Strawberry Matcha

Edit tea info Last updated by Kittenna
180 °F / 82 °C 8 oz / 236 ml

From DAVIDsTEA

Game, set, matcha.

An all-natural blend of stone-ground matcha, pure cane sugar and a fruity hint of strawberries. Try it in your next smoothie, shake or latte!

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Sipdown! 83/365

Today I learned that you’re supposed to use 5-7 matcha spoonfuls of DT’s flavoured matchas for 16oz water. A matcha spoonful is 1/2 tsp, so that’s 2.5-3.5 teaspoons. That’s a lot! Especially as it is heavy/dense. Anyhow, I think I purchased maaaaaybe 2 teaspoons of each matcha, so I just used this one up entirely today (I’m only making 8oz, possibly less). Today has clearly been a long day, because I drank it this morning and am struggling to recall it. I do know that blueberry was better, but I could taste light strawberry. I think I wished it was stronger and more candy-like. Not bad, though.

Roswell Strange

Personally I NEVER use more than 4 perfect matcha spoons max when making matcha for myself. Usually less than that. So don’t worry about not using the “right”/recommended amount if you’re enjoying the taste at a lower gram amount.

VariaTEA

I use 1/2 tsp/8 oz when making matcha. I don’t think I ever strayed from that so 2.5-3.5 tsps seems a bit nuts

Kittenna

I honestly didn’t measure anything, I just dumped things in my cup :D I’m drinking everything with milk, so it’s pretty hard to get it too strong, but I’m still really surprised at that recommendation for a non-latte. Good to know that I’m not crazy in thinking so (I can’t imagine that the added sweetener adds that much volume…)

This is pretty good whisked with milk for a sort of over latte effect. Whisked in hot water, it’s unpleasantly grassy. Not too sad to be finished with this one.

I bought this one during the summer while I was pregnant. Because of the caffeine and not wanting to overdo it, I didn’t try this one and bought 100g blind, hoping I would love it. Thankfully I was right! This tea is so delicious. I made it up with some milk because I haven’t been able to master drinking matcha straight up yet. I’m hoping I will be able to someday, but as of right now, it’s not happening.
Anyways, so I probably made this a bit stronger than needed. I grabbed the wrong spoon. I used my Teaopia teaspoon instead of my matcha spoon… so probably an extra half a scoop than needed, but oh well. This would make a great latte. I would probably love that. And I’d probably even enjoy this one as either an iced latte or iced tea with a splash of milk. Either way.
So I should actually mention something about the flavour of this one. haha It’s got a really nice strawberry flavour. It’s really spot-on, which makes me very happy. It doesn’t taste like artificial strawberries. I don’t get a lot of the green tea flavour, but that’s okay. It’s there, but not very strong. My only “complaint” about this one is that it is VERY sweet. Like, very sweet. I would have preferred if they had cut back on the cane sugar a bit.

But even still, I will enjoy this one quite a bit. I’m glad I got 100g and I will probably get more if it comes back.

Thick, creamy latte enjoyed last night!

I have maraschino cherries in my fridge right now because I’ve been craving them all week and I decided to try to float a cup on the thick foam on top of the latte but evidently they’re just so damn heavy and they sunk to the bottom. Still gave me a delicious treat at the end of the mug though, so I’m not mad about it. I’ve always found this matcha tasted like a strawberry milkshake to me, and this is reminding me of this small restaurant we used to sometimes go to with my grandparents when I was REALLY young (like, maybe five/six) where we’d order strawberry or chocolate milk and the waitress would often add extra maraschino cherries to the bottom of the cup for us – it was a sweet gesture, and it made my brother and I SO happy. So, this cup has actually wound up being very nostalgic for me…

I wanted to work on tasting notes last night but was struggling to find some motivation. So, I ended up putting it off and now I’m working through my list this morning/afternoon. Making pretty good progress – but it’s still a lot to get through. Sometimes people ask me why I write so many when I sometimes find it a little gruelling to work through so many of them a week – and my answer is that I find it somewhat gruelling during the process, but then feel an incredible sense of accomplishment when I’ve finished it! I also like having records of what I drink – and have had a lot of incredible learning takeaways from being able to reference old tasting notes and see how my palate and general education level have changed.

