Organic Tian Mu Yun Wu Green Tea

Green Tea
Green Tea, Green Tea Leaves
Green, Honey, Seaweed, Sweet, Umami, Vegetal, Beany, Floral, Spinach, Sweet, warm grass, Kettle Corn, Grass, Cut grass, Wet Earth
Low
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Backlog from last month. Thank you to Teavivre for the free samples! These are the notes I took compiled from three of us doing a group tasting: This is a very flavourful green tea and it has a...” Read full tasting note
  • “2017 harvest sample provided by Teavivre. Thank you! Had a gongfu session, brewing 3g in a 60ml porcelain gaiwan with 180 degree water (the ratio is a bit higher than the recommended, which is...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipping this sample down by drinking it western (3min) and gongfu style (10sec, etc) simultaneously. Lots of seaweed and umami notes ensue. Would it be too much if I drank my seaweed tea while...” Read full tasting note
  • “Another sample from Teavivre! Thank you! I’m trying to write tasting notes quickly because they were nice enough to send some samples over, and sometimes I don’t try the samples at their...” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

Growing Area:Tianmu Mountain(天目山), Lin’an County, Hangzhou City, Zhejiang

Standard of plucking: One bud with one leaf

Dry tea:Deep green, curly, wiry and well twisted, acicular shape, covered by a high percentage of white fuzz.

Aroma:Dry stir-fried bean aroma mixed with slight fresh flowery flavor.

Color of liquor: Light green, the rich fuzz suspended in it make it look not so clear.

Taste: It tastes brisk & sweet as mountain spring water.

Tree species:Cuifeng tea cultivar

Tea Garden: Bao Jia organic tea garden (about 800m above sea level).

Fermentation:Non-fermentation

Shelf life:18 months

云雾 (Yun Wu) literally means “cloud and mist,” is something of a generic name for green teas. In general, the higher the green teas are ranked, the milder the taste will be. Like most of the high grade green teas, Teavivre’s organic Tian Mu Yun Wu tea also has a delightfully light taste. But its stir-fried bean fragrance is not as prominent as others green teas when first infused. The flavor of this tea is very smooth and there is definitely some light fresh sweetness and briskness in each sip, which may remind you of the spring taste, sweet and long-lasting.

About Teavivre View company

Backlog from last month. Thank you to Teavivre for the free samples!

These are the notes I took compiled from three of us doing a group tasting:
This is a very flavourful green tea and it has a strong green flavour.
Notes of seaweed, but it isn’t salty.
Vegetal
Kind of sweet like the scent of honey
Umami (seaweed/kelp) but not buttery
Not astringent at all in any of the steeps.
Gets more floral, honey, seaweed flavour in the 2nd and 3rd steeps. The first steep was the greenest.

Flavors: Green, Honey, Seaweed, Sweet, Umami, Vegetal

2017 harvest sample provided by Teavivre. Thank you!

Had a gongfu session, brewing 3g in a 60ml porcelain gaiwan with 180 degree water (the ratio is a bit higher than the recommended, which is 1g:30ml). No rinse. Followed the website’s steeping directions directions: 10 seconds, 15, 20, 25, 35.

The dry leaf aroma is lightly sweet with notes of corn silk, white sugar, and hay; and transforms into butter and fresh blueberry muffins after I let the leaf sit in the pre-heated gaiwan. (I triple-checked – yes, blueberry muffins!) The wet leaf aroma is drastically different: vegetal and savory. I didn’t let the leaf rest in fresh air as usual when they’re packaged in these packets, and that may explain the bizarre yet fascinatingly scrumptious aromas.

With a fresh and lively feel, the liquor is bright green in color and full-bodied. It has a sometimes thick, sometimes creamy texture. Though clean tasting, there are many bits of bud fuzz floating around. The liquor tastes similar to the wet leaf aroma in that it is vegetal and savory. Heavy in flavor, but not in substance. Tops off with a sweet finish. No aftertaste. The taste and feel are consistent throughout the session.

I went beyond the recommended steeping times: 45 seconds; 1 minute, 2, 5. I could have stopped with 45, the sixth infusion, which tastes lighter and sweeter than the previous five and has a cooling sensation. Thereafter, the liquor tastes cooked.

