Breakfast Blend

Maple Syrup, Sweet Potatoes, Bitter, Malt, Astringent, Oak wood, Wet Earth
Edit tea info Last updated by Christopher B.

• “NOTE: This review is on the LOOSE LEAF version of the tea. I enjoy Numi’s organic black teas, in bags or loose leaf, particularly their Chinese Breakfast selection. They also offer some of the...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is a decent black tea. It has a pleasant sweet potato note, but it is rather bitter. It tastes mild enough that it might not stand up to milk well, so if I were to make it again, I would...” Read full tasting note
  • “Another tea I picked up for travel. At first, it has a nice malt scent. Once brewed, it is very… bold. There are a few different teas in this blend, but I mostly get Assam flavours. Which is...” Read full tasting note
  • “My pallet is not that sophisticated, so I am only giving this an 80. This, however, is really good black tea. It is deep and rich, with notes I barely notice in supermarket brands. It definitely...” Read full tasting note

From Numi Organic Tea

This complex blend of organic black teas – malty Assam, robust Ceylon, brisk Chinese Keemum and hints of floral Darjeeling – creates a hearty, balanced morning cup.

About Numi Organic Tea View company

NOTE: This review is on the LOOSE LEAF version of the tea.

I enjoy Numi’s organic black teas, in bags or loose leaf, particularly their Chinese Breakfast selection. They also offer some of the best prices I’ve found for a pound of loose leaf tea during their periodic sales. A sale was going on this week so I thought this would be a perfect time to try another Numi product.

The tea leaves in the one pound bag were short and black. The smell was rich and tea-like. No specific aroma jumped out at me.

I steeped the leaves at 212 degrees for five minutes. The brewed aroma had a slightly sweet vegetable quality to it. The color was bright amber.

My whole cup of this tea maintained a pronounced and distinctive taste throughout. The flavor reminded me of sweet potatoes lightly sprinkled with maple syrup. The overall effect was quite smooth and only slightly sweet. I didn’t detect any harshness. The aftertaste was brief and appealing.

This Numi blend turned out to be even better than I hoped. The achievement made the extremely reasonable sale price that much more delightful. I am going to add this brew to my official morning tea rotation. I predict that I will be ordering another pound before this time next year.

Flavors: Maple Syrup, Sweet Potatoes

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 4 tsp 32 OZ / 946 ML

This is a decent black tea. It has a pleasant sweet potato note, but it is rather bitter. It tastes mild enough that it might not stand up to milk well, so if I were to make it again, I would probably steep it for a shorter period of time.

Flavors: Bitter, Sweet Potatoes

Boiling 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Another tea I picked up for travel. At first, it has a nice malt scent. Once brewed, it is very… bold. There are a few different teas in this blend, but I mostly get Assam flavours. Which is normally something I like, but comes across a little too strong here.

Flavors: Malt

My pallet is not that sophisticated, so I am only giving this an 80. This, however, is really good black tea. It is deep and rich, with notes I barely notice in supermarket brands. It definitely has an oaky note. It’s astringent, but not sharp.. even after sitting out a bit.

Bag: Leaves are about 3-4mm in length, bag is white filter paper. Tag contains name of tea and brew length which is 4-5 minutes.
Tea: Dark Maple syrup colored after 4 minute brew at about 200F. Aroma is a light earthy smell, barely noticeable. Flavor mild even earthy flavor nothing to write home about, with a rough astringent after taste that drys the back of the tong. After getting through most of the cup there was an was a mild oak flavor coming through.
Notes: I wouldn’t get this tea again, It was too astringent (bitter drying aftertaste). After drinking 12oz of the tea I needed a glass of ice water. Luckily I was able to try this out at a local coffee place without having to buy the whole box.

Flavors: Astringent, Oak wood, Wet Earth

200 °F / 93 °C 4 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML

I am not a big fan of this tea. It has a really strong and sour flavor. I think it has a bit of that bumpy flavor too. I drink this tea in the morning.

Mini rant: Guys! Please hide the coffee from me so I’ll go back to drinking tea more often. Stupid rough job making me get bad habits for a multi-cup coffee habit that I do not need.

Stash Down: I have been going through my tea and seeing what tea I would actually drink or not because I need to drink more of my teas so I can get some shiny new teas eventually and I found this one. It is really tasty and I am so glad I found that I had a bag of this left to drink. Just a splash of milk and one spoonful of sugar.

TeaBrat

I still drink coffee too but then I think about my giant tea stash – lol

TheTeaFairy

It’s time to come back to us Meg…

Veronica

I used to be a big coffee drinker while my husband was a big tea drinker. Now I’m a big tea drinker and he’s hooked on coffee. :)

Not bad. Definitely a nice sipdown combined with a caffeine boost.

I’m drinking it with cranberry honey and almond milk. :) Mmm, honey.

This is something I’d grab if I were out and desperate. Probably wouldn’t buy it again, though.

(1 tea bag, 10 oz water)

This is a really nice black tea, It doesn’t have the bitter edge that many black teas have