Earl Grey Lavender

Black Tea, Blue Cornflowers, Lavender Flowers, Natural Bergamot Oil, Natural Creme Flavor, Orange Peels, Vanilla Flavour
Bergamot, Citrus, Cream, Lavender, Malt, Smooth, Floral, Vanilla, Creamy, Earl Grey, Flowers, Rose, Fruity
Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita
Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 2 g 13 oz / 384 ml

• “This is my second time reviewing this tea, as it’s the second sample pouch I’ve gotten my hands on. However, this time it tastes different. The Earl Grey flavors are more muted, as with the...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’ve upped my rating slightly, since I’m more tolerant of bergamot and earl greys now. It’s still not my fave, but that lavender level of taste really evens out the earl grey.” Read full tasting note
  • “Yesterday I hot brewed this to make iced tea. I let it cool on the table and then chilled it in the fridge. Today I am rewarded with a very nice pitcher of tasty tea. The lavender and Earl Grey are...” Read full tasting note
  • “Okay, so Earl Grey Lavender, now. It has a dark prune juice, sherry kind of liquor going on. The smell is almost all vanilla, lavender and bergamot(in that order). And…right off the bat I can...” Read full tasting note

From Adagio Teas

Lavender has a long history of medicinal, culinary and household use. For one, its sweet, floral fragrance is notably soothing, invoking relaxation. Combined with the classic blend of Earl Grey’s citrus and a hint of cream this black tea blend is sure to become a quiet time favorite.

Ingredients: Black tea, lavender, orange peel, blue cornflowers, natural vanilla flavor, natural bergamot flavor, natural creme flavor

Steeping Instructions: 212°F for 3-5 minutes

About Adagio Teas View company

This is my second time reviewing this tea, as it’s the second sample pouch I’ve gotten my hands on. However, this time it tastes different. The Earl Grey flavors are more muted, as with the lavender, though it’s still present. The vanilla/cream taste is much more pronounced, as is the tasty black tea. Plus, there’s something else in it that I don’t remember at all, and it reminds me of pancakes. It’s not a bad thing. In fact, I like it very much. It just makes me wonder.

Yesterday I hot brewed this to make iced tea. I let it cool on the table and then chilled it in the fridge. Today I am rewarded with a very nice pitcher of tasty tea. The lavender and Earl Grey are wonderful iced, and the base tea keeps its strength without turning bitter. I added a quarter cup of sugar to the tea while it was still hot which helps to highlight the bergamot and floral notes without making the tea too sweet.

Mmmm, this is good. I’m sure the pitcher will be empty before the weekend is over. We’re actually supposed to have nice weather here tomorrow, so I might get the chance to sit on my porch sipping iced EG and planning my spring garden. Yay!

Okay, so Earl Grey Lavender, now. It has a dark prune juice, sherry kind of liquor going on. The smell is almost all vanilla, lavender and bergamot(in that order). And…right off the bat I can tell this is going to be too sweet. I, of course, add no sugar or milk and am referring strictly to the flavor, in terms of sweetness.
I’m taking the first sip now…

So yeah, I do not like lavender teas, apparently. Or to be more precise, I do not like this one. It has a Granny-perfume thing going on, that will just not let my tongue enjoy the vanilla earl grey notes. The lavender does add something in that I’m thinking someone may have spilled liquid hand soap in my Earl Grey.

If you like Lavender teas, I’m afraid you’ve wasted your time reading this as it probably does not affect you. If you think you might like Lavender teas, hell, you actually might. Do I like Lavender teas? I don’t know. It actually is kind of growing on me with each sip, and I do actually love lavender lemonade(I have a bakery on a street in my town that makes it.)

But I still half-feel that lavender should remain mostly in the domain of scents and not flavors. I.e. if you have to make a Lavender EG, this is far too much damn lavender.

Jenny O

i’m a peppery lavender junkie, so this sounds perfect! thanks!

Jenny O

ps- lavender teacakes aren’t half bad you know ;)

Sinister

It’s definitely drinkable, and now that I think on it, my first impressions were a bit overplayed. But there is a lavender sweet smack to it that I’m still iffy on. If you like lavender and EG, then Idk how this tea could steer you wrong.

Sinister

Also, Lavender tea cakes? Hmm… It at least sounds like something I should try. I might really like that lavender flavor /with/ tea, rather than in it. I’ll see if I can find some and give them a go. Thanks for the tip, ^^

School’s out, the building is locked down for the summer, and now I just have two days of ESL training at district office before the real vacation starts! At least my morning started off on a high note – my husband made us biscuit, egg, and cheddar sandwiches for breakfast this morning, while I made us each a cup of this.

It’s been a while since I’ve had an Earl Grey Lavender, but I don’t remember the EG taking the backseat in such a decisive way. The lavender and the cream flavor are definitely the dominant notes, while the EG is little more than an aftertaste.

All in all, I think I would have liked this a lot more if it hadn’t been an Earl Grey cream. It’s still an okay tea, with all that lovely caffeine, but I don’t think this will be a cupboard staple.

Earl Grey Lavender has always been one my favorite teas & this was just perfect. The bag upon opening had the most divinely sweet floral scent. It was full of little lavender buds and I couldn’t wait to make myself a cup.

It is sweet, smooth, creamy and delicious. While this variety of tea is something I always want to have on hand, Adagio’s version is definitely going to be my go-to from now on. Even my 3 year old loves when I brew this up- he always asks me to smell it and says “mmm that’s a really good smelling teak!” (can’t convince him that there’s no K at the end of the word tea :P)

I was expecting earl grey with a lavender flourish. What I got was a terrible cup of over-syrup’d coffee. I do not know why, but the ingredients here were more than lavender, black tea, and bergamot oil.