Additionally, though, the structure and routine of it has been really great for my mental health. I’ve spoken about this before in the past – but when I first starting writing on Steepster around six or seven years ago I was highly depressed, and I’ve gone through swings of depression over those six years – but in general I think having something to write/log every week has been very stabilizing for me. I am definitely a person of routine, and find a lot of comfort in it. The community here has helped immensely too – but in general the entire ritual of drinking tea/incorporating it into my life and then writing about it has just pulled me from a dark place more times than I can count.

I bring it up because I think I’m kind of hitting one of those rough patches right now – I’ve been in Montreal for almost a year now and I’m realizing that I haven’t made as many connections/friendships within the city as I would have liked to at this point and I’m feeling a little isolated within the city right now. I don’t really know anyone outside of work, and a bunch of the people I’ve become closest to at the office have now moved on to other jobs more related to the fields they studied (happy for them, of course!) which has become even more isolating…

I’d just like to make some deeper friendships outside of work, you know? I’ve always struggled a lot with that though.

I’m gonna get through this though! It’s weird, to hit a rough patch but to also be constantly surrounded by one of the things that makes me happiest – tea! I’m doing better than I have in the past though, and I’m thankful for that!

derk

I appreciate your thoughts , Roswell. I recall you started to enjoy swimming this year. Dive in and keep your eyes open, as you are.

I’m back in swap mode. Fancy one?

Taylor

I don’t write tasting notes on steepster anymore (although I keep wanting to start again) but I visit the site regularly just to read yours! Thanks for being around and being so generous with your time on this site. We love and appreciate you!

Roswell Strange

Thank you both for the kind words! Unfortunately swimming will have to wait a while; the free public pool is closed now for the summer – and I’ll look for an indoor pool for the winter, but definitely a huge part of why I love swimming is being outdoors while doing it so it wont be exactly the same.

Also, Derk, I would love to do a swap! Feels like a long time coming ;)

Made this today as a matcha latte with almond milk and sugar. It is quite tasty. Strong strawberry flavor but not too much matcha flavor. Overall while this is probably not considered a ceremonial grade matcha it is pretty tasty.

Making of this was simple. I have limited access to my tea ware now. So I put three matcha scoops of matcha in a cup, added about 10oz 175 degree water and then uses an Ikea frother to mix the matcha. I then added the sugar and almond milk and used the frother again. Came out quite tasty.

175 °F / 79 °C

Yum! This is a very good matcha to mix with milk. Tastes just like a strawberry milkshake with the matcha kick to it.

Do you know strawberry milk? The super sweet stuff you buy in bottles (usually when you’re a kid)? Well, that’s what this tastes like. Strawberry milk but for adults because of caffeine.

It would be interesting to try some other flavors of matcha that DAVIDs has to offer since it’s certainly easier than Red Leaf Tea to get ahold of. Maybe I will hit up a store while I still have my 20% off discount (or is it 30% now?).

Dry leaf: Vegetal matcha with strong strawberry notes.

Liqueur: Opaque green. Vegetal matcha with strawberry accents.

Flavour: Sweet jam-like strawberry flavours coat the palate. The vegetal matcha provides a brightness and compliments the strawberry very well.

Flavors: Grass, Strawberry, Sweet

185 °F / 85 °C 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Skysamurai

Have you tried Lupicia’s strawberry match? And if so how do they compare

MrQuackers

I actually have tried strawberries blended with a good amount of matcha making a hot 500 mL drink. With sugar, the taste was more like hot apple cider with the strawberries acidity. These were super fresh summer berries. Didn’t taste like strawberry jam to me. Lol