No. 47 Bungalow

Darjeeling Tea
Almond, Butter, Grass, Herbs, Lemon Zest, Malt, Muscatel, Nutmeg, Raisins, Straw, Toast, Wood, Flowers, Roasted nuts, Vegetal
Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Teatotaler

• “I was able to get an appointment to see my doctor, and this is the tea I had during the drive. I really enjoyed the toasty notes this morning. It went well with the rainy day we are having, and it...” Read full tasting note
  • “Good morning Steepster, Life has been sucky for me since I broke my arm last Saturday. I’ve been in a lot of pain and it’s also difficult to do things with one hand. Luckily I can type a bit with...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’m not tasting fruit but toasty, nutty, buttery – YES. It’s Medium Brown in color and has a bit of a toasty after taste. This is a nice, average cup. I don’t think oversteeping/infusing would...” Read full tasting note
  • “I love Darjeeling. Some years back, I received a beautiful tin that was filled with the tastiest Darjeeling. It was the first Darjeeling I ever experienced, and since that time, I’ve been trying...” Read full tasting note

From Steven Smith Teamaker

About this Tea
Grown in the foothills of the Himalayas, this blend of first and second flush organic Darjeeling teas produces a light, yet complex tea with the aroma and flavor of fruits, nuts and flowers complemented by rich, toasty, buttery notes.

A blend of high grown hand-picked Indian Darjeeling first and second flush FTGFOP1 teas.

About Steven Smith Teamaker View company

I was able to get an appointment to see my doctor, and this is the tea I had during the drive. I really enjoyed the toasty notes this morning. It went well with the rainy day we are having, and it tasted terrific. I was enjoying it so much that it had little chance to cool, so a lot of the other flavors were not present. Still a tasty cup.

Turns out I have a double ear infection and strep throat, so I will be spending this weekend at home with my blankets, books, and tea while the medicine does its thing. Can’t say this makes me overly sad.

oh goodness! that’s awful but some great weekend plans :)

Veronica

Yeah, I haven’t had an ear infection since I was a kid. I forgot how much it hurts!

yyz

Hope your feeling better soon!

caile

Hope you feel better soon! Enjoy staying warm and cozy at home!

Thanks!

JustJames

hopefully all will be better for the holidays…… feel better!

Indigobloom

Get better soon! strep is rough, I had it over the summer :(

TeaBrat

feel better!

Bonnie

Get better! Glad you went to the doctor. I had a ear infection for a long time and it turned out that I was allergic to the medicine for the infection. So, if you don’t get better, don’t be dumb like I was! Go back!

Veronica

Thanks, everyone! I do feel a little better today.

@Bonnie – Yikes! I’ve never had an allergic reaction to medicine, but that can’t be fun. I’ll definitely keep an eye on my ears (so to speak).

Good morning Steepster,
Life has been sucky for me since I broke my arm last Saturday. I’ve been in a lot of pain and it’s also difficult to do things with one hand. Luckily I can type a bit with my left hand and use the mouse. Teabags seem easier because less clean up is involved, but getting these individual packets out is not. I’ve had this particular SS tea before and it isn’t one of my favorites from them but it’s pretty good for a 2nd flush darjeeling. See previous notes for more details.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
caile

Oh gosh, that’s too bad about your arm! Hopefully the pain will subside soon!

Dinosara

Ouch! Hope it heals quickly!

TeaBrat

thanks :)

CharlotteZero

I hope your arm feels better soon!

ack! having never broken anything, i can’t imagine the pain and annoyance. I hope that it heals nicely for you..and super faster than normal!

ifjuly

sorry to hear about your arm! i hope you feel better ASAP.

I’m not tasting fruit but toasty, nutty, buttery – YES. It’s Medium Brown in color and has a bit of a toasty after taste. This is a nice, average cup. I don’t think oversteeping/infusing would be wise…I think it may be bitter if over steeped/infused.

__Morgana__

Would have been funny if this was a Bigelow tea. Bigelow Bungalow. ;-)

Meghann M

@Morgana-LOL. Thanks for the laugh :)

I love Darjeeling.

Some years back, I received a beautiful tin that was filled with the tastiest Darjeeling. It was the first Darjeeling I ever experienced, and since that time, I’ve been trying to find a Darjeeling that compares. The tin has long since vanished in the “black hole” that is my art studio (don’t ask!) and the name of the company that distributed the tea has long since vanished from my memory. So I haven’t ever been able to restock my shelves with that exact brand.

