Food Green Blend
Green Tea, Popped Rice
Loose Leaf, Sachet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

2 Images

• “First, Thank you Obubu Teas for sending me a sample of this tea. I can use a bunch of fancy words to describe this tea and I will for those who prefer it but really none of that is necessary. ...” Read full tasting note
  • “I love Genmaicha so when I received this sample I was very happy to try it. This is a slightly different tasting Genmaicha than some others that I’ve tried. The tea tastes different – but not in a...” Read full tasting note
  • “Backlogging my genmaicha experience. Obubu’s Genmaicha is a flavorful, well-balanced combination of Japanese sencha and roasted sweet mochi rice. The tea it produces is flavorful and light, with a...” Read full tasting note
  • “I only had one sample of this, so it’s hard to form a strong feeling after just three cups (re-infused twice). However, the genmai is sweeter than other versions I’ve had. The green tea base seemed...” Read full tasting note

From Kyoto Obubu Tea Farms

Genmaicha is one of Japan’s most popular teas made by mixing Yanagi Bancha leaves with roasted rice. This Genmaicha is brass yellow in color, with a light astringency and a rounded finish. Its nutty pecan-like aroma and buttery sweet taste make it a very soothing and satisfying tea.

Taste: Sweet
Body: Medium
Origin: Wazuka
Cultivation: Unshaded
Processing: Steamed, Rolled, Dried

About Kyoto Obubu Tea Farms View company

It started with a single cup of tea. As the legend goes, our president Akihiro Kita, or Akky-san, visited Wazuka, Kyoto one fateful day. At the time, Akky-san was still a college student in search for life's calling. After trying the region's famous Ujicha (literally meaning tea from the Uji district), he immediately fell in love and his passion for green tea was born. He had finally found what he was looking for in that one simple cup of tea. After fifteen years of learning to master the art of growing tea from tea farmers in Wazuka, Kyoto Obubu Tea Farms was born and as they say, the rest is history. So what's an Obubu? Obubu is the Kyoto slang for tea. Here in the international department we call ourselves Obubu Tea. That's "Tea Tea" for the bilinguals. We love tea so much, we just had to have it twice in our name. Now Obubu means more than just tea to us. It means, family, friends, passion and the place we call home. More than just tea. Though the roots of Obubu stem from tea, it has become more than that over the years. Obubu is an agricultural social venture, operating with three (1) bring quality Japanese tea to the world (2) contribute to the local and global community through tea (3) revitalize interest in tea and agriculture through education.

First, Thank you Obubu Teas for sending me a sample of this tea. I can use a bunch of fancy words to describe this tea and I will for those who prefer it but really none of that is necessary. This tea is GOOD, amazing even. I loved it and what’s more my dear husband did to. He has never liked a green tea and he not only liked it but told me he would drink it. I was shocked. If you knew him you would be too.

Fancy Words: Deep full cup. Fresh with a slighly roasted finish. Even had a bit a sweetness. Sophisticated and kept me wanting more so I ordered a bag right away. Delicious!

I love Genmaicha so when I received this sample I was very happy to try it.

This is a slightly different tasting Genmaicha than some others that I’ve tried. The tea tastes different – but not in a bad way, in a very, very good way! I can definitely tell that I’m tasting a sencha rather than a bancha – I can taste the fresh, bittersweet flavor of the sencha. This tastes a little less “roasty-toasty” (bancha has a natural sort of toasted flavor to it, in my opinion) than a typical Genmaicha, and a little more … complex.

The delicate bitter notes add a unique interest to this tea – it isn’t a strong or distasteful bitterness. I would describe it more as a semi-sweet taste rather than a BITTER taste… if that makes sense.

I really like this Genmaicha… a LOT!

Backlogging my genmaicha experience.

Obubu’s Genmaicha is a flavorful, well-balanced combination of Japanese sencha and roasted sweet mochi rice. The tea it produces is flavorful and light, with a wonderfully aromatic smell of roasted rice without a trace of bitterness. There is a slightly sweet, peppery aftertaste that adds layers of depth and complexity to the tea. For my full review and pics: http://www.leafjoy.com/2011/01/review-genmaicha-obubu-tea/

However, the genmai is sweeter than other versions I’ve had. The green tea base seemed to be somewhat thin, as I couldn’t taste it very strongly, but what I could taste was good. I’ve had a genmaicha where there was far too much genmai for my liking and there might as well have been no tea leaves at all. This wasn’t like that, because even though it seemed thin, the popped rice was good quality and tasted a little sweet.

So far, the bar has been set by 1TTEN’s genmaicha, as that has the most delicious (bancha, I think) tea base that I’ve had. Nevertheless, this is a good one.

A very mild genmaicha. The rice flavoring is nice and lightly toasty. I prefer greener tasting, like Den’s Tea. I’ve been wanting to sample this, since the rice is different than other genmai based teas. Is this sticky rice?

This was a tasty little genmaicha. Satisfyingly roasty, but nice and sweet. It tasted lighter and brighter than others I’ve had.

Wow… this tea smells so nice! It’s a toasted, popcorn scent. The green tea is long and thicker than I’m used to. I had to taste the dry tea as I love to eat the American Tea Room’s genmaicha. It wasn’t as great for eating, unfortunately, and I’m not familiar enough with the different kinds of green tea to be able to point out the difference.

I don’t know the exact temp, boiling, then waited a few minutes for the water to cool down. I steeped it for a while as I wanted it strong. About five minutes. It’s excellent! It’s nutty, rich, not bitter (which I had worried about a bit, being a green.) The green tea is so nice. It’s strong, yet smooth and fresh. It’s a great combination of flavors that create a very different, very delicious type of genmaicha.

Very nice. I think this is only the 3rd genmaicha i’ve had, but this is easily the best. The toasted rice isn’t too overbearing, like has been the case in the previous genmaichas. Very drinkable.

Mmm. This sample is my after lunch tea (giant arugula salad).

I like genmaicha but I can’t say it’s one of those things I really adore. This blend could change my mind about that! It’s mixed with one of Obubu’s sweet, light senchas. The combination of that and the nutty, somewhat salty toasted brown rice is really delightful. It leaves a wonderful aftertaste in your mouth that seems to linger. This is one of the nicest genmais I’ve ever had… if I order more teas from Obubu someday I will definitely need to add this, or maybe I will need to become a customer of Yunomi.us ;)

Now it’s back to finishing off my paper before tomorrow’s class (fingers crossed!)

Stephanie

Mmmm arugula salad

TeaBrat

I love arugula and discovered it keeps for a long time in the fridge!

Nxtdoor

Pizza with arugula, leeks and cheese!