Pure Grade Matcha

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by CrowKettle

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

The Detox Warrior. The Energising Elixir. The Slimming Superhero. The Hangover Destroyer. These are some of our nicknames for the Superhero Superfood – Matcha!

Matcha is a traditional Japanese powdered green tea with up to 10 x the benefits of regular green tea, 7 x the vitamin C as orange juice and 3 x the energy boost as an espresso shot! It’s packed full of antioxidants, minerals and nutrients and is said to aid weight loss, lowering blood pressure and increasing concentration levels and clarity of mind.

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

061/365

This is the first “straight” matcha I’ve tried from Bluebird, mostly because I’m just starting to discover their matcha collection. Their flavoured matcha is awesome, but it’s always nice to get a point of reference from an unflavoured variety. This one isn’t their normal base for flavoured matcha, though, I don’t think. I’m guessing that’s probably their mixology matcha.

Anyway, I made this one up last night initially as a latte. It’s very grassy, although smooth and palatable for all that. It’s also more savoury than I was expecting, which struck a slightly odd balance with the sweetish, full-fat milk. I think a different milk would probably be a good idea, when I drink this one again. Either that, or I try and sweeten the whole affair so that it seems more in tune.

One thing that did bother me was the powdery quality. I found it with their Ice Cream Matcha, although not to the same extent. It was definitely worse here. I know it’s not my whisking, because that’s thorough these days – I know the pitfalls of not whisking enough from previous experience, shall we say. That’s my only complaint, though. Otherwise, it’s a tasty, quality matcha (although I still prefer flavoured!)

Day three from this year’s advent calendar: haven’t had this one quite yet. Reserving this note for my review.

I haven’t actually tried any Matcha from Bluebird Tea so I am excited to finally cross that box. I also like the little tin, I plan on re-using it to make a Matcha lipgloss for it in the near future. I may even do a tutorial for it.

Bluebird describe this tea as “Highest quality Japanese matcha powder shaded two weeks prior to harvest. “

The Matcha is a beautiful bright green colour and quite fine in powder. It produced a beautiful foam.

Flavour is light and smooth with sweet grass and soft vegetal notes that linger in the after taste. This is very easy to drink, it slips down with ease. Perhaps one of the smoothest Matcha I have tried, though I found it perhaps too easy for my every day needs. A little more flavour would have been preferential for me but still it was a nice Matcha. Also a note to say the foam was great, the last few Matcha samples I had from other companies didn’t whisk too well but this foamed beautifully.

Given that it was a higher quality than I expected I may try a few others from them. They do a few flavours that sound interesting.