Black & Grey Black Tea

Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for July 6, 2020!

Our First Subscriber Creation for July!

For July’s theme, I decided to harness some of our subscriber’s creative tea ideas! I asked them to submit their ideas for a tea flavor & I got some really cool & interesting tea combination ideas from those submissions. Our first comes from a subscriber who LOVES Earl Grey (something I have in common with this subscriber). They wanted a blend of bright, citrus-y bergamot & sweet blackberries with a rich black tea base.

This blend is fantastic! The organic black base is a blend of Yunnan, Assam & Ceylon, focusing primarily on the Yunnan. Then I added some cold-pressed bergamot oil & a bunch of freeze-dried blackberries. And YUMMMMM!

Before brewing, you’ll be treated to the delightful aroma of bergamot. Once it’s brewed, the bergamot softens & allows the blackberry to emerge as the stronger flavor – with bergamot acting as an accent flavor to the sweet blackberries. It’s fruity, it’s sweet & it’s tangy while the black tea base is bold & invigorating.

A really tasty cuppa! It’s organic, VEGAN, gluten-free & allergen-free! If you’re an Earl Grey fan, I think you’ll enjoy this twist on the classic favorite!

Taster size is approximately 15g

organic ingredients: black teas, bergamot oil, blackberries & natural flavor

<><><>

As I’ve said many times before, I love me some bergamot! Earl Grey is probably my all-time favorite when it comes to classic tea flavors. So I got really excited when one of our subscribers suggested this twist on the classic flavor of Earl Grey.

It really delivered too: the blackberry flavor is the star of the show, but the bergamot plays a stunning assist to the blackberry – giving it just the right amount of citrus-y tang to give it a lively flavor. I find this to be more exciting than a simple blackberry tea & more satisfying than your average Earl Grey.

to brew: Use 3g of tea to 12 oz of freshly filtered water heated to near boiling (205°F) and steep for 2 1/2 – 3 minutes. strain & allow to cool for at least 5 minutes.

About 52teas View company

I feel like I want to like this tea more than I actually did.

The idea of a blackberry Earl Grey is so appealing to me, but the blackberry flavour used here reads more jammy or pasty style blackberry and the bergamot is very, very aromatic and floral and those two different directions aren’t able to find middle ground for me as I drink the cup and it’s creating a flavour disconnect. I’m not even sure if a bridge flavour like a vanilla would help here because it’s just sort of like two different style in one cup. Though, it did get a bit better as the mug cooled.

I really do love blackberry black teas on great bases. This is no exception, and has the bonus of some lovely bergamot, which I also have a soft spot for. A really nice variation on an earl grey, and delicious even without the additional of vanilla flavouring, or any cream/sweetener.

One of my favorite EGs. The blackberry is so fresh and vibrant, and works incredibly well with the bergamot. I’ll be quite sad when this is gone.