Hummingbird 2013 Spring Jing Mai Ancient Tree Raw Puer

Pu-erh Tea
Astringent, Bitter, Creamy, Floral, Pleasantly Sour, Sweet, Butter, Thick, Autumn Leaf Pile, Earth, Tobacco, Wet Wood, Fruity, Nectar, Brown Sugar, Mineral, Raisins, Peach, Grass, Herbaceous, Maple, Powdered sugar, Sap
Edit tea info Last updated by mrmopar

3 Images

• “Just finished a nice dinner and ready for some more tea. I’ve been really wanting to try this one. The coins smell so fruity in the sample bag, and they easily break in half. One half goes into the...” Read full tasting note
  • “Backlog. The second of my Bitterleaf puerh samples. This tea had an inviting wet earth and woodsy aroma. I detected a little fruit as well – plums, or maybe raisins? The 1st steep was rich and...” Read full tasting note
  • “Great texture on this jing mai sheng – I got nice creamy feels. The flavor notes are sweet vegetal, cream, buttery, wet stones mineral, tobacco, and raisin with a floral fragrance. I also boiled...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’ve tried this one from Bitterleaf a few times in the past few days. It’s another pretty good one. I got the sample made up of three 10g mini-cakes. The dry leafs smell incredibly sweet, with...” Read full tasting note

From Bitterleaf Teas

The flagship of our collection, this raw Puer is best described as sweet, floral, fragrant and complex. Made solely from spring ancient tree material that has aged slightly in two years, its flavour profile has already started to develop.

This tea brews consistently well, even producing good results from accidental over-steeps. The Huigan is gentle in its approach an long lasting, accompanied by a salivating sensation. As with all of our teas, this was chosen because it is great to drink now, but also shows excellent potential for storage of any duration.

About Bitterleaf Teas View company

Just finished a nice dinner and ready for some more tea. I’ve been really wanting to try this one. The coins smell so fruity in the sample bag, and they easily break in half. One half goes into the gaiwan, weighing in at about 5 grams. I give it a rinse, let it rest for a moment, and then do a quick steep. The liquor comes out a light gold with a very subtle aroma, while the wet leaves remain very fragrant.

The first sip is light and buttery with a very creamy mouthfeel. The next steep remains lighter in flavor, and the third steep (after I had to step away from the tea for a while) comes through stronger and sweeter, with more distinct florals quite similar to the aroma of the leaf.

It doesn’t take long for this one to mellow out, and I feel like its 3 years of age is very apparent, as it has definitely been softened enough that it does require some attention to get the most out of what it has to offer.

I didn’t really get any noticeable bitterness or astringency from it, and I didn’t steep it particularly carefully either. That could just be my tastebuds, though. In any case, it was very delicious, and definitely one I can see myself drinking again and again. I will probably revisit it in the morning, as I’m sure the leaves still have plenty to offer me.

Flavors: Butter, Floral, Sweet, Thick

5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Haveteawilltravel

A favorite of mine. This is a super easy steeper, and it does well during travels.

Backlog. The second of my Bitterleaf puerh samples.

The 1st steep was rich and earthy. I get wet wood and autumn leaves. Very smooth with no off flavors. It helps to have a cookies or other sweets nearby to counter the small tinge of bitterness that creeps in towards the end. Matcha pocky paired well with this tea.

In the 2nd steep, the earthiness softens and notes of tobacco emerge. In later steeps, it develops a more vegetal, green tea like character.

While I liked this tea, I preferred the Spring Yiwu Puerh more. Compared to it, this is less sweet and earthier. It also lasts longer without becoming metallic.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Earth, Tobacco, Wet Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

Great texture on this jing mai sheng – I got nice creamy feels. The flavor notes are sweet vegetal, cream, buttery, wet stones mineral, tobacco, and raisin with a floral fragrance. I also boiled this sheng, so you likely can get sweeter if you played with it. Just a light amount of bitterness, but overall easy to drink and flexible to steep.

Full review on Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/2013-hummingbird-spring-jing-mai-sheng-puer-bitterleaf-teas/

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 1 g 1 OZ / 15 ML
Matu

Yea I definitely would like to try a sample off a big cake to compare with the little coins. The coins certainly seemed a bit more chopped to me.

I’ve tried this one from Bitterleaf a few times in the past few days. It’s another pretty good one. I got the sample made up of three 10g mini-cakes. The dry leafs smell incredibly sweet, with mostly floral qualities. They smell a touch fruitier but still quite sweet after a rinse.

The first two steeps are decently thick with a very sweet nectar flavor. There also could be some fruitiness in there as well.

