online vendor that is really speedy. The candy canes are vegan, gluten free, nut free and organic. Even the color on the candy cane is derived from plant sources rather than artificial coloring. Tasting the candy on it’s own, it’s actually a rather subtle peppermint candy – but it works with the tea.

The tea has a nice sweetness to it, it’s crisp and minty but the vanilla softens it enough so that it’s not like a swig of mouthwash. I love these flavors with the soft taste and texture of the white tea.

Flavors: Peppermint, Sweet, Vanilla