2014 Yiwu "Iron Forge" Huang Pian Shou Puerh Tea

Pu-erh Tea
Umami, Cocoa, Leather, Mineral, petrichor, Wet wood, Chocolate, Brown Sugar, Wood, Mushrooms, Wet Wood, Smoke, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Crimson Lotus Tea
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 4 oz / 111 ml

2 Images

• “I cannot believe I didn’t write my tasting notes down for this, but the short of it is that I loved it. Most shou that I’ve had so far has been “high” leaf gradelike gongting, gnwl. This is...” Read full tasting note
  • “Very clean shou, I even took a sip of the rinse and it was perfectly drinkable. Tastes of petrichor, mineral, decaying wood, and leather with a little bit of cocoa. Not super complex, but tasty...” Read full tasting note
  • “From the very first steep, Iron Forge joined the ranks of my favorite ripe pu’ers. The early infusions have a delightful smooth texture and a pleasant hot chocolate thing going, which I haven’t...” Read full tasting note
  • “Just finished up my first session. The dry leaf is actually pretty unique with a very clean refreshing aroma of petrichor and spearmint. Wet, it loses the spearmint but the petrichor holds strong...” Read full tasting note

From Crimson Lotus Tea

Forged deep in the forested mountains of Yiwu this tea brews mellow and smooth. With a potent warming energy that lights a fire in your belly this tea is perfect for cold, dark, winter mornings.

This tea is made from huang pian leaves. It will brew mellow, sweet, and smooth with deep mineral notes and a petrichor aroma.

There are two 250g bricks in this bamboo wrapped package. You can take one out and break it up to brew with now and save the other for later.

Use 5-7 grams of leaves and brew with 6-8 ounces of water at or near boiling. Wash twice for 3s each, then start with a quick steep of 8-10s. With each re-steep adjust the steep time to your taste.

About Crimson Lotus Tea View company

I cannot believe I didn’t write my tasting notes down for this, but the short of it is that I loved it. Most shou that I’ve had so far has been “high” leaf gradelike gongting, gnwl. This is expressly not that, and felt very different. I see that someone else referred to this as “barbecue chip” scent which isn’t….wrong I suppose but I thought it was interesting. Overall this tasted very savory, rich, umami, almost like tomato paste and almost salty? Good stuff, try some if you ever get the chance. Very clean, not fishy at all, and not sickly sweet like some shou. This is definitely on the savory spectrum.

Flavors: Umami

brutusK

I need to actually remember to upload my tasting notes…

Very clean shou, I even took a sip of the rinse and it was perfectly drinkable. Tastes of petrichor, mineral, decaying wood, and leather with a little bit of cocoa. Not super complex, but tasty and super clean. Also it got me feeling tea drunk which is unusual for a shou.

Flavors: Cocoa, Leather, Mineral, petrichor, Wet wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 5 OZ / 140 ML
tanluwils

petrichor?

tperez

It’s a word for the smell after it rains

tanluwils

i didn’t know there was such a word. I’d say it’s an apt descriptor.

teepland

I am so glad you used this descriptor (petrichor), @tperez! I have wanted to use a word for that scent with a number of teas and never knew there was a word for it! I always resorted to using “wet stone” as a descriptor, which is similar to petrichor, but not exactly it. I am going to have to remember to use petrichor when appropriate!

From the very first steep, Iron Forge joined the ranks of my favorite ripe pu’ers. The early infusions have a delightful smooth texture and a pleasant hot chocolate thing going, which I haven’t quite encountered in other teas. Unfortunately, this is a shou that peters out quicker than most; after four or five steeps, Iron Forge loses that special character and fades to a thin, unremarkable drink. However, when it’s good, it’s remarkably good, and it’s well worth getting at least a sample to get that experience.

Notes:

Flavors: Chocolate

Just finished up my first session. The dry leaf is actually pretty unique with a very clean refreshing aroma of petrichor and spearmint. Wet, it loses the spearmint but the petrichor holds strong with additions of brown sugar and clean damp wood deep in the forest. Taste opens up with petrichor, wood, and a mineral vegetal taste (similar to tastes brought out by Jianshui clay). As I get more steepings in the vegetal taste becomes more mineral and then dry wood. Medicinal tastes pop up occasionally and when pushed in later infusions the tea isn’t sweet though still not bitter. The mouthfeel is great – slippery and oily right off the bat with just enough astringency to produce tingling. Overall, I’m pleasantly surprised. The later infusions do lack a bit of complexity but this is a huangpian and the earlier infusions are not lacking in any way.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Mineral, petrichor, Wood

Between teas like this one and White2Tea’s Brown Sugar, I don’t know why anybody makes Huangpian into sheng. Of course, that’s just my personal taste talking, but I really think it does better as shou than sheng.

