2008 Jingmai Sheng / Raw Puerh Maocha

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Honey, Sour, Hay, Sweet, Autumn Leaf Pile, Dry Grass, Fig, Mineral, Pear, Stonefruits, Apricot, Astringent, Bamboo, Bitter, Chestnut, Creamy, Honeydew, Honeysuckle, Sugarcane, Tannic, Mint
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Crimson Lotus Tea

From Crimson Lotus Tea

This is a rare tea blend. We are quite pleased to be able to offer it. This tea has been aging in Jingmai loose since 2008. This is a blend of young and old tree material. Back in 2008 in Jingmai they didn’t differentiate material as much. It’s rare to find Jingmai stored material. Jingmai is a protected export only tea growing region. Once leaf material leaves Jingmai it can’t come back. Protecting their borders is a task they take seriously.

This tea is phenomenal! The honey aromas are so deep and rich it’s almost unbelievable. Were we to press this material it would lose the magic aroma it has now. We’re happy to offer this tea as maocha.

About Crimson Lotus Tea View company

its back in stock. I am so happy.

This is, for me, the kind of time when the puerh gods are at peace & the flavour planets align. The huigan combines in my throat, mouth & head to form a wondrous taste. I mean seriously, this stuff has returning fruit game.

This is a perfect example of how sheng can taste once in the mouth, and then transform into something else a few minutes later. It is really soft & juicy, forgiving, even a hint of smoke or tobacco (and I hate that profile usually) but balanced in such a way it makes them all work.

I am grateful to a bad pasty for sharing a sample with me in the first place, and I would also like to thank the fact it was out of stock when I went to buy some after said sample, which caused a great low that made this high even higher -

I emailed Glen a couple of weeks ago saying how much I liked it and he informed me they have bought more and its in stock again.

Delicious stuff.

Sqt

Tempted, but confused. Don’t see this on the website.

Rasseru

its not been put up yet – you can email CLT and just do a paypal transfer.

Rasseru

its 45c/g abouts. They do it in a nice clay pot but I asked for a larger amount without the pot

Sqt

Woosh, there goes my money. Was this shipped from China or the US?

Rasseru

DELETEless than a minute ago
Yeah, I know.. re: cost. its a lovely tea though. it was from Yunnan. that was a week or two back though, not sure if they are in the US or not. Defo get a sample and try it, I think its great, sometimes it has attained that perfect moment status. such a nice huigan & soft feel

Sqt

Thanks, I’ll shoot them a message now :)

I heard a few mixed reviews on this tea. I’ve heard people saying it’s 100% damn good, and others sayin nah. I’m sorry to say it, but I am leaning towards the latter. The leaves are long darkened tendrils with a strong aroma of buckwheat honey and apricot. I brought out my shibo and warmed it up, and then I placed some leaves inside. The aroma moves about and expands into some fig newton with an undertone of sour kale. I washed the leaf once and prepared for brewing. Now the taste is what drove me away. Quick anecdote, a loooooooong time ago I acquired some “rare” tea from a foreign friend of mine. They instructed me how to brew said “mysterious tea”, and that after I brew it I can sun dry the leaves and resteep this “mystical” tea. Me, giving benefit of the doubt, believed my foreign friend and did just that, I brewed the tea, drank, and then put the leaves outside to dry, so I can steep again. I feel you can see where I am going with this if you know tea. The “rare” tea was bad, and the sundried version was not good as well. The taste was foul, sour, and badly fermented. Now, back to the review, this tea’s background notes taste just like that sundried pre-steeped leaf. The forefront is heavy honey tones, but the base and undertones are sour and cloudy. I’m not sure what it was, but when you taste what I’ve tasted you don’t forget a tone. Maybe it was a bad sample, maybe someone gave me their steeped leaves, maybe it was poor storage, I don’t know….

Flavors: Honey, Sour

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 9 g 4 OZ / 130 ML
nishnek

I got an odd sour cloudy taste off of the Slumbering Dragon as well, actually, which is another tea most people seem to absolutely love, so I wonder if it’s one of those things that only certain people with the gene for it can taste or something like cilantro? :/

Crimson Lotus Tea

I’m sorry about your experience. If you’re willing to give it another go I’ll send you a sample for free. Just let me know.