However, I have found some suitable substitutes… that taste almost (if not just as) good as that first Darjeeling.

This is one such Darjeeling. It has a very pleasant muscatel essence to it – slightly spicy, musky/woodsy, with a pleasant, palate-cleansing astringency. Tannic, but not pushing the edge to bitter. Like a fine, dry wine.

Steven Smith rocks!

As I’ve noted before, until my senses return to full capacity, I won’t be offering a numeric rating to this tea – as it wouldn’t be fair. However, I do have enough of this tea to last me until I’m feeling better, at which time, I’ll rate it accordingly.

LiberTEAS

Also… my review for this tea just published on the Tea Review Blog, if you’d be interested in checking it out:

Another from the generous ifjuly! :)

This was very nice. A good combination of flushes, it was a nice deep golden color and all the good characteristics of a darjeeling while skipping a few of the not so nice ones. It was well balanced, thicker than a first flush but not extremely dry. In fact, not really dry at all but oversteeping could lead to bitterness – there was a faint hint of it in my steep. This one needs to be watched closely, but in my experience, a lot of darjeelings need to be watched closely. They are sometimes sneaky and finicky.

I don’t know that I would replace this one but if I were on the cusp of free shipping I might throw this one in the cart, knowing it would be enjoyed. Or if I ran across it locally on sale I might grab it.

This morning I set about making teas and I realized the Steven Smith Teamaker sampler I got was not a sampler with four teabags of three teas, but rather 12 different ones! I gave this one a go, since I really love darjeeling, and it was a good cup. It had a thick feel to it, and was clearly a darjeeling, but as others noted: it’s solid but not a showstopper. Decent cup.

Right out of the bag, that Darjeeling beckons with kohl-lidded eyes. There’s enough smoke to offset the sultry aroma with a hint of danger: “Come hither–if you dare.” But once steeped, this rounds out into golden smoothness, the kind of salt-copper scent you’d associate more with a Fujian or a Yunnan. This is definitely a Darjeeling with at-tea-tude.

The sip-’sperience is a letdown. When will we ever learn that dry leaves can tell many many lies? Bungalow leads you into the darkened bedroom and then expects you to play Solitaire for the rest of the night… Full review here: http://snooteablog.com/2013/07/16/snooty-tea-review-steven-smith-tea-round-1/

Thanks for the sample, Sara!

This one came in a nice sachet and was a decent cup of tea. Slightly astringent, brown in color with mild flavors of the breakfast tray: buttered toast and a tiny bouquet of wildflowers. I wouldn’t buy it, just because there are so many other darjeelings out there I love more (I miss the big floral, big orange-squash flavors), but it hits the spot well enough.

This tea reminds me of warm, buttered toast on a crisp fall day.

Alright, it’s time for another back-of-the-tea cabinet discovery. I’ve been my working my way through this Darjeeling blend for the better part of the week. At the time of this writing, I only have one sachet left and will probably go ahead and finish it before I go to bed. Even with a little age, this blend holds up well.

I prepared this tea in the Western style. I steeped one sachet in approximately 8 ounces of 212 F water for 5 minutes. I attempted no subsequent infusions.

Prior to infusion, a whiff of the sachet revealed aromas of toast, wood, raisin, herbs, and spices. After infusion, I picked up refined aromas of herbs, toast, malt, wood, Muscatel, and butter. In the mouth, I found notes of wood, herbs, butter, toast, grass, straw, malt, lemon zest, roasted almond, and Muscatel underscored by subtle raisin and very mild nutmeg notes. The finish was smooth, yet fleeting. There were lingering touches of herbs, toast, roasted almond, and wood chased by a very faint fruitiness.

This was a fairly solid blend. I think it would be good for someone who just wants a predictable, consistent cup and is not all that interested in the world of single origin, single flush Darjeelings, though I could also see it being a good introduction to Darjeelings in general. While I’m glad I tried this, I doubt I would go out of my way to purchase it again. It played it a little too safe for my liking and didn’t surprise me in any way.

Flavors: Almond, Butter, Grass, Herbs, Lemon Zest, Malt, Muscatel, Nutmeg, Raisins, Straw, Toast, Wood

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML