Taiwan 'Jin Xuan' Milk Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Butter, Popcorn, Vegetables, Broccoli, Coconut, Cream, Garden Peas, Green Melons, Honey, Kale, Orchid, Butterscotch, Cantaloupe, Custard, Floral, Grass, Honeydew, Honeysuckle, Milk, Mineral, Pineapple, Spinach, Vegetal, Artichoke, Creamy, Flowers, Sugarcane, Sweet, Tropical
Edit tea info Last updated by Kaushik Iyer

• “Discovery tea box – Tea #8 I hope everyone celebrating has a great Thanksgiving! I had this one a couple days ago. A delicious oolong. Surprisingly I didn’t notice much in the way of a ‘milk’...” Read full tasting note
  • “I am on my 8th rebrew and it’s still strong. The dry leaf smell is intense and so buttery. I had the other milk oolong What-cha had, and I prefer this one. I know there’s extra flavoring, but it’s...” Read full tasting note
  • “First oolong. First grandpa-style brewing. Overwhelming tastes of butter. There’s butter popcorn down there somewhere, and buttered veggies. But mainly just butter and it’s delicious.” Read full tasting note
  • “Brewed grandpa style with about a 1:1 grams/oz tea and water. I’m sensitive to bitterness so I typically do my grandpa style fairly cool. The water at 175 may be a little cool for this one but the...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

Produced by flavouring Jin Xuan Oolong with milk flavourings, which results in an incredible milk fragrance and taste which lasts for multiple infusions.

Sourcing
Sourced direct from Mountain Tea who produce this tea in their Taiwanese tea garden in Nantou.

Tasting Notes:
- Creamy smooth texture
- Incredible milk aroma and taste

Origin: Wushe Garden, Nantou, Taiwan
Harvest: Spring, April 2015
Flavouring: Natural Milk Flavours
Cultivar: TTES #12 Jin Xuan (cross between Ying Zhi Hong Xin and TTES #8)
Oxidation: 15%
Roast: 0%
Altitude: 1500m

About What-Cha View company

Discovery tea box – Tea #8

I hope everyone celebrating has a great Thanksgiving! I had this one a couple days ago. A delicious oolong. Surprisingly I didn’t notice much in the way of a ‘milk’ flavor, whether natural or added. The flavor is light, but I do appreciate when the flavor of an oolong doesn’t get bitey. Not much to say on this one. Dare I say it’s kind of flavorless? Maybe it’s the way I brewed it. It’s a good oolong. But to call it ‘milk’ oolong I would have liked to notice that aspect in the flavor. All three steeps seemed identical in flavor, so at least it is consistent.
Steep #1 // 1 heaping teaspoon // 20 minutes after boiling // 2 minute steep
Steep #2 // 10 minutes after boiling // 2 minute steep
Steep #3 // just boiled // 2 min

I am on my 8th rebrew and it’s still strong. The dry leaf smell is intense and so buttery. I had the other milk oolong What-cha had, and I prefer this one. I know there’s extra flavoring, but it’s so good!!! It’s like buttery spinach in a cup. I taste the butter popcorn others noted. Excellent milk oolong, probably one of the best I’ve had.

Flavors: Butter, Popcorn, Vegetables

The water at 175 may be a little cool for this one but the tea did come out delightfully subtle, predominantly green with a mild butteriness, a little like buttered steamed green beans. If you find this tea too popcorn-y I’d recommend it this way but if you like the strong butteriness I’d go gongfu.

175 °F / 79 °C 5 min, 0 sec 6 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

Here is another tea that I meant to get around to quite some time ago, but just made time for recently. I think I was probably just trying to focus on some of the unflavored teas I had larger amounts of and ended up forgetting about this one, but man, do I wish I had gotten to it a little sooner! This was a very nice milk oolong.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After a brief rinse, I steeped 6 grams of loose tea leaves in a 4 ounce gaiwan filled with 185 F water for 7 seconds. This infusion was chased by 14 subsequent infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, and 7 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, the dry tea leaves emitted pronounced aromas of cream, butter, popcorn, and grass underscored by a faint floral scent. After the rinse, I detected a subtle lilac aroma coupled with more powerful aromas of custard and coconut milk. The first infusion introduced hints of ripe melon, spinach, and honeysuckle to the bouquet. In the mouth, I easily detected gentle notes of cream, butter, custard, popcorn, damp grass, spinach, and coconut milk balanced by subtle traces of fresh flowers. Subsequent infusions introduced a slightly more pronounced lilac presence, as well as emerging impressions of honeysuckle, butterscotch, cantaloupe, honeydew, pineapple, broccoli, daylily shoots, minerals, and bok choy. The later infusions were smooth and silky, offering a subtle mineral presence and lingering hints of cream, butter, coconut milk, popcorn, spinach, broccoli, and daylily shoots.