Tastes like sheng! Vegetal, grassy, astringent, a bit bitter.

I swear, I only have one more sheng left.

mrmopar

How did you brew this one? I have some I haven’t tried yet.

Hoálatha

7g/100ml 195F for 5 seconds ore less. But I’m not much of an expert…

mrmopar

Some of these can be finicky. Your parameters are close to what mine would be. You may try dropping the temp a bit more as that may reduce the bitter and let other notes come through.

I say this after multiple sessions and a decent amount of thought: This tea deserves the 100/100 that others have given it.

Large leaf. Easy to brew. Forgiving. Savory. Medium viscosity. Great resteep ability. Beautiful before and after the session. Aroma of sweet Jingmai.

All around, this is something that is easy to enjoy for anyone.
Brought this to a new pu’erh drinkers house and it was fantastic, even better than when I drank it alone.

Excellent!!!

This is such a clean sheng, especially given it’s age. This is a great way to try an aged tea, especially for newer puer drinkers. It had a sweet honey body with light hay undertones. I like this tea because it doesn’t have too much energy and it was easy to relax by. However, this tea is temperature sensitive and can easily taste sour if it’s brewed too hot. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy this tea :)

Flavors: Hay, Honey, Sweet

6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Backlog 12 August 2016
Another tea gifted/swapped with CWarren. Thank you for this!

I shared this tea with a friend, so my notes are subtle, but there are a few details on the leaf color and flavor profile. I had tasted a lot of fig, Asian pear, stone fruits, and earthy minerals. After a while, there were notes of honey and dry grass/leaves. I noted, “This reminds me of an autumn walk in the (maple tree surrounded) woods.” The liquid of the tea became “the color of honey” and flavor reminded me of an “autumn morning walk, with the leaves crunching beneath your feet; the smell of dew covered dry leaves arising to your nostrils.”

I apparently began composing a story after this last note, titled “Autumn Morning.” So having a tea which inspired me to write again is worthy of making a note on here.

Anyway, my friend and I had sincerely enjoyed this tea together. We had many similar notes of the depth, flavor, aromas, and thoughts about Autumn while sharing this brew. It is a worthy treat to have for the Autumn-loving-individual, and it’ll make your mind wander to those lovely morning walks, while listening to the leaves crunch beneath your feet.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Dry Grass, Fig, Honey, Mineral, Pear, Stonefruits

MrQuackers

When I first began drinkin green tea, I looked for teas that connected me with nature around me. Perhaps a Bai Mu Dan connected me to the grass or hay smells outside. So I find it very understandable that a tea would make you feel like a walk in the leafy woods.

Freshly cut grass is one of my favourite smells. Wet green tea leaves or matcha will sometimes be like that.

Hope Crimson Lotus continues to deliver more teas like this one. Total blind buy without sampling, but based on other Jingmai teas I’ve had from Crimson Lotus I couldn’t pass up an 8-year old Jingmai maocha. It was totally worth the gamble. And it paid off! Wow! High quality material, clean, no off flavors, really good sheng.

This is an interesting tea. At first I wasn’t sure what to make of it, but don’t think I used enough tea initially so I held back those tasting notes, and used a lot more tea in later sessions.

It brews a really nice amber color, on the lighter side of amber, but what I expect from a 2008ish sheng. Signature Jingmai honeysuckle and honeydew, less-so than some other younger Jingmai shengs, and an underlying creaminess that brings it all together.

It still leans to the bitter side but quickly turns into sweetness, and a gentle astringency that causes my mouth to water…if a tea can be juicy then this one is juicy. Nice mouth buzz from first 4-5 steepings that fades away after that. Very long lasting pleasant aftertaste, one that you don’t want to eat anything because it may ruin your palate and the flavors you’re enjoying. This speaks to the concentration of polyphenols and minerals in these leaves. High quality stuff! I absolutely love these aspects of shengs, and what I look most for in mid-age shengs.

Large thick and intact leaves, beautiful to look at.

Very slight huigan, no camphor, qi is relaxing and gentle. Not getting any caffeine kicks or jitters, and around steeping 10 I started getting a bit tea-buzzed and had to eat something.

