Herbal Rooibos Blend
Berry, Rooibos, Sage, Elderberry, Herbaceous, Jam, Lavender, Medicinal, Pine, Savory, Sweet, Wood, Blueberry, Herbs
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

2 Images

• “One of the last from the sampler pack I picked up last year. I just finished it off this morning. I love how they intentionally blended this to represent Zion. The red color truly does remind me of...” Read full tasting note
  • “Fruit and red rooibos often don’t work for me, but this one turned out okay. Hot or cold, the berry flavor is pleasant, and the rooibos complements it. The lavender could be more obvious, but the...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown! (29 | 350) Honestly, this was one of the ones I was least excited for in the National Park sampler, but I ended up really liking it. The combination of the jammy elderberry with the sage...” Read full tasting note

From Simpson & Vail

Part of the National Park Tea Collection

While there are a variety of plants and herbs growing in Zion, there are not a lot of edible ones which made creating this blend challenging. The base “tea” for this blend was easy as I chose the herb Rooibos (red) to represent the red rock found everywhere in Zion. The pine trees at the park, which almost look out of place squeezing through the rocks to grow, inspired the addition of sage, an herb with a similar taste profile to pine, to the blend. Lavender flowers, an herb that thrives in sunny, hot desert (arid), rocky landscapes, were added for their woody, earthy and floral taste. To complete the blend, I added an elderberry flavor that brought the perfect amount of tart, sweet fruit taste to round out the herbal flavors. This simple yet savory blend brews to a deep red colored cup that has a tantalizing aroma and a creamy fruit and floral taste.

Ingredients: Rooibos, elderberry flavor, sage, lavender, and horsetail.

Brew tea at 212º – steep for 5 minutes.

Caffeine Free

About Simpson & Vail View company

One of the last from the sampler pack I picked up last year. I just finished it off this morning. I love how they intentionally blended this to represent Zion. The red color truly does remind me of photos of Zion.
I feel the stronger tastes are the rooibos and sage. I don’t sense the lavender but I do taste some of the berry. I found it to be an enjoyable tea. I wouldn’t put in on my “must buy” list but I would definitely drink it again.

Flavors: Berry, Rooibos, Sage

Fruit and red rooibos often don’t work for me, but this one turned out okay. Hot or cold, the berry flavor is pleasant, and the rooibos complements it. The lavender could be more obvious, but the flavors that are present blend well. The resteep tastes like sunscreen, so I skip it. I have 4 oz of this, and I’m liking it less as I work my way through, but it gets points for doing something different! I added extra lavender the last time I had it, and I enjoyed it more that way.

Cameron B.

I don’t even like lavender, but ended up enjoying the combination with the elderberry and sage here. :)

Martin Bednář

Interesting combination of elderberry and sage :)

gmathis

I was interested until you said “sunscreen.” Now my tongue just feels sticky!

AJRimmer

Luckily only the second steep tastes like that! To me, the first steep tastes a little like chalky berry, but also like lavender and decent quality rooibos. I get two steeps out of most of my teas, so I’m not too sad about the rare one that doesn’t work for a second!

gmathis

Agreed…since I prefer teas that clout me forcefully on the head, I rarely expect much from a second steep.

Sipdown! (29 | 350)

Honestly, this was one of the ones I was least excited for in the National Park sampler, but I ended up really liking it. The combination of the jammy elderberry with the sage and lavender is just so interesting and unusual, but works really well. The herbs are restrained enough that it doesn’t taste like medicine or perfume.

I’m not sure whether I’ll end up reordering this, but it’s definitely up for consideration. That’s saying a lot for a lavender tea, heh… Highly recommend this National Park tea sampler, almost all of the blends are so unusual but lovely! I think there was only one I wasn’t thrilled with, but even that one was still good.

Flavors: Blueberry, Elderberry, Herbs, Jam, Lavender, Sage, Savory, Sweet

gmathis

Elderberry and sage sound like a good fit. I’m a little surprised the lavender additive (hey—that’s a tongue twister—say it five times fast!) didn’t stick out like a sore thumb.

tea-sipper

Thanks for your rec on this sampler! Will probably go in my next order from S&V.

Cameron B.

I was so thrilled with it after finding the holiday one a bit ho-hum for the most part.