Eggnog Mate

Coffee, Smoke
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for December 23, 2019!

I’ve been doing this Mad Tea Artist thing for 52Teas since June 2015 – and for the last 4+ years (almost 5 years!), I’ve been promising myself (and others) that I would eventually create some Yerba Mate blends. Well, it has been over four years, so I think it’s about time that I actually make good on my promise and craft a Yerba Mate blend!

I taste tested some various brands of unflavored mate to find the one that I liked best so that I knew I had the right base when I started. I found mate that I really enjoyed, but I wasn’t sure if I liked the green mate or the roasted mate best. So I tried the two blended together – and I loved it! It really is the best of both worlds: you get a nice roasty-toasty flavor that is similar to coffee. A slight caramel-y taste. A little earthy.

But what kind of flavor should I add to this blend of green & roasted yerba mate? I looked over my various holiday flavors I have been working with and realized that the one flavor that I haven’t really focused on (except with my Amoda Tea Blends for December) was Eggnog. I knew I wanted an Eggnog flavor for our 12 Teas of Christmas box (as well as my December tea menu) so why not make my 12th Tea of Christmas (which would also be our Tea of the Week for December 23rd) an Eggnog Mate?

So here it is! A blend of green & dark roasted Yerba Mate leaves (both are organic!) blended with Eggnog essence and some freshly shaved nutmeg. The blend is so good! VERY INVIGORATING! It’s also VEGAN, gluten-free & allergen free!

organic ingredients: yerba mate, freshly shaved nutmeg, calendula petals & natural flavors

About 52teas View company

This tasted like a really dark cup of coffee to me. Perhaps I used to much dry leaf? I didn’t get any of the spices or custard notes I would expect from an eggnog tea.

Flavors: Coffee, Smoke

52Teas

I’m not sure how much leaf you used – but yerba mate can be infused for a long period of time without bitterness as it lacks the tannins of tea leaves. So that could be another option – try maybe less leaf and steeping it longer.

#adventageddon Day Twenty Four – 3/7

Final tea from 52Teas, and the last new one from this box. I’m not sure if I’ve ever had a yerba mate blend from either Anne or Frank before – at least, I really can’t think of one anyway. I’m not sure how I feel about this one!? At first it only tasted like yerba mate – grasy, herbaceous and a little bit smoky. However, as it cooled it began to taste a lot more creamy and custard-y, with a hint of spice. I didn’t dislike it at all, but I just didn’t know exactly what to think of it…

I’ll have to try it again, for sure.

52Teas

This is my first Yerba Mate blend. I know that Frank had a couple as well.