After about 12 steepings it started getting straight bitter, which means I probably need to be fine-tune my steepings later in each session, or pay attention more. In my own defense, this tea had me buzzed :) Some longevity! Its outlasted me every single time with 12+ steepings consistently.

The strength and qualities of this tea give me a really good sense that it has lots of potential for long-term aging, and that its not even close to hitting its peak. But after 8 years, it also has me wondering if there is a bit of younger material blended in? How can this tea reach this level of bitterness after 8 years as maocha?

High quality material, glad it was left to age in Jingmai for 8 years. I’m really looking forward to growing with this tea, and only wish I had more!!

Flavors: Apricot, Astringent, Bamboo, Bitter, Chestnut, Creamy, Honey, Honeydew, Honeysuckle, Sugarcane, Tannic

Crimson Lotus offered the opportunity to purchase this aged Jingmai maocha in a custom made Jianshui tea jar and I could not resist. This is a very nice tea! The leaves are whole, long and beautiful to look at. The tea liquor is a deep gold color which when exposed to the air begins to shift toward a copper color. The aroma is full of a thick sweetness and this same sweetness is found in the first sips. Active mouthfeel which continues into the throat where the sweetness lingers. I also found a decidedly citric component in the tea which led me to think of it as having an appealing sweet charm while a tiny bit tart at the same time. Overall the tea has a solid, potent character and is indeed a treat. This is one to be enjoyed now and in the near future.

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 75 ML
tperez

Those were so tempting! I wanted a jar of each

CWarren Your tasting note made me even more excited that I ordered one.
CWarren

@tperez I felt the same way about all those awesome jars of tea; one of each would be incredible!

ashmanra

I love your teaware!

DigniTea

@ashmanra Thank you. Interesting teaware makes the whole tea experience better!

DigniTea

@tperez and @CWarren this is IMHO a tea worth owning.

andresito

glad I bought one, can’t wait to try it!

mrmopar

I hope they make it available as I think it is currently out.

CWarren

@mrmopar it was a limited release unfortunately but I’d be happy to send a sample your way when I get mine in.

mrmopar

@CWarren and I will send you something as well. A swap is in the future ;)

The ever kind and benevolent Glen sent me a sample of this with my Kunlu order to haunt my dreams!

It’s amazing. I raved to a tea friend about it after the first steep… then the second…

“omg… you NEED the 2008 jingmai. Am just super hyper and happy I can taste things again. And I brewed up the sample Glen sent with jar… and holy shit
its aged and floral and fruity and minty
and yes… its all fig and honey in a snow storm”

In later steeps I notice the apricot and some kind of stone fruit element more. It kind of reminds me of an oolong in some ways how it brews up, but still has the feel of sheng.

And then I went on chat and pretty much tried to convince everyone I knew to buy up what is on stock so I won’t be tempted to ask what a dragon’s egg tong looks like… I mean they are still in Yunnan… so the danger is real!

I followed up by telling another person on IG " omg yes. I think the biggest shocker though is the 2008 jingmai sample! It is just blowing me away with fig honey and apricot goodness. While still having some of the more abrasive qualities I love in sheng! Like the super cooling aftertaste. If this is how maocha ages… I need to get a hold of more of it o.o only ever had aged cakes before this."

At which point I think Glen saw how much I was raving about this and made a review thread for it.

This shit is good… don’t buy it before I get paid! I mean buy it all up! I’m so confused right now. But this tea is really really good. Like maybe rivaling my love for slumbering dragon good… it doesn’t have the stamina of dragon… but damn those first handful of steeps are magic.

Edit: Note to self, brew strong. When I did this tea again in a bigger vessel, I wasn’t able to cram in quite as much tea per ml… and it wasn’t the omg punch I absolutely loved the first time. It’s great strong… but… you just have to remember to handle it like a dancong rather than a normal sheng.

Flavors: Fig, Honey, Mint, Stonefruits

hahahaha awesome :)

boychik

What are you doing to me may i ask???

Phi

@boychik trying to make it disappear before I buy all of it of course! Isn’t that what this forum is for :P

curlygc

I hope they sell the tea loose without the jar. I will definitely buy some (and I am glad the jars sold out and I was able to not give in to the temptation to buy one!)