Sun Moon Lake Spring Red Jade T-18 Black Tea, Lot 644

Menthol, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by LuckyMe

1 Tasting Note View all

• “Backlog. Weird is how I would describe this tea. It’s got this strange wood and menthol taste that I found off-putting. No aroma in the dry leaf. Wet leaf smelled like Vicks Vaporub and had some...” Read full tasting note

From Taiwan Tea Crafts

We sold out of Mr. Li’s excellent spring offering and were eager to see what his October production would be like. To our surprise, it’s better! Mr. Li grows and produces tea with his wife and two teenager boys from leaves that never see a drop of synthetic pesticide. This cleanliness is definitely noticeable in the cup! “Clean” is again the word that comes to mind when the nectar reaches your lips, mouth and throat. This tea flows without dips or spikes in a harmonious balance of fruity and spicy notes without a hint of harshness. Compared to our previous spring Lot 612, this one is smooth and very fragrant. We are now more and more inclined to select teas from cooler seasons as they tend propose a more supple body and the beautiful jammy fruitiness typical of T-18 teas. If you enjoyed Lot 612, this Lot remains generous and full-bodied but with al little less astringency, and what aromatics! Red Jade Tea is as much a pleasure for the nose as it is for the taste buds! As producers of Red Jade Black Tea ourselves, we know when we are in the presence of a superior quality tea. This Lot 644 is definitely a benchmark Red Jade. Finally, this particular Lot was tested for compliance with the stringent EU norm for residual pesticide content and it came out squeaky clean – another good reason for supporting Mr. Li’s work!

About Taiwan Tea Crafts View company

1 Tasting Note

Backlog.

Weird is how I would describe this tea. It’s got this strange wood and menthol taste that I found off-putting. No aroma in the dry leaf. Wet leaf smelled like Vicks Vaporub and had some darjeeling woodsiness. The first steep tasted exactly like how it smelled. As it cooled, the menthol lessened a bit and I tasted more of the woodsy, bug bitten flavor. The next two steeps had the same medicinal taste.

I gongfued this tea and could have kept going but decided to stop after the 3rd steep. I really disliked the minty/menthol taste which seemed all that this tea had to offer. There wasn’t any depth nor did the tea change from steep to steep.

I’ve heard great things about Taiwanese black tea so my experience here was a letdown. This was one of four black teas in my Taiwanese black tea sampler pack from TTC. Hoping I have better luck with the others.

Flavors: Menthol, Wood

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 30 sec 3 g 5 OZ / 160 ML
Chrysostom

I’m a big fan of their Yuchi Wild Mountain Black

LuckyMe

Thanks for the recommendation. Luckily I’ve got that one in my sampler pack. Will be trying it next.