Maté Cacao Amande

Yerba maté Tea
Cocoa Beans, Flavors, Green Yerba Mate
Almond, Chocolate, Vegetal, Earth, Herbaceous, Roasted, Sweet, Cocoa, Grass, Nutty, Smooth
Bulk, Loose Leaf
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.
Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 3 g 10 oz / 295 ml

• “Mini Note backlog: Liked this one, it tasted almost exactly like DT’s Jumpy Monkey tea that was a family favorite for years. This one tasted more natural though and I would imagine the flavor...” Read full tasting note
  • “Dammann Frères Advent Day 4 (4-February 2021) Well, it’s been a rough start to the workday, which means this poor tea got pushed to the wayside and nearly forgot about. An absolute shame, because...” Read full tasting note
  • “Dammann Freres Advent Calendar Day 4 I liked this one! That was my first time trying mate and it was a fun discovery. Loved the almondy cocoa and sort of liked the vegetal part. I couldn’t quite...” Read full tasting note
  • “Dammann Frères Advent Calendar – Day 4 (from November backlog) I was quite surprised at the steeping parameters for this one, as I would normally treat green maté much more gently. But I followed...” Read full tasting note

From Dammann Freres

The grassy flavor and characteristic vigorous nature of green mate is combined with rich notes of almond and cocoa to offer an infusion that is round and rich with a lasting, sweet final note.

Dominant note : Gourmet notes
Type(s) of tea : Mate
Main flavor : Cacao
Complementary flavor(s) : Almond, Chocolates

About Dammann Freres View company

Mini Note backlog:
Liked this one, it tasted almost exactly like DT’s Jumpy Monkey tea that was a family favorite for years. This one tasted more natural though and I would imagine the flavor consistency between cups would be much better. The DT blend had more ingredients including white chocolate which made Jumpy Monkey slightly oily at times on the surface. I definitely wouldn’t mind picking up some of this when I eventually order from DF. Thanks Derk! These DF teas are indulgent.

Dammann Frères Advent Day 4 (4-February 2021)

Well, it’s been a rough start to the workday, which means this poor tea got pushed to the wayside and nearly forgot about. An absolute shame, because it’s delicious.

I really enjoyed the dry scent, like a sweet almond cookie, which translated to the steeped scent as well. The chocolate flavour is the same as Mon Petit Chocolat, which I’ve been kicking myself about not re-ordering with my order in December.

The chocolate flavour is more prominent and the almond highlights, but the combination of the two is just wonderful. I find myself wishing for more chocolate almond teas now. If this is part of DF’s regular collection, I wouldn’t hesitate to order this. :)

Lexa loved it too!

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 3 g 14 OZ / 414 ML
Cameron B.

I was so underwhelmed by this one, but it’s on my list to order anyway because others loved it so much!

Courtney

Perfect opportunity to split a parcel into 2x 50g!

Cameron B.

I see what you did there! XD

derk

Ah, now I’m thinking about this one. So good.

Courtney

It really is derk :)

Dammann Freres Advent Calendar Day 4 I liked this one! That was my first time trying mate and it was a fun discovery. Loved the almondy cocoa and sort of liked the vegetal part. I couldn’t quite decide how I felt about it to be honest. I’m assuming it was the mate and it worked with the cocoa. But it was definitely present and surprised me at every sip. I definitely enjoyed my cup and would love to try it again but because I love chocolate teas, so I suspect it might not be the one I run to. But on its own, if I don’t compare it to other chocolate options, it was very good.

Flavors: Almond, Chocolate, Vegetal

Dammann Frères Advent Calendar – Day 4 (from November backlog)

I was quite surprised at the steeping parameters for this one, as I would normally treat green maté much more gently. But I followed them anyway, as I’m trying to do with more teas lately. This sachet was in a gorgeous metallic lime green wrapper that made me smile. Dry scent was mostly maté herbaceousness with a bit of sweetness. The water turned a bright green as soon as it hit the tea.

Unfortunately, I’m finding this very underwhelming. I feel like the high temperature did have a negative effect on the maté, as it has a sharper edge than I would expect. I don’t really get much, if any, cocoa or almond here though. There is a little bit of sweetness, and perhaps a light roastiness that could be cacao shell.

Meh! A disappointing tea given how good the concept sounded.

Flavors: Earth, Herbaceous, Roasted, Sweet

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML
derk

Oh my, this was just lovely for me. It makes me a little sad to hear you didn’t enjoy it :(

Cameron B.

I know! Hopefully I get a chance to try it again sometime.

Cameron B.

I’m removing the rating for now as I don’t trust it, ha ha.

Advent 4.

Imagine, if you can, a cocoa mix… Blue Diamond cocoa dusted almonds, warm cocoa butter, Cocoa Pebbles cereal… not sweet, not at all bitter but fragrant, soothing and mild. And mix it with equally mild grassy yerba maté. These flavors were meant to be together, people. Such smooth harmony.

Unforgettable! Bumping from 84 to 90.

Flavors: Almond, Cocoa, Grass, Nutty, Smooth

Cameron B.

Clearly I did something wrong with this one because I found it so underwhelming. I’ll have to remember to try it again sometime!

derk

I’m not a hot maté fan but I found this so smooth with boiling water. I’m surprised it was sharp for you. Do you use tap water?

Cameron B.

No, I use filtered water. It’s been a month since I had it so I’m not sure I remember specifics other than what I wrote. XD

tea-sipper

derk, how long did you steep this for?

derk

Whatever the packet said, both steeps boiling, 4 and 5 or 6 minutes. I use tap water for brewing tea (bring out the pitchforks).

tea-sipper

So you and Cameron both brewed this for about 5 minutes so it couldn’t have been because you did a short steep, which I suspected. Maybe this just tastes better with tap water! ha

Martin Bednář

derk and me are using tap water, and you others are filtering or what?!

tea-sipper

The sink I use has a filter that I use for drinking water/tea water since otherwise I feel I’m drinking pure chlorine. I sent a water test through the mail and they were surprised at the chlorine levels.

Cameron B.

My fridge has an auto-refilling removable pitcher with filtered water, so I use that to fill my kettle. :)