Black Chai Blend
Black Pepper, Black Tea, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Clove, Coriander, Fennel, Ginger, Oregano
Spices
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “I signed on, excited that I get to remove something from cupboard. Except that I not only never added to cupboard, but there is no tasting note here, so I guess if I ever wrote one it was just for...” Read full tasting note
  • “You know, I have to be honest. I wasn’t expecting much from this tea. I love Piper & Leaf but the smell of the dry blend threw me off. I’m not sure why because I love chai-spiced blends, but...” Read full tasting note

From PIPER & LEAF Artisan Tea Co.

Light, Subtle, Spicy

“Our farm to cup process reinvents southern tea. Taste the difference of hand processed local fruits and herbs in our teas.”

Not content to relegate itself to only watch the leaves of fall and those of absorbing books during a rainstorm, the summertime chai breaks down all weather barriers with its smooth spiciness. A Light & Breezy Chai.

Ingredients: Nilgiri Black Tea, Organic Cinnamon, Cardamom, Organic Ginger, Black Pepper, Organic Coriander, Organic Dill Seed, Organic Local Oregano, Fennel, Clove

Caffeinated

Brew at 212 degrees for 3.5 minutes

About PIPER & LEAF Artisan Tea Co. View company

I signed on, excited that I get to remove something from cupboard. Except that I not only never added to cupboard, but there is no tasting note here, so I guess if I ever wrote one it was just for Sororitea Sisters? And here I am finishing it off.

While you have all been doing your amazing sipdowns and I am cheering you on because you are amazing, I have managed to finish off a few sample packs and swaps as well as a small tin or two. The problem is that I never added them to cupboard to begin with, so I don’t really count them.

I got this one around Christmas time, maybe a little before? I am not a chai lover, so it was going to be either latte or iced and sweetened for me, and in respect for the name I chose iced. And I actually really like it! It has great sparkle and the spices make it seem extra cold somehow. I do resteep it and mix the two steeps together with sugar and then chill it in a glass carafe. After working outside in the yard most of the day, it was very refreshing on the patio with supper.

Mastress Alita

To me, it is getting back the physical space in an actual cupboard that is the satisfying part of a sipdown!

ashmanra

Mistress Alita: Oh, how right you are! My shelves are neater but my boxes still need lots of help!

You know, I have to be honest. I wasn’t expecting much from this tea. I love Piper & Leaf but the smell of the dry blend threw me off. I’m not sure why because I love chai-spiced blends, but I kept putting this one aside in favor of others. It finally happened that this was the last black tea in my work bag so here we are.

I’ll admit that the addition of oregano and dill seed interests me. I don’t smell or taste those flavors though, unfortunately. Even so, this is a solid and delightful chai. No specific flavor stands out, but it’s nicely spiced. The tea itself isn’t too strong or too weak, nor is it bitter or astringent. I’m very pleasantly surprised and entirely happy with this cup.

Flavors: Spices

ashmanra

I don’t love many chai blends, bit this is great iced to me!

Shae

I haven’t tried it iced! Could you pick up the oregano or dill?

ashmanra

If there is clove in a blend, that is mostly what I taste! I get black tea, clove, but if ginger, fennel, a touch of black pepper, and maybe coriander. I literally just poured a glass to search for the dill and oregano and I don’t taste them, but I am not as good at discerning flavors as some of you!

Shae

Oh I’m not great at picking out individual flavors either. My notes usually just say something like “fruity” lol.