For the next three steeps, as the chunks that were in there started to open up a bit, I had to watch out for the astringency. It came on quickly, but as long as I kept the steep times short, it was easy enough to hold in check. The astringency did still present itself on the tip of my tongue when I sipped, but was followed up by a very sweet note on the finish. Some of that sweet nectar, but also a straight sugary, whipped cream type of note as well. It was almost too sweet on the finish.

For the next six steeps, bringing the session through 11 infusions, the flavors were more pleasantly balanced. I was still doing flash steeps for most of these ones, as I found that was the only way to keep the tea from getting to astringent. There was still a very slight prick of astringency on the front of the sip, less than before, and a nectar sweet finish, but not as cloying as previous. I think the best part of this tea was most evident in these steeps: the lingering aftertaste. It was a nasal, floral flavor/aroma that remained in my mouth for a few minutes after taking a sip. The texture was still nice and thick, more creamy than oily. The texture mixed with the fruity notes caused me to write “banana” in my notes at least once.

I got another five or six steeps out of this one, by now being able to raise the steep times more drastically without worrying about any of the astringency previously looming. These infusions were lighter, with less of a deep sweetness and some higher/more airy fruity notes. A pretty good finish to the session!

I think this was a pretty good tea, but that astringency was unexpected. It’s a mean hummingbird if you don’t treat it well. I have a slight suspicion that these mini-cakes are composed of slightly more chopped material than the large cake would be, as my leaves were kind of chopped up looking. Nowhere near the extent of say a factory tuo, but much more than most of the teas I try from BLT, W2T, CLT, etc. That would explain why I need to keep the steep times fast for much of the session.

Flavors: Astringent, Floral, Fruity, Nectar, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Got this tea in the “RAW & RIPE PUER TEA GIFT PACK”.
First, the small coins are so great! I haven’t gotten a full cake yet so these feel like a nice start. I ran it through a wash and then picked the leaves apart, mostly keeping them unbroken. The dry leaf is floral and raisin. The wet leaf, like many ancient trees has a great mineral sent and still has that raisin or musk grape. The smell is surprisingly watery and mineral but The flavor is bright and lively.

They say 12 steeps on the package, It seemed like around steep 4 it died and I almost gave up on it. But the color of the liquor was still bright so I steeped it again and it blew up! The energy hit and the sweetness was soo strong like a thick brown sugar.
I’m on my 6th right now and it’s getting even better, my forehead is hot, the sweet is melt in my mouth.. the leaves are super full now.
It’s amazing how much this little coin expanded!!

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Mineral, Raisins

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g

I’ve been meaning to get to this sample sooner than later, but considering the large amount of samples already building in my cupboard, I haven’t had the chance to sit down for a session with this one until last night/today. Plus, I’ve been bad at noting everything I drink, so the reviews are lacking considering the tea being consumed on a daily basis. However, it is my goal to take the time eventually to backlog everything that I have been drinking, and get those reviews out there.
Now, back to this tea….
I must note that I was unsure about this tea after steep 2 & 3, considering there were so many bitter notes to the tea, that it was almost unpalatable. Fortunately, because the first steep was so sweet & floral, I knew that there’d be potential for the tea to improve as time went on. After steeps 2 & 3, the tea started to round up with the floral notes again. This had lasted a few steeps in, at which point, there was a slight peachy profile during steep # 7. This hadn’t lasted as long as I had hoped, but the consistency with the floral notes had remained throughout the session—which made me happy.

I hadn’t noted anything else about the profile, other than it had lasted 16 total steeps. I’ve been wanting something good to drink, and had found a majority of the teas I had started, weren’t exactly the teas I had wanted. The Hummingbird was pleasantly delightful, and had satisfied the necessary needs for a quality & delicious tea. I was happy that the session continued for as long as it had, too.

Flavors: Floral, Peach

(Reviewed in the 10g “coin” format)

First off, this tea is just the cutest. I want to hug him, and pet him, and squeeze him, and call him George. But probably not squeeze him TOO hard, his compression isn’t all that tight.

The dry leaf aroma is enchanting. I double checked after steeping, and I did in fact use artesinal spring water, which I was wondering if I hadn’t accidentally swapped with water from the river Lethe. I drank several steeps without having any particular memory of this tea.

I think the biggest flaw here, to my tastes, is that this production is the epitome of “all right”. The very definition of “okay”. If there was a Best Choice or Great Value brand for sheng, I’d expect it to taste pretty exactly like this, only less cute and without the great dry leaf aroma.

