Organic Lapsang Souchong Smoky Black Tea

Smoke, Wood
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Omigoodness, yes! This one is just smoky enough without the harshness of char. I steeped this in my Libre travel mug. I went light on the dry leaf and long on the steeping and it was perfect. ...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sample provided by Teavivre. Thank you, Angel! Brewed 3.5g in a 60ml gaiwan. Gave the leaf a flash rinse. Followed the website’s steeping times: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 35, 45 (went beyond to do 1...” Read full tasting note
  • “smokey tea sample from angel this is a really nicely done smokey tea. It’s not overpowering and this smoke is quite nice. As always, i added just a tiny splash of maple syrup and this was...” Read full tasting note
  • “Unsmoked or mildly smoky Lapsang Souchong counts among my favourite teas but I can still love a smoky Lapsang when it is done well. There needs to be a nice balance between the flavours from the...” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

Origin: Tong Mu Guan (桐木关), Wuyi Mountain, Fujian Province, China

Plucking Standard: One bud with two or three leaves

Dry Leaf: Tightly twisted strip, glossy black in color with a little bit golden tips
Aroma: Remarkable and strong aroma of a pine wood fire but not overwhelming
Liquor: Bright orange-yellow

Taste: With notes of pine smoky flavor, it tastes soft, mellow with sweet aftertaste, leaving a very pleasant fragrant smell lingering in mouth and throat.

Tea Bush: Wuyi Qi Cong Cultivar

Tea Garden: Tongmu Organic Tea Garden

A distinctive black tea with well-balanced aroma of pine smoky flavor that is most suitable for tea lovers who prefer strong-tasting tea.

About Teavivre View company

Omigoodness, yes! This one is just smoky enough without the harshness of char. I steeped this in my Libre travel mug. I went light on the dry leaf and long on the steeping and it was perfect. Just the right amount of body and smokiness. Smooth, smooth, smooth. A very enjoyable cup and I am aiming to have another very soon.

Thank you, Angel, for this sample. This is likely one that I would include in my next order.

Flavors: Smoke, Wood

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Indigobloom

Sounds yummy!! Was it a yunnan base, do you know?

Evol Ving Ness

Nope, Fujian, the other side of China. Wuyi Qi Cong Cultivar. I really really wish I had been into tea when I was in Yunnan.

Indigobloom

I hear you on that. Must be a real kicker losing that opportunity. Maybe you’ll go again one day :)

Evol Ving Ness

Nonetheless, I had bought tons of tea and enjoyed many many cups along the way. I am just far more knowledgeable about it now and would be able to choose far more carefully. Still, I absolutely loved Yunnan and have great memories of the various places I visited and conversations I had with people that I met there. I just wasn’t guided and driven by tea, whereas now I most likely would be.

Evol Ving Ness

To some extent. No regrets though.

Sample provided by Teavivre. Thank you, Angel!

Brewed 3.5g in a 60ml gaiwan. Gave the leaf a flash rinse. Followed the website’s steeping times: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 35, 45 (went beyond to do 1 minute, 2, 4, and 9).

It’s not at all surprising to smell campfire when I open the packet. It’s nicely smokey, very unoffensive. The smoke becomes muted when I let the leaf sit in the pre-heated gaiwan, bringing out a scent of BBQ’d pork ribs covered with sweet BBQ sauce. The wet leaf aroma smells like unburned pine wood and a touch of honey.

The liquor is the color of creamy orange. It’s not at all opaque, clear rather, but it is a soft-looking orange. Medium-bodied, considering the leaf and not the smoke. Has a smooth texture. The flavors don’t change throughout the session. They instead remain very much the same: pine smoke, dry wood, charcoal (burned wood bits), BBQ’d pork. The smokey aftertaste is mellow. As I said on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/p/BP5gFNZhnIL/), this smoky Lapsang Souchong feels cozy and figuratively tastes like winter air filled with smoke arising from suburban houses’ chimneys.

I’ve had more un-smoky Lapsang Souchong (or Zhen Shan Xiao Zhong) than smoky and prefer those, but I did like this one. I wouldn’t buy it. I never feel like I want a smoky Lapsang Souchong – I just don’t enjoy it enough. For those who do, give this a try. The leaf quality isn’t high since the leaf consists of a lot of broken pieces, but given that it’s a lower grade that is smoke, it isn’t an issue.

200 °F / 93 °C

smokey tea sample from angel this is a really nicely done smokey tea. It’s not overpowering and this smoke is quite nice. As always, i added just a tiny splash of maple syrup and this was delightful.

Unsmoked or mildly smoky Lapsang Souchong counts among my favourite teas but I can still love a smoky Lapsang when it is done well. There needs to be a nice balance between the flavours from the smoke and the flavour of the underlying tea. This one is quite enjoyable. The tea itself has a silky oolong like texture in the mouth and in early steeps is intensely sweet. This contrasts nicely with the cooling menthol like notes from the pine. For a smoky tea the aftertaste is actually quite refreshing and even cooling. Thank you so much Angel for the sample I quite enjoyed it.
Notes:
2.5 g in 110ml of water at boiling
The dry leaf is moderately broken colour mostly dull dark chocolate brown some stems.
The smell is quite smoky but with a sweet pine tar smell mixed with a sweet caramel fruity note in the tea. It smells like fall at my cousins cottage on Georgian bay. It is a mix of syrup, forest and maple notes.
First steep 45s. The first flavour note is sweet caramel mixed with tart stone fruit that opens up to a spicy woody pine/ menthol note mixed with mild smoke which afterwards blends into an even sweeter almost birch syrup ( cooler maple) note. It finishes with very refreshing note in the mouth.
The tea feels very soft and silky in the mouth. The colour is a slightly red toned caramel.
2nd steep. The scent is less smoky more of an aged spicy wood scent that is sweet like a cedar lined sauna. There is a slightly thicker feeling in the mouth with a mild astringency. The tea is slightly more fruity with a touch of malt added to the mix above. Once again a very bright cooling aftertaste is present.
3rd steep. The smoke and pine/cedar wood scent smells more like spent incense. The colour of the tea is more red than caramel. This steep returned to a creamy silky feeling on the tongue. There is a taste of caramel complete with hints of vanilla and hints of ripe plum. It still ends with a cooling feeling on the tongue and an aftertaste of spice and incense.
4th steep. The flavour is fruity and incense like. The tea remains cooling on the tongue. The caramel sweetness is less apparent. You can still taste pine on the edge of the flavour notes.

5th steep. The tea still has a nice body but the flavours are waning.