Peppermint Bark

Herbal Rooibos Blend
Chocolate, Grass, Hay, Peppermint, Spearmint, Vanilla, Creamy, Sweet, Cocoa, Sugar, Toast, Candy, Mint, White Chocolate, Smooth
Tea Bag
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by laurenpressley
Boiling 6 min, 15 sec 9 oz / 256 ml

From The Republic of Tea

Cool Winter Herb Tea – Fill your home with the aromas of peppermint and chocolate with this sweet herbal tea. Green rooibos, sourced from a Rainforest Alliance Certified™ farm, mingles perfectly with the flavors of organic cocoa and peppermint. This caffeine-free cup is best savored by a roaring fire after a holiday meal to settle the tummy and satisfy your sweet tooth.

INGREDIENTS
Organic, Rainforest Alliance Certified™ green rooibos, peppermint, organic cocoa extract, organic vanilla flavor and stevia leaf

About The Republic of Tea View company

This tea smells and tastes a bit like peppermint schnapps, but without the alcohol burn.

This tastes pretty much like an ordinary peppermint tea to me. The peppermint isn’t very strong and is tasted mainly at the back of the tongue. The added stevia adds a spearmint like nuance to the edges of the peppermint, and the green rooibos adds a hay/grassy like undertone to the taste. The peppermint remains at the forefront. The chocolate and vanilla notes are experienced mainly through the nose.

Flavors: Chocolate, Grass, Hay, Peppermint, Spearmint, Vanilla

8 min or more

Free sachet with catalog. 5 min, 200F
Pretty good. Creaminess and peppermint, but not overpowering. I might get some for the holiday season. It has stevia, but thankfully it’s not too sweet.

Flavors: Creamy, Peppermint, Sweet

I received a bag of this as a freebie with the quarterly Republic of Tea catalog. Even though I am trying to primarily focus on unflavored teas and tea blends, I still wanted to give this a shot. I’m not a huge fan of the teas offered by The Republic of Tea, but hey, I figured that it wouldn’t hurt to try one more. I love peppermint, cocoa, and vanilla (I’m not sure how I feel about green rooibos at this point), so I figured this one might be a winner.

I prepared this tea using a one step Western infusion. I steeped my sample bag in 8 ounces of 212 F water for around 5 minutes. I am not in the habit of resteeping tisanes or anything in a teabag, so I did not attempt additional infusions.

After infusion, the liquor produced strong aromas of cocoa, vanilla, and peppermint. There was a slightly toasty character that I presume was provided by the green rooibos. I could also pick up on a slight sugary scent from the stevia. In the mouth, I got a muddy mix of peppermint, stevia, cocoa, vanilla creme, and toast followed by a finish that continued to emphasize peppermint, cocoa, and vanilla creme notes, though there was also an oddly sugary sweetness from the stevia that became a bit distracting for me.

So, it would appear that I am still looking for a tea from The Republic of Tea that I actually like. I think what killed this one for me was how muddled the flavors were and how sickly sweet this blend became toward the finish. I am far from a fan of stevia, and I think this blend may have been slightly better without it. I also noticed that the green rooibos base was just barely detectable. It seems that a lot of herbal blends are going to rooibos as a base component these days, and while I like rooibos, I am undecided on green rooibos and tend to feel that rooibos of any sort is better on its own. I also have a little bit of an issue with the teamakers seemingly deliberately obscuring a component of this blend to the point that it is just barely detectable. I get that the green rooibos is likely there just to provide body, but why even bother at all? Why not use something else? In the end, I’m glad I had the opportunity to try this one and will give it points for decently approximating the flavor of peppermint bark, but I would most definitely not go out of my way to have it again.

Flavors: Cocoa, Peppermint, Sugar, Sweet, Toast, Vanilla

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML
Fjellrev

Ah see, I like green rooibos because it doesn’t take over a blend like its red sibling can. It allows room for other flavours to flourish.

This is the quarterly Republic of Tea catalog freebie. I’m sure it will be interesting because this is definitely not something I would have chosen on my own. I like mint and am in love with vanilla. However, rooibos and I are not friends. Though I guess green rooibos isn’t quite as bad…

Flavor-wise, the mint is in the foreground and it is oh-so-tingly. Really cools and lingers in your mouth. It’s followed by a very nice, smooth vanilla. It’s desserty with creamy notes of white chocolate. Yeah, this actually tastes like peppermint bark. Though the peppermint has that faint pickle taste that I swear is there but only I ever taste. As far as the rooibos goes, I really can’t taste it. The mint is just too loud.

While this is interesting and makes a nice after-dinner treat, it’s still not really something I’d get for the cupboard. When I go for seasonal teas, I don’t really crave peppermint. I want caramel, cinnamon, pumpkin, clove, nutmeg, that kind of thing.

Flavors: Candy, Mint, Peppermint, Spearmint, Vanilla, White Chocolate

Been using this tea up gradually since it’s from last year. I pretty much hate peppermint tea, this is the only one I tolerate and enjoy. The Stevia adds some great sweetness, it’s not too heavy of a mint flavor, the smoothness and creaminess really balance it out well.

Flavors: Creamy, Mint, Peppermint, Smooth, Sweet

Boiling 8 min or more

Thanks for this freebie, Ost! Always willing to try, especially a minty chocolate tea but WHOA this is the tea with the most splenda I’ve ever had. It’s almost unbearably too sweet with hints of mint and chocolate behind all of that splenda. It’s just too much. They should have just labeled this one splenda. :/

Already sweetened, but not too sweetly. The peppermint is great, and the chocolate adds a smoothness more so than “hey, I’m chocolate!” Tasty, but if you’re after a rather chocolatey tea, you’d have to look elsewhere. Still yummy! :)

Flavors: Peppermint

This really does taste like peppermint bark. The aftertaste is amazing! I don’t mind the stevia! I just finished my first cup but can see this becoming a favorite.

Flavors: Creamy, Peppermint, Spearmint

I had a sample of this from the holidays so I gave it a try today. It seemed interesting, but had stevia leaf, so it’s not really my thing. Luckily, my 4 year old loved it (“Sorry, Mom, I’m going to want to drink the whole cup.”) so it will be consumed.