Joyeux Noël

Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Chestnut, Cookie, Nuts, Roasted Nuts, Sweet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

From Lupicia

A black tea made with an image of roasted chestnuts in the streets of Paris. Mild sweetness follows after the subtle bitterness.

About Lupicia View company

Yum! This tea tastes JUST like roasted chestnuts. There is a light bitter nuttiness that is followed by a rich, creamy sweetness…

This is so good! A great tea for those of us who aren’t very good at roasting our own chestnuts!

TeaEqualsBliss

ooooo…ahhhhhhh

Oho. Ohoho. OhohohoHO. YES.

As noted in my last tasting note about this tea, I’d decided i was going to try it with a little milk the next time I brewed myself a cup.

I didn’t end up using milk.

What I did use, instead, was a little cream. Normal heavy cream, nothing special…of which I had only a tiny amount left due to having mixed up a batch of cream scones for breakfast this morning.

Oho. OHOHOHOHO.

That little bit of cream + the 1/2 teaspoon of sugar + this tea steeped for 3 minutes? MAGIC. This has now shot to the top of my list of the most perfect winter drinks EVER. The chestnut flavour is now exceedingly smooth, warm, invigorating, and comforting. It’s like the softest baby alpaca scarf for your throat. You just want to keep petting it and petting it, and it’s so light and delicious and yet so warm and satisfying.

In conclusion, my hat’s truly off to whomever it was on Lupicia’s site who expounded upon the virtues of this particular tea when taken with milk. IMHO, it’s now indispensable…much like my preferred method with Earl Grey. Positively delightful, and if this is a harbinger of how 2010 is going to shake out, I am ALL FOR IT. Roll on 2010 and Joyeux Noël! I’m only sorry I don’t have a lot more of the latter!

takgoti

Should I ever find myself with the chance to try this, I will remember this log.

Janni

It is WONDERFUL. I’m having to pace myself, or else I’ll drink it all and be very sad. XD

Nope. Sorry. I tried, but this is just not for me. I will reserve rating it, as it is so intensly not my thing.
Oh well.

When i opened my tin and smelled this tea for the first time i didnt think it smelled very good at all. but oh my is it tasty. I only brewed mine for a very short amount of time because it went very dark surprisingly quickly. I even re-used the leaves, which i never usually do with black tea and it was still amazing.

I cant really explain the tastes of this tea. It really has an amazing aftertaste though.

next time i might brew it abit stronger and try it with a little milk…

It is an interesting tea because of the chestnut flavour. Too bitter on its own even if I brew for 2.5 mins. With some sugar, it is sweet and slightly bitter. Great aroma.

Interesting, so apparently I’ve never written a note for this tea! I’ll have to remember to steep it up plain next time and do that…

But tonight, I made it as a milk tea, and it is phenomenal! Such a rich and caramelized chestnut flavor! I did add some brown sugar syrup as a sweetener, so not sure how much that affected the caramel notes.

But wow, this is so so good! Tastes dead-on like a roasted chestnut with a drizzle of caramel. Nom.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Chestnut, Cookie, Nuts, Roasted Nuts, Sweet

Iced 3 min, 0 sec 4 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Wow, this is very bitter. I steeped it at 200 F, so there doesn’t seem to be astringency, but the bitterness – my word!

I don’t taste much else but a black base and bitter.

Nonetheless, grateful to have been able to try! Thanks Cameron!

Cameron B.

Uh oh ha ha!

Yesterday was kind of rough, I had a job interview that didn’t go so well and then I decided I need a new outfit for this holiday party I am going to tonight. Went to the mall and wasn’t inspired by anything aside from the Lupicia store. ;)

This is a Lupicia tea I’ve never had before. It’s a black tea blend that’s slightly nutty. I’m definitely getting the chestnut flavor from it, but it seems kind of bitter unfortunately. It was nice with a tiny bit of coconut sugar and soymilk. It’s not my favorite from Lupicia however… if they could find a way to remove the bitterness I’d like this much better. I might try steeping this at a slightly lower temp next time.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Cameron B.

Just wear a dress made of Lupicia tins! Voila! :P

Fjellrev

I’m sorry about the interview, but better luck with your next one. Oh yes, there shall be another.

I was just reading the description of this tea and Lupicia’s Chaud Les Marrons and they are the same. Is Lupicia renaming this for holiday sale?

This tastes very similar to their chocolate chestnut tea, but with a little less base. The first part of the sip is really light, then it starts tasting heavier. At the end is has a deep roasted flavor that joins the chestnut flavor that hangs out the entire sip. I added a little cream at the end and it really brought out a nutty flavor.

This tea is nice, but I really prefer their green based chestnut tea.

ohfancythat

What’s the green one called?

Dustin

It looks like it is just called Chestnut. http://www.lupiciausa.com/product_p/12408226.htm

From the reddit travelling tea box

This one looked promising – a black blend of ctc and leafy bits. Big cubes of something, marigold petals and lumps of golden rock sugar. Taste? Meh. I’ve had many great Lupicia teas, but out of all the Lupicia teas I’ve had, this one is on the bottom. It’s bitter, roasty, acidic with a little bit of sweetness. It does taste like roasted chestnuts, if I ate one whole with the peel on. I think it might work if one adds milk, or maybe coffee drinkers, but blaaah. Sorry Lupicia.