Teavivre continues to offer excellent green teas. I’m not much for savory green teas, but I really like this one. It’s a little more high-end for the pricing of 100g, but seems worth it.

Sipping this sample down by drinking it western (3min) and gongfu style (10sec, etc) simultaneously. Lots of seaweed and umami notes ensue. Would it be too much if I drank my seaweed tea while eating my seaweed snacks? Only time will tell.

Steep Count: 3 (x2)

(2017 spring harvest)

Flavors: Beany, Seaweed, Sweet, Umami, Vegetal

170 °F / 76 °C
Evol Ving Ness

I have been all over my toasted seaweed snacks this week.

CrowKettle

I’ve been on a roll with them since the beginning of spring. Buying enough and keeping them in stock around the house has been… tricky.

Evol Ving Ness

Also most excellent with leftover Korean rice and a dash of sesame oil. Yeah, addictive.

Another sample from Teavivre! Thank you! I’m trying to write tasting notes quickly because they were nice enough to send some samples over, and sometimes I don’t try the samples at their freshest. Oh but this one is fresh! Such lovely fragrance even just opening the sample — sweetest creamy corn and the flavor is exactly the same as the scent. And I adore these types of green teas. The flavor is lighter, but so delicious. The brew is smooth and clear even though the leaves have plenty of fuzzies. The dry leaves are extremely spiky, long and twisted together. I used two teaspoons, or possibly more because they were clinging together so much. Over the years of trying Teavivre’s teas, I’ve wanted to stock up on most of them that I’ve tried! How does Teavivre find these amazing teas? They are the tastiest teas! I couldn’t even pick a favorite green from Teavivre because they are all so good. I definitely wouldn’t need to buy my green teas anywhere else.
Steep #1 // 2 teaspoons for a full mug// 33 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #2 // 25 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Harvest: 2017

Flavors: Kettle Corn, Sweet

No doubt Teavivre has some excellent green tea but unfortunately most of the ones I tried this year were kinda lackluster compared to the year before. The one exception though was this tea. I wasn’t expecting much from this inexpensive, lesser-known tea but I’m pretty blown away at how good it is.

The aroma of the dry leaf alone is enough to tell you this is going to be good. It smells floral and spinachy, then in a heated vessel intensifies into something like buttered sweet corn, flowers, and honey. After steeping, the tea has a mellow sweet pea taste and fresh grassy flavor. The texture is gentle and refreshing, it feels like a pleasant spring breeze across your face. Not too nutty nor astringent.

This one needs quite a bit of leaf for best results. I usually steep my greens semi-gong fu style using 2g of leaf or less. For this though, I had to use half the 7g sample pack. Also, the flavor seems to fade a little faster on resteep than I’d like.

I would not recommend storing this tea in the fridge. I refrigerate most of my greens which helps extend their freshness but occasionally there are some like this that don’t do well in the cold. The fridge made my second sample pack bitter despite being sealed and stored properly.

Flavors: Floral, Grass, Spinach

175 °F / 79 °C 0 min, 30 sec 4 g 6 OZ / 171 ML

Hello, I have taken a huge break from tea reviewing, even though I have drinking tons and tons of new teas! This one made me realize I need to review it, since no one has yet done it!

This one is reminds me of a foggy spring morning…sorry for the flowery description, but that’s what the taste feels to me. It has a strange brewing time for a green tea…5-8 Minutes! I thought for sure that it would be bitter as a lemon. And it has no astringency whatsoever. It’s just mellow. It reminds me of a white tea! You can see the leaves as they open that they are youngsters.

I would gladly have this tea on a break from his bitter green tea cousins. I could see this tea be nice iced, too. I have a pattern I do this with most Japanese green teas. I brew them hot twice, and on my last brew, I throw cold water over it, and let it brew once more overnight in the fridge for just one more go with the leaves.

I am on my 2nd brew, and it’s lost some of it’s depth. Not sure what the steps to rebrew this tea would be.

Flavors: Cut grass, Wet Earth