Plum Rooster - Long Jing Black

Honey, Peppercorn, Plums, Roasted Barley, Soy sauce, Baked Bread, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Earth, Malt, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Berries, Burnt Sugar, Floral, Potato, Sugarcane, Tangy
Edit tea info Last updated by teabento

• “Plum Rooster is the favorite so far out of the black teas from Teabento. It is a black Long Jing. The notes are of pomelo, butter, mineral, and various baked goods like eggy cookies and sourdough....” Read full tasting note
  • “Tasty and unique black with sweet notes of ripe plum and honey balanced by savory notes of soy sauce, peppercorn, and toasted grain. So far this is my favorite tea I’ve tried from Teabento.” Read full tasting note
  • “Mmm, lovely earthy, sweet, rich, cocoa, bread, malt with hints of sweet potato. I used a bit more dry leaf in my western style steep than I normally would and I think it served me well. This...” Read full tasting note
  • “I was intrigued to see this relatively uncommon tea on Teabento’s website. This seems to be part of the trend to turn varietals that are usually made into white or green teas into blacks, sometimes...” Read full tasting note

From teabento

Red Plum Rooster is a high-quality, extremely hard-to-find Long Jing Black Tea. The tea has a mild floral fragrance with berry­like and plummy scents, as well as hints of cookies and chocolate. The liquor is smooth, mellow and lightly sweet, with a delightful fruitiness resembling the flavours of berries or plums, which is nicely balanced out by a slightly malty note. The long-lasting aftertaste is refreshing, slightly citric and floral. A really peculiar and delicious black tea!

>> To find this tea at: https://teabento.com/en/product/plum-rooster/

About teabento View company

Plum Rooster is the favorite so far out of the black teas from Teabento. It is a black Long Jing. The notes are of pomelo, butter, mineral, and various baked goods like eggy cookies and sourdough. This tea is quite delicate, so it gets bitter and dry in 5 infusions.

Full review, along with other Teabento black tea reviews, on Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/black-teas-teabento/

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 1 g 1 OZ / 15 ML

Flavors: Honey, Peppercorn, Plums, Roasted Barley, Soy sauce

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 4 OZ / 120 ML
Inkay

Wow, that sounds really interesting. I hadn’t really been interested in teabento’s offerings that I’d seen so far but this looks like something I’d try.

Mmm, lovely earthy, sweet, rich, cocoa, bread, malt with hints of sweet potato. I used a bit more dry leaf in my western style steep than I normally would and I think it served me well. This reminds me very much of Laoshan Black, which I have been drinking fairly often in the past couple of weeks, but with a twist. It has that same smooth bread, rich, malt, cocoa, earth thing going on, but more sweetness and a lighter lilt to it as compared to the heavier more grounded feel of a Laoshan Black.

A very enjoyable cup.

The loveliness continues in steep two and three, though the sweetness begins to fade and the slightest bit of astringency starts to set in.

Thank you, teabento, for sending me a generous sample of this to try.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Earth, Malt, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes

I was intrigued to see this relatively uncommon tea on Teabento’s website. This seems to be part of the trend to turn varietals that are usually made into white or green teas into blacks, sometimes with mixed results. Thanks for providing a sample for me to try!

The leaves aren’t pressed flat as in the green version of this tea, but are your standard spindly, somewhat fragmented hongcha. Upon opening the bag, I understand why Teabento decided to call it Plum Rooster, as the scent of plum skin and barley sugar hits my nose. I followed their steeping directions for infusions of 1 minute, 30 seconds, and 3 minutes at 185F, although I used a 120 ml vessel and about 3 grams of tea.

The first steep has that plummy note, combined with barley sugar and florals. The aftertaste is kind of starchy, reminding me weirdly of raw potato. There’s no astringency or bitterness present, and if I didn’t know better, I’d swear someone had added sugar to this.

In the second steep, the plummy note seems even sweeter and more berry-like, maybe like blackberries or cranberries. This is a very sugary tea! It’s also smooth and easy to drink.

The third steep of three minutes is less fruity and a bit drying; maybe I used too much leaf and should have shortened it. The sweetness, though, persists. An attempted fourth steep of six minutes was similar and I think the tea is finished at this point.

While I enjoyed trying this tea, I don’t think it’ll be replacing my Yunnan or Taiwanese staples anytime soon. It’s kind of similar to a black Dan Cong I tried from Camellia Sinensis, leading me to wonder whether these “non-traditional” varieties tend to produce very sweet black teas. (Clearly, more research is needed!) That sweetness is also the main point of similarity between it and regular Long Jing, as it lacks the typical nutty flavour. All in all, I’m pleased to have expanded my horizons.

Flavors: Berries, Burnt Sugar, Floral, Plums, Potato, Sugarcane, Sweet, Tangy