The wet leaf actually looked to be in very good condition, and leads me to wonder if perhaps the smaller quantity pressing here has led to faster aging, causing a tea that should still be relatively young to mimic the “awkward phase” of sheng where it’s neither young nor aged but just sort of… there.

Or it could just be I had an off day.

Either way, though, if I’m buying something youngish from Bitterleaf, Secret Garden, 24K, and Winter Wings were all stellar choices. This however… unless you’re planning a sheng tasting for 500 newbies and need something to be inoffensive to as many of them as possible, I’d stick to their other options.

Stinks to give a review like this to a company I’m very fond of, but if I don’t “call ’em as I see ’em”, these notes are useless to everyone.

Fortunately, I still have many other of their teas on my radar to order. Release your new teas Bitterleaf… pretty please? <3

Matu

I think the 30g I have coming are in the teeny coin format :P

Wocket

Yeah, both the 30 and 70 g options are coins. Of course, the coins could be unrelated to my preferences, maybe I’m just allergic to Jingmai.

Bitterleaf

The honest opinion is much appreciated! We’ve been so caught up in our 2016 teas that I think today is a good day to return to this one, in both coin and full cake format. The brewing parameters require tweaking between the two, but results can also be quite different.

Don’t worry, we have a few more tasty treats on the way ;)

This one was unusual. Definitely green with a bit of the bitterness that I associate with a sheng, but a lot sweeter with the kind of sweet woodsiness you get from a clove cigar. It does not taste like clove exactly, but that’s one of the few things that I thought of. Definitely more approachable for a newbie with the sourness that you may or may not get from apricots (which could just be me). Interesting.

I’ve been very interested in this company. I’ve had their shou, but I’ve yet to try any of their sheng. Luckily, a small coin of this made it’s way over to me. The small puerh coin comes in a clever wrapper in a convenient 6g amount. I unwrapped the little treat and gave the tea a sniff. The small sheng chip had a nice spring grass scent with a perfume of light floral. I took in an undertone of sweet wood and possible iris. The disk was very aromatic. I warmed up my yixing and placed the coin inside, the fit was perfect (see photo). I let the tea open a little and lifted the lid to take a whiff. The scent was thick and sweet with a light woodiness. I took in some heady maple, nectar, and the same light floral brightness. I washed the coin with colder water once, then twice more with hotter water to open in up. Then, I poured myself a nice cup. The flavor was perfect! The taste begins extremely sweet and with a lasting flavor. I taste brown sugar at the forefront with confectioners sugar at the back. The tea carries a maple wood base the easily lifts these delectable flavors up and around the palette. The next steeping yields the same sweet liquor; however, the base has moved into an interesting sap and herb taste. This is surprisingly very good. I say surprisingly because I have doubts about any compressed puerh under 100g. The tea ended with some light bitterness with a lingering astringency. The qi was very slight but in the right way. This is what I consider a happy tea. I say this because it doesn’t give me that high energy, cooling sensation, fuzzy stomach, butterflies, or sweaty palms reaction, rather; this tea puts a smile on my face and makes the sun shine. I like these kinds of teas, and I usually only experience this with northern puerh and Nepalese blacks. I will hopefully be getting more.

Flavors: Astringent, Brown Sugar, Floral, Grass, Herbaceous, Maple, Powdered sugar, Sap, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Daylon R Thomas

LP asked me before if I heard of that company or tried it yet. Their website is beautiful, and they normally recommend the pu-erh’s to certain levels of experience which makes me happy. Though to be honest I have no idea what my PuErh experience would be because I’ve sampled Sheng, Shu, and Moonlights, but have had very unique reactions to each. I found that I usually prefer the moonlights, or any lighter pu-erh. Which brings me to this question: is that on the greener side, or the blacker side?

mrmopar

I have a couple of these waking up I should be brewing shortly.

Haveteawilltravel

They are super tasty and on the greener side; however, they are far from fresh puerh. They are quite smooth and sweet.

GCTTB

I wanted to try this one before i send out the box today/tomorrow so i’m working on sipping through this one now. I vastly prefer shou to sheng, but i’m always open to trying new teas in case i find that hidden gem that i love.
woke the tea up and then let it sit for a bit – these tiny bricks are fairly compressed.

Initial steepings of this one are quite nice. This is, so far, a milder sort of sheng – light on the vegetal sort of taste i don’t love – smooth and there’s a hint of sweetness starting to poke through. interesting to see how this plays out this morning

Bitterleaf

Good call on letting the tea open a bit after the rinse. These mini cakes tend to take considerably longer to open up compared to a regular cake. I’ve been known to cheat with these and give them a poke or two with my tea needle early on…