Iron Forge is very much a woody shou, with some other “foresty” or petrichor notes going on as well. Longevity was middle of the road for shou, I’d say.

Good tea, but I likely won’t pick up a brick. I seem to slightly prefer w2t’s Brown Sugar in terms of my huangpian shou – though I would by no means be sad if I somehow did end up with a brick of Iron Forge too…

Flavors: Mushrooms, petrichor, Wet Wood, Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Sipdown

While rummaging through my tea samples from swaps, I found this hidden gem at the bottom of the stash. I threw the remaining leaf (10g) into a 200 ml gaiwan, and made a go of it.

Flavor: I started this late in the evening/early morning before bed. The first notes were cinnamon, earth, & wet rocks. Today, as I kept brewing at longer times, I noticed more of the cinnamon/earth notes throughout. Definitely a smooth, easy tea. I’d recommend it, but it seems that it has all sold out.

I’ll definitely miss this sample, but I’m happy to have tried it while I could. :)

MrQuackers

Probably made for dwarves :))

Crimson Lotus Tea

We’ll have more for sale on the site this Summer! <3

S.G. Sanders

Awwwww yeeeeeah! :D

Bought this quite a while ago and am just getting around to trying it. It got lost among my puerh but got found last night. This is a fairly nice tasting ripe puerh. I agree with Rich that it is an earthy, woodsy type of puerh, although the fermentation flavor eventually faded and a nice sweet note was left behind. Not sugar sweet, hard to describe but it is good.

I steeped this tea twelve times in a 160ml Solid Silver teapot with 14.7g leaf and boiling water. I gave it a 10 second rinse. I steeped it for 5 sec, 5 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, 30 sec, 45 sec, 1 min, 1.5 min, and 2 min. It would have gone a few more steeps, the leaves were not done yet but I was.

Boiling 14 g 5 OZ / 160 ML
Simon Sim

Not many huang pian ripe out there. Would love to try but it was sold out.

The smell of this tea reminds me of the first shou I ever tried, which I think was some kind of Numi puerh. It reminds me of crab boil, so I’m guessing it smells like one of the spices in Old Bay Seasoning. I just don’t know which spice it is.

Fortunately, this smell didn’t really translate into the brew. I was expecting the brew to be much fuller bodied, but it was very light. It tastes woody, smoky, and sweet. There’s also a bit of lingering spice, perhaps sandalwood? I’m not good with spice identification.

After steep 10, it starts to get less woody and more smoky, sweet minerals. Very enjoyable, but nothing I would buy to keep around.

Flavors: Mineral, Smoke, Sweet, Wood

Gongfu brewed this tea gets an amazing amount of infusions compared to most shou puerhs. This is a light, sweet and smooth mellow shou with good mineral notes that I normally associate with wuyi oolong.

This shou is quite woodsy, wet earth forest floor, lightly shroom and mineral sweet. It very much so tastes like how the forest smells on a rainy day on the west coast. Later steepings it develops a more mineral and wet stones sweet taste.

A very good daily drinker and a great first shou cake for a new pu drinkers as the price is really nice for 500g. It’s very approachable and easy to drink, not over thick or bitter.

Full review on Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/2014-iron-forge-shou-puer-crimson-lotus-tea-tea-review/

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 1 g 1 OZ / 15 ML
mrs.stenhouse12

This sounds so good!

Rui A.

Off shopping I go again! That sounds my cuppa of tea. Thank you for the review.

boychik

I like this brick. I use less leaf compared to other shou as its potent. Two rinses ( usually one ) and it steeps forever. I really like big leaf shou for its durability

Rui A.

Going to order it tomorrow. It is starting to sound better and better!

Lindsay

I do not need more tea. I most definitely do not need a 500g brick of shou puer. My god Lindsay, quit drooling over those pictures and get a grip! (Great review, btw) :)