This was a nice milk oolong. I normally do not enjoy enhanced/flavored Jin Xuans like this, but this one was excellent. It had a wonderful texture, a satisfyingly full body, and a unique, yet approachable mix of aromas and flavors that displayed unexpected longevity. I would have no issue recommending this tea to seasoned oolong drinkers and neophytes alike.

Flavors: Broccoli, Butter, Butterscotch, Cantaloupe, Coconut, Cream, Custard, Floral, Grass, Honeydew, Honeysuckle, Milk, Mineral, Pineapple, Popcorn, Spinach, Vegetal

185 °F / 85 °C 6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

I’m still figuring out whether I like this tea or not. I’m leaning more towards enjoying it, then not enjoying it. When I opened the package it smelled overwhelmingly of movie theater popcorn. While that’s not a bad thing, it was a much stronger smell then I was anticipating. I’m on my first steep now, and it has quite an overpowering taste. I hope that when I steep it again the flavor will itself mellow out. It took me a few minutes to figure out what exactly my first flavor impression was but, I finally put my finger on it, it reminds me of artichokes.

Flavors: Artichoke, Broccoli, Creamy, Popcorn

Butter and floral sweet, honeysuckle if I squint. And then, slight gentle vegetal green, like quickly steamed young bok choy.

Very strong milk aroma and I think therefore it’s missing the complexity. A bit overwhelming for my taste but good to drink on a cold day.

Sipdown (138)!

Finishing off the last of my leaf as a nice big hot mug;

I’m pairing it with some lime infused chocolate because I thought that the sweet, tangy lime with compliment the creamy, buttery and almost coconut like notes of the oolong. You put, putting the lime in the coconut so to speak? The chocolate’s tasty and the tea is definitely tasty but the pairing? Not my brightest idea. The chocolate is too strong compared to the tea and eating/drinking them together is just resulting in the beautiful notes of the tea being totally overpowered/drowned out.

Eventually I just had to stop eating them together, finish the tea and then go back to the chocolate. It just sucks that it took half the mug to finally figure that out.

Daylon R Thomas

Sliced bananas aren’t a bad pair. I’ve actually had a hard time drinking what’s left of mine because the cup has been so thick and buttery-it’s almost fatty.

In terms of taste, I’m not really saying more than what has already been written. Here’s what I can add: this tea has a butterscotch thing going on along with the massive amounts of lilac florals. Maybe plumeria, but that’s my longing talking. It is sweet and buttery, but not as vegetal as other flavored milk oolongs. Maybe cooked spinach comes close, but that’s it. The sweetness and the florals dominate.

The balance between the flavoring and the natural floral qualities this tea has impresses me. What impresses me even more is the considerable complexity it has western. You maybe could brew this gong fu for a flower power sweet buttery oolong, but it might be too light for some. Either way, I wish I had more of it myself especially considering the price.

It actually stacks up against one of my favorite teas which is impressive. It’s not AS thick and sweet like toffee, but the smooth, thick, yet silky body is very welcoming. I would recommend this to someone just getting into tea for sure, and as something to try among more experienced addicts-I mean- drinkers as a decent flavored tea. The very natural florals and tropical coconut milk sweetness would be the appeal- the lightness and high leaf load for gong fu may be a deterrent. I could be wrong. I could also try it myself, but I do not want to squander it.

190 °F / 87 °C 1 min, 0 sec 3 g 6 OZ / 177 ML
Evol Ving Ness

Maybe plumeria, but that’s my longing talking.

Possibly the best tea sentence ever. Ever.

Daylon R Thomas

:) That’s from growing up in Hawaii -cough, cough-I’m navy brat-cough, cough.