Breakfast Blend

Malt, Sweet, Maple Syrup, Sweet Potatoes, Bitter, Astringent, Oak wood, Wet Earth
Edit tea info Last updated by Christopher B.

• “This is currently on my list of easy out-the-door favorites; it’s strong with no bitterness, a little sweet, and a little malty. I tested it this morning for second-steep potential; it’s there, but...” Read full tasting note
  • “A good bagged tea strong enough to accompany a breakfast of homemade biscuits and gravy, eggs, avocado and spinach. Cuts through that heaviness while still shining in flavor. Mostly malty, a...” Read full tasting note
  • “If I have to drink a teabag black tea, this is a good one to have. I don’t think it deserves the low Steepster score! I did wait 17 minutes after boiling to steep it, so maybe that is the trick. ...” Read full tasting note
  • “NOTE: This review is on the LOOSE LEAF version of the tea. I enjoy Numi’s organic black teas, in bags or loose leaf, particularly their Chinese Breakfast selection. They also offer some of the...” Read full tasting note

From Numi Organic Tea

This complex blend of organic black teas – malty Assam, robust Ceylon, brisk Chinese Keemum and hints of floral Darjeeling – creates a hearty, balanced morning cup.

About Numi Organic Tea View company

2097 tasting notes

This is currently on my list of easy out-the-door favorites; it’s strong with no bitterness, a little sweet, and a little malty. I tested it this morning for second-steep potential; it’s there, but do so in a small cup and leave the bag in.

A good bagged tea strong enough to accompany a breakfast of homemade biscuits and gravy, eggs, avocado and spinach. Cuts through that heaviness while still shining in flavor. Mostly malty, a little woody, and a little sweet with a substantial citrus tinge.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML
gmathis

I had this mistakenly listed as English Breakfast. Discovered it recently and absolutely love it for your reasons listed above. Running out way too quickly.

derk

Yeah, this is probably the most appealing bagged plain black tea I’ve had. I don’t put milk or sugar in my teas and don’t enjoy heavy, malty and tannic bagged blacks for that reason. This one’s light enough to enjoy without adornments but still very functional as a breakfast tea.

lizwykys

I just really want your breakfast now. om nom.

derk

Hehe. I forgot to mention the biscuits were made from sourdough cultured with California air and the gravy was pork-free because my coworker is Muslim. But a good dash of Worcestershire sauce in the gravy and a hint of bacon in the perfectly ripe, creamy avocado made up for it. Some salty Irish cheddar went into the eggs. The spinach was served wilted with a pinch of salt. Hehehehe.

lizwykys cries *
derk

Oh no! I’m sorry! If you ever find yourself in California, we’ll cook a nice breakfast for you :)

lizwykys

Okay! :D I’ll bring teagifts!

If I have to drink a teabag black tea, this is a good one to have. I don’t think it deserves the low Steepster score! I did wait 17 minutes after boiling to steep it, so maybe that is the trick. I really like how this one is strong, but it’s also very malty, sweet and fruity. I’m not sure how it can be light and strong at the same time (maybe it’s the variety of black teas in the blend.) It definitely has exactly what I want in a BREAKFAST tea.

Flavors: Malt, Sweet

NOTE: This review is on the LOOSE LEAF version of the tea.

I enjoy Numi’s organic black teas, in bags or loose leaf, particularly their Chinese Breakfast selection. They also offer some of the best prices I’ve found for a pound of loose leaf tea during their periodic sales. A sale was going on this week so I thought this would be a perfect time to try another Numi product.

The tea leaves in the one pound bag were short and black. The smell was rich and tea-like. No specific aroma jumped out at me.

I steeped the leaves at 212 degrees for five minutes. The brewed aroma had a slightly sweet vegetable quality to it. The color was bright amber.

My whole cup of this tea maintained a pronounced and distinctive taste throughout. The flavor reminded me of sweet potatoes lightly sprinkled with maple syrup. The overall effect was quite smooth and only slightly sweet. I didn’t detect any harshness. The aftertaste was brief and appealing.

This Numi blend turned out to be even better than I hoped. The achievement made the extremely reasonable sale price that much more delightful. I am going to add this brew to my official morning tea rotation. I predict that I will be ordering another pound before this time next year.

Flavors: Maple Syrup, Sweet Potatoes

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 4 tsp 32 OZ / 946 ML

This is a decent black tea. It has a pleasant sweet potato note, but it is rather bitter. It tastes mild enough that it might not stand up to milk well, so if I were to make it again, I would probably steep it for a shorter period of time.

Flavors: Bitter, Sweet Potatoes

Boiling 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Another tea I picked up for travel. At first, it has a nice malt scent. Once brewed, it is very… bold. There are a few different teas in this blend, but I mostly get Assam flavours. Which is normally something I like, but comes across a little too strong here.

Flavors: Malt

My pallet is not that sophisticated, so I am only giving this an 80. This, however, is really good black tea. It is deep and rich, with notes I barely notice in supermarket brands. It definitely has an oaky note. It’s astringent, but not sharp.. even after sitting out a bit.

Bag: Leaves are about 3-4mm in length, bag is white filter paper. Tag contains name of tea and brew length which is 4-5 minutes.
Tea: Dark Maple syrup colored after 4 minute brew at about 200F. Aroma is a light earthy smell, barely noticeable. Flavor mild even earthy flavor nothing to write home about, with a rough astringent after taste that drys the back of the tong. After getting through most of the cup there was an was a mild oak flavor coming through.
Notes: I wouldn’t get this tea again, It was too astringent (bitter drying aftertaste). After drinking 12oz of the tea I needed a glass of ice water. Luckily I was able to try this out at a local coffee place without having to buy the whole box.

Flavors: Astringent, Oak wood, Wet Earth

200 °F / 93 °C 4 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML

I am not a big fan of this tea. It has a really strong and sour flavor. I think it has a bit of that bumpy flavor too. I drink this tea in the morning.

Mini rant: Guys! Please hide the coffee from me so I’ll go back to drinking tea more often. Stupid rough job making me get bad habits for a multi-cup coffee habit that I do not need.

Stash Down: I have been going through my tea and seeing what tea I would actually drink or not because I need to drink more of my teas so I can get some shiny new teas eventually and I found this one. It is really tasty and I am so glad I found that I had a bag of this left to drink. Just a splash of milk and one spoonful of sugar.

TeaBrat

I still drink coffee too but then I think about my giant tea stash – lol

TheTeaFairy

It’s time to come back to us Meg…

Veronica

I used to be a big coffee drinker while my husband was a big tea drinker. Now I’m a big tea drinker and he’s hooked on coffee. :)