What was even worse was I bought this for my (at the time) girlfriend, who had previously mentioned she enjoyed a lavender earl grey from World Tea Company. I also accidentally overnight-ed it, doubling the cost of the tea.

Adagio has always been hit or miss. Some of their teas are excellent, and some are absolutely no good.

Any suggestions on a decent earl grey lavender?

Kashyap

if you havent had a chance to try the organic version from Tao of Tea I recommend it…also I could send you a sample of a version of this that we make at Staufs that is just earl grey and organic lavender…just send me a message

mr-tea

Hi xhado123,
Reading your post I couldn’t help it but to recommend Earl Grey Lavender from The Tea Company. If you’re interested in a sample only just write them saying you’re a critic and they’ll send you some, they’re really friendly. https://www.theteacompany.com

I also enjoyed reading your experience about working at Teavana. Thanks for sharing this!

Ah yes, the spitting image of Adagio’s Earl Grey Moonlight; exact in every way except they added lavender to it. Not saying that’s bad or complaining, just poking some fun.

Joking aside, this tea is very good and despite it tasting somewhat strong and having a “up in your face” flavor in a syrupy sort of sense, I still find this tea to be very delectable. I wish that they toned down the amount of vanilla flavoring in this tea so the lavender would be more prominent nor would I complaint at all if they added more lavender to this, the lavender adds a pleasant undertone to the vanilla. This tea is good, however, it is far too similar to their Earl Grey Moonlight tea so I only ever end up drinking a cup of either this, or the moonlight. Not the greatest, but it’s fairly decent.

P.S. I’m sorry for not putting any reviews up lately. I have plenty of teas left to review but my motivation to keep on writing them is blegh. Slowly but surely, friends.

I bought this tea as “Lavender Earl Grey” from The Angry Tea Room some time ago. This is one of my favorite Earl Grey blends. I used to hate bergamot, but once I adapted my palate to its flavor, I initially was most interested in EG blends, that would take the edge off it slightly by including a few other flavors to play with, and since I love lavender, this seemed a good fit for me. Even better, this blend also incorporated the typical “Earl Grey Creme” vanilla and creme flavorings.

The leaf smells heavenly; the bergamot and vanilla remind me of a lemon meringue or key lime pie, because it is so citrusy but desserty at the same time, and there is a sweet, slightly minty lavender aroma that mixes beautifully with that sweet citrus scent.

The warm cup is lovely; a lot of lavender teas I try are either too heavy-handed on the lavender, so it comes out with a sort of floral-bitterness, or way too light on the lavender, so you don’t really taste its flavor at all. This one has just the right balance. The base tea is nice and dark but the astringency is quite mild compared to most Earl Greys I’ve tried (which I appreciate!), and there is this nice blend of bergamot and lavender flavors that hit the tongue mid-sip, with the lavender lingering a touch in the aftertaste. Occassionally the creme notes come through on the roof of my mouth; it’s a subtle note, and I think it mostly pulls back the base from having that strong bite that I often get in Earl Greys; this one is much more smooth.

I enjoy this plain, but the flavor is just perfect to take London Fog style as a latte with vanilla almond milk. It adds a delightful creaminess and the vanilla almond milk pushes the vanilla and creme notes to the forefront a bit.

This tea makes a fantastic iced Arnold Palmer, which is how I’ve prepared it today. I made a strong brew of four tsp. to two cups water, hot brewed, which I mixed with two cups lemonade, and then let the tea chill in the fridge overnight before drinking. It is divine! The sweet vanilla/creme note still comes through as a sort of natural sweetness to the iced tea, and the lavender and bergamot are such complimentary flavors to the citrus of the lemonade. I could drink this stuff all summer! Easily one of the best iced teas I’ve had yet.

This is just such a versatile tea that can be enjoyed so many ways in many different weather conditions. I plan to always keep it in my cupboard.

Flavors: Bergamot, Citrus, Cream, Lavender, Malt, Smooth

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 12 OZ / 350 ML
ashmanra

I dislike bergamot on Ceylon but like it on Keemun. And like you, I enjoy it with some other flavors to counteract the sour taste.

tea-sipper

This is one of my favorites from Angry Tea Room. They still have it on the site… for now.

Mastress Alita

@ashmanra: I’ve adapted to it more and more the more I’ve had it, though it definitely depends on exactly what kind of bergamot flavoring/oil is being used, and with what sort of base (ya, the natural citrus notes in ceylon can definitely push it over the edge depending on the flavoring, or if it is used with too heavy of a hand…) I definitely have started narrowing down to my EG favorites, I think. I think my favorite plain EG is Steven Smith Teamakers, and if I’m not mistaken, that one is on a Chinese black base and has this sort of natural black currant sort of flavor to me. This and 52Teas Foggy Coconut are probably my favorite among the flavored EGs.

ashmanra

Good to know! I do like Harney’s Earl Grey Supreme pretty, and Nina’s of Pairs had one that was my very favorite for a plain Earl because it was a solid Keemun base, but they switched to Ceylon years ago and ruined it for me. I don’t even like high grown Ceylon like Uva Highlands and Lover’s Leap much as it is, so adding more citrus to it reallt does push it over the edge for me.

Lovely tea for the afternoon! The bergamot and lavender blend very nicely!

Flavors: Bergamot, Floral, Lavender