Green Tea
Green Tea
Autumn Leaf Pile, Char, Earth, Roasted, Roasted nuts, Smoke, Toast, Wood
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

2 Images

1 Tasting Note View all

• “Sort-of sipdown. This is the last of one 80g packet, but I still have some little sample packets of this from my subscription. I was happy when they started sending the subscription teas in...” Read full tasting note

From Kyoto Obubu Tea Farms

This Hojicha is quite unique. Made by roasting summer Sencha instead of the traditional Bancha leaves, Hojicha Amber reveals a much more intense firewood flavor, with a walnut aftertaste. Low in caffeine, it is a delicious nighttime tea.

Taste: Astringent
Body: Rich
Origin: Wazuka
Cultivation: Unshaded
Processing: Lightly Steamed, Rolled, Dried, Roasted

About Kyoto Obubu Tea Farms View company

It started with a single cup of tea. As the legend goes, our president Akihiro Kita, or Akky-san, visited Wazuka, Kyoto one fateful day. At the time, Akky-san was still a college student in search for life's calling. After trying the region's famous Ujicha (literally meaning tea from the Uji district), he immediately fell in love and his passion for green tea was born. He had finally found what he was looking for in that one simple cup of tea. After fifteen years of learning to master the art of growing tea from tea farmers in Wazuka, Kyoto Obubu Tea Farms was born and as they say, the rest is history. So what's an Obubu? Obubu is the Kyoto slang for tea. Here in the international department we call ourselves Obubu Tea. That's "Tea Tea" for the bilinguals. We love tea so much, we just had to have it twice in our name. Now Obubu means more than just tea to us. It means, family, friends, passion and the place we call home. More than just tea. Though the roots of Obubu stem from tea, it has become more than that over the years. Obubu is an agricultural social venture, operating with three (1) bring quality Japanese tea to the world (2) contribute to the local and global community through tea (3) revitalize interest in tea and agriculture through education.

1 Tasting Note

Sort-of sipdown. This is the last of one 80g packet, but I still have some little sample packets of this from my subscription. I was happy when they started sending the subscription teas in individually sealed 5g increments, it should really help keep them fresh while I dawdle around, drinking other things… :P

Anyway, this tea. To me, it seems like a somewhat dark roast, as it has a rather intense and rustic roasted flavor. It’s almost slightly smoky with a bit of char around the edges over a nice pile of crunchy autumn leaves. I find myself thinking of sitting around a bonfire, bundled up against the brisk autumn chill. Perhaps roasting nuts in the embers, as this has a light nuttiness to it as well.

It’s supremely comforting, and so perfect for the season, although the weather here has been too warm for my tastes lately. I couldn’t be bothered to get out a kyusu this time to steep this properly, but I’ll have to do so in the future.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Char, Earth, Roasted, Roasted nuts, Smoke, Toast, Wood