Sheng Pu'erh

Edit tea info Last updated by CrowKettle
195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 15 sec 68 oz / 2023 ml

From DAVIDsTEA

It’s alive!

This dark, mysterious tea is totally unlike anything else in our collection. Also called Green Pu’erh, Sheng Pu’erh is a « living » tea – it continues to mature and improve like an excellent wine. Taste a cup of this young tea today and it will be rich and earthy, with sweet, vegetal mushroom notes. Try it again in a year or two and it will be sweeter and mellower, with a delicious hint of honey. We recommend buying enough to drink this year, then storing some away for a serious treat a few years down the road. If you can wait that long…

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Definitely getting honey and caramel notes with this one today, over a light grassy note.

This was one of the oodles of samples OMGsrsly gave me (thank you!)

I was really curious about this one! I don’t know what I was expecting, but this is a SUPER friendly sheng, which makes sense when you think about who was carrying it. The leaves smell kind of peachy-fruity when wet and the first few steeps are honey sweet with no bitterness and a hint of grassiness.

Unfortunately, if unsurprisingly, this tea has virtually no endurance. I didn’t bother with a rinse (1st steep was just 15s right off the bat) and I still only got about 4 steeps out of it, and the 4th was pretty ehhh.

Still I’m happy to have tried it, and tbh I think this was a good pick on davidstea’s part as an approachable intro sheng. It’s so mild that I wouldn’t be surprised if you could get away with steeping this western style. I gave a bit to my mom and she said it was, “Not bad,” which is high praise from someone who won’t touch most of my other stuff haha.

I like deep floral leafy teas, I swear. I’ve loved it with green teas and oolongs but when I came to Sheng Pu’erh, the first time I tried it, it was just ew. I couldn’t pick up on any notes besides bitterness and extreme earthy tastes. I did 3 steepings getting just a weaker version than the one before. It’s sitting in a baggy in my cupboard now, and I’m awaiting when it’ll be “aged” enough to be drinkable.

Flavors: Bitter

This was the first sheng I’ve ever brewed western, or the first pu-erh for that matter. I can tell that there is a reason why I don’t brew this western. The taste of this was very subtle. It carried a slightly sweet astringent flavor. The aroma was a strong sheng scent with wet wood undertone. I could taste a fresh pine flavor. This didn’t really do “it” for me. I appreciate being able to experience it, but I don’t think I’ll ever drink this again. This was a very generic sheng, and it carried no distinguishing flavors or depth. The fact that the name is very general should have been my first sign of its basic taste profile.

Flavors: Astringent, Wet Wood

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

Slight sweetness and creaminess. This one definitely benefited from a longer infusion time at a higher temperature

Ehhhh. I got a half oz of this last time I was at Davids. It sounded good on their website and I figured why not? Lol. I don’t have any exprience with puerh tea ough, so I really wasn’t sure what to expect aside from what I’ve read.
It said to use 1 1/2 tsp, but the leaves were so fluffy I had to estimate. Since I was making 12 oz, I used about 2 heaping tsp (as best as I could figure), steeped at 185* for 3 min.
I have to say that while the dry leaves didn’t really have much of a scent, the brew smells like the water in my aquarium. Fishy. Ugh! Makes me want to pour the whole mug out but since it’s brewed, I might as well try it.
Taste wise I only get a bit of ‘fishy’ taste but that might be from smelling it as I drink, and it’s kinda grassy tasting. Maybe seaweed? I think someone else had mentioned seaweed, so I guess it makes sense. I still find it unpleasant though.
Maybe puerh just isn’t for me. Or I just haven’t found the right version. Who knows.
The package does say that in a year or so this tea will get better, but I’m not sure I want to even give that a shot. Not to mention I’m not sure if this should be stored sealed up like other teas or open like I know puerh is supposed to be stored.
Likely this’ll go into the swap bin, or possibly into the Traveling Tea box I’m considering throwing together.

If you’re going to venture in too puerh, I’d suggest mandala for a start, or a swap to get yourself a few samples rather than wasting money on large amounts you might not like

Summary:

Leaves:

Body:

Aroma:

Flavour & Sensation:

DAVID’sTEA link: