Spiced Chai

Chai Tea
Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg, Cloves, Dirt, Mud, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by arrjay

From Bigelow

Like the centuries-old traditional Chai of far-away India, Bigelow’s tantalizing blend of black tea with exotic spices beckons!
Using only the finest tea from high-elevation gardens and premium spices, Bigelow has captured the mystery of Chai in each and every tea bag, carefully wrapped in a flavor experience every time you brew.
Take it black or add milk and sweetener and journey to a place far away…

About Bigelow View company

I was desperate and lonely. I was weak. It was bad.
I tried it as first with out any milk, and decided it needed it. Didn’t help. The smell of is milky and spicy/sweet and absolutely yum. The taste was the exact opposite. Its weak with a hint of spice and then bitter. A boon is that the spice is in fact well rounded and not just cinnamon, but I had to search for it.
Overall, unpleasant, but I could deal.

In one word- Disgusting.

I simply can not fathom how awful this tea is. Something went horribly wrong here. I don’t even know where to start, oh the fact that it tastes like drinking a cardboard box? It tastes artificial and weak even after literally leaving the tea bag in for hours.

If you think mud is an exotic flavor, you’re going to love this. Otherwise, you might want to think twice. This tea smelled wonderful while brewing, but in the cup the taste is muted and muddled. There is some kind of spice there—I know because 1) it says so on the package and 2) I can feel the bite of something on my tongue, but I can’t place what the spice is and it’s aroma is barely discernible during drinking. It’s like a mouthful of flat, flavorless… I don’t know what. It was unbearable without sugar, and it didn’t improve with it. I didn’t add milk because I didn’t want to waste milk. Take a pass on this one.

This is just a weak spiced black tea. Very weak. I didn’t approve.

This is one tea you may want to leave steeping in your cup as you’re drinking it. I usually do that, putting too much creamer in it on purpose so it will balance out in the end. I just started doing it because it seemed like my usual steeping time was never long enough. But then I’m one that likes chai on the strong side.

Boiling 8 min or more

We went to a nice French restaurant on our honeymoon, and I saw this one in the basket. It went well with the chicken curry I had, and I thought the flavor had a nice balance. It’s been about a week since we went, so I can’t completely recall the flavor. The smell of the teabag has a predominance of cinnamon and clove. Is clove in chai, or am I actually smelling cardamom?
Sidetrack: I tried cardamom gelato a couple weeks ago, and it was amazing! Any chai lover will adore it.

I had planned to come home in between my morning appointment and the rest of my daily agenda, but I had underestimated how much time would be spent waiting in the hospital waiting room and then in the examining room.

I then opted to stay in the city and continue my day without my usual stash of steeped tea to see me through the rest of the day. Hence, I stopped into a restaurant and got this to go. Added half and half to it and loved it so much that I came back an hour later to get another one, although the second one was not quite as good as I had not steeped it long enough. With the half and half and the large bit of nutmeg in the blend, it tasted just like eggnog with a dash of ginger and cinnamon. Really good. That said, there was no tea flavour to speak of. I am not usually a fan of Bigelow teas, but this in my books is a winner in the context of a good drink, not necessarily a good tea if you are wanting a tea tea. I hope I will be able to find it in shops to stock at home though I don’t tend to keep half and half at home and it likely won’t be quite as good black.

Hmm, now that I have read the rest of the reviews of this tea and discovered that the rest of the tea world hated it, I am wondering whether I was tricked into loving this by the half and half—the first bit of half and half I have consumed in months and months.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg

Better than the Vanilla in my opinion, but I prefer a purer chai. This is where I start to get to be a tea snob.

185 °F / 85 °C 3 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

This is not the worst tea I’ve ever tasted, but it’s definitely not one I’d say I enjoy. I don’t know which black tea they used is in this one, but it must be weak, because it’s masked by the smattering of spices…which aren’t all bad, but not the greatest in combination. I made the mistake of judging chais on this tea early in my tea drinking life. I have recently had some chai teas that I really like, but I waited a long time to try them. I’ll finish out the 20 bags in this box because I hate to waste tea…but I won’t buy it again.

THE RUNDOWN
1) Free teabag at the chiropractor. But because some people say I don’t give bagged tea enough credit, here goes. Smells like cloves, mud, and dirt.
2) First Taste: Yup, definitely cloves. The whole things tastes like someone went a little hard on the muddling spices at the company christmas party. A bit of imitation vanilla there too. At least it’s warm.
3) Second Taste: I can barely taste tea, and this is supposed to be Chai? No way. There’s a bit of nutmeg too, but not in a good way. Almost an acidic taste too.
4) Final Thought: I won’t be drinking this again. And lord knows I’ll stick to my feelings on Bigelow and Lipton until I turn red. No thanks

Flavors: Cloves, Dirt, Mud, Nutmeg, Vanilla