Gingerbread Cookie

Honeybush Rooibos Yerba maté Blend
Cinnamon Bark, Currants, Ginger, Ginger Root, Green Rooibos, Honeybush, Maple Crystals, Natural And Artificial Flavouring, Pineapple, Roasted Yerba Mate, Rooibos, Safflowers, White Chocolate
Bark, Ginger, Honey, Chocolate, Cinnamon, Cookie, Maple, Molasses, Sugar, Sweet, Earth, Spices, Butter, Caramel, Dirt, Vanilla, Rooibos, Wood, Artificial, Pineapple
High
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

From DAVIDsTEA

Cookie of the year

Happiness is…the smell of gingerbread cookies baking in the oven. Warming up with a perfect cup of tea. And sharing something sweet with your family and friends. And with this sweet and toasty tea, you can have all three at once. We started with a smooth base of rooibos, then added a sweet hint of maple and molasses. Then we warmed it up with spicy cinnamon and crystallized ginger. Finally, we added a dash of yerba maté for an energizing kick. With this in your tea cupboard, happiness is just a steep away…

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Quite good (hot)

180 °F / 82 °C 8 min or more

This is the tea of all teas for me. With the genuine gingerbread cookie smell and the smoothness of the flavour its delicious. It’s not overwhelmingly strong but I feel like its a tea my tastebuds can really pick up without it having to be some crazy intense fruity sensation as many “flavourful” teas are. Having one of my few remaining mugs of it now and I’m terribly upset David’s has not brought this one back!

Flavors: Bark, Ginger, Honey

This tea has a lovely festive aroma in the tin! Definitely smells like a gingerbread cookie with the cinnamon, ginger, currants, maple and chocolate accents. The flavour of the tea surprisingly wasn’t too sweet even with the mate, sugar and white chocolate ingredients. It’s a bit of an underwhelming flavour actually. I’ve been in no hurry to finish it since buying it in the boxing day sale last year. It’s a decent tea, but nothing too special.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cinnamon, Cookie, Ginger, Maple, Molasses, Sugar, Sweet

185 °F / 85 °C 5 min, 30 sec 5 g 12 OZ / 355 ML

Day 23 of the 2015 Advent Calendar. I love the idea of this tea personally, but then again I love gingerbread in general so I suppose that’s to be expected. In terms of smell, I don’t know how to describe it other than well… Gingerbread Cookie ahaha. Although I do smell the mate base I think.

The tea itself brews into a really pretty amber colour, but I might attribute that to the rooibos that I believe is in the tea. Taste wise I wouldn’t really consider this ‘gingerbread’. For some reason its fruity and almost molassesy. I can definitely also taste the rooibos in this as well. Not getting the mate really, but I’m not a fan of the taste so I can’t say I mind.

Overall I feel like this tea was a bit of a letdown. The flavor itself isn’t… bad but I kind of expected a lot more from it. The aftertaste isn’t particularly nice either. I can see why David’s did not bring this one back. I’ll be sticking to Teavana’s take on Gingerbread, personally.

In my new tea panic, and my resolution to drink more evening teas, I grabbed this out of the sample bowl.
And, obviously this has been in the sample bowl since last Christmas time, which is highly embarrassing. What took me so long? Especially since I love gingerbread, and just plain ol ginger.
But it turns out my trepidation was correct, because if someone had given this to me blind, and told me to list the ingredients, I would have said Rooibos, and maybe a touch of spice.
And that’s it. No gingerbread flavor to be found. None. I drank it without paying any attention to it, which I’m sure was not its intention, but here we are.
Ah well. Another one out of the sample bowl, and out of my cupboard.

This one was meh.

I had high hopes for a good gingerbread cookie tea but was disappointed.

First, I’m not a huge fan of mate. Maybe if this tea had a different base it would have tasted better. The rooibos part was fine and didn’t bother me, and I figured there would be some rooibos in a gingerbread tea anyways.

Dry, it did smell pretty good. It reminded me of maple and light cinnamon.

However once brewed it felt like it had no flavor. I couldn’t taste the ‘gingerbread’ or ‘cookie’ part of it at all, which is what it needed to bring this tea to life.

I was pretty stoked originally to try this tea – the promise of gingerbread cookies in my cup was just too alluring not to get excited! Finally got around to brewing up a cup today, and looked on Steepster quickly beforehand to see what I might expect. One thing I wasn’t expecting was to see the tasting note “dirt,” which I thought was a bit harsh! But once I started steeping, I could smell what I’m guessing that tasting note may have been based off of. Not sure if it’s the Yerba Mate flavour coming through, as it’s not a type of tea I regularly consume. It has an undertone of, well, if you’ve ever had one of those capsule pills of echinacea or valeriun powder burst…? It tastes a bit like that. If I perhaps had avoided smelling it when it was so strong (the flavour of it is less powerful but still present) maybe I wouldn’t notice it whilst drinking.

It’s quite possible I oversteeped this, but based on others’ tasting notes saying the gingerbread doesn’t come through strongly, I thought perhaps I would give it a good, long time to steep. Perhaps next time I’ll time it more precisely and see – but I can say that even with a suspected oversteeping, while the gingerbread notes are lovely, they are, indeed, lighter than expected. As far as holiday blends are concerned, I can think of several that I am far more likely to turn to than Gingerbread Cookie, despite the concept appealing to me and being a loyal DAVIDsTEA fan. (For myself personally, the Adagio Tea blend by Cara McGee called Mycroft actually achieved what I was hoping for from Gingerbread Cookie a fair bit better.) Overall, the flavours of this tea, whilst at least 50% pleasant, are too soft for me to give a higher recommendation. If you’d like something quite light, however, this may be your tea.

Flavors: Earth, Ginger, Molasses, Sweet

8 min or more 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Even with 2 tsps the gingerbread flavor is barely noticeable, just tastes like rooibos. These holiday teas have been a big disappointment.

185 °F / 85 °C 7 min, 0 sec 0 OZ / 0 ML

One of my all time favourites!!!!!