Taiwan Four Seasons Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Butter, Floral, Freshly Cut Grass, Peach, Sweet, Cream, Cucumber, Grass, Honeysuckle, Lettuce, Mineral, Narcissus, Orchid, Spinach, Sugarcane, Vanilla, Violet, Smooth
Edit tea info Last updated by Togo

From What-Cha

Four Seasons is the cultivar which thrives best in Ming Jian and produces a smooth oolong with an incredible floral aroma and taste at a very affordable price, making it a great candidate for a daily drinker.

Tasting Notes:
- Smooth texture
- Floral aroma and taste

Harvest: Spring, March 2018

Origin: Ming Jian, Nantou County, Taiwan
Altitude: 350m
Farmer: Mr. Yi
Sourced: Specialist tea ‘finisher’ who buys and processes the tea leaves of local farmers

Cultivar: Si Ji Chun (Four Seaons)
Oxidisation: 15%

- Use 1-2 teaspoons per cup/small teapot
- Brew for 3-4 minutes

Packaging: Non-resealable vacuum-sealed bag packaged in Taiwan

About What-Cha View company

The price of this tea is remarkable. Unfortunately, apart from that and the aroma, there is nothing else worthy of note. The smell is quite nice though – mostly sweet and floral, with hints of peach, freshly cut grass and butter. The taste is very bright and floral, but without much depth. There is no bitterness or astringency, the body is light and the aftertaste is fairly short.

If you want a cheap tea, which nevertheless posseses strong floral aroma, you might like this one. Otherwise, I cannot recommend it.

Flavors: Butter, Floral, Freshly Cut Grass, Peach, Sweet

195 °F / 90 °C 1 min, 15 sec 7 g 6 OZ / 180 ML

I am finally cleaning out the backlog with this one. I had a sample pouch of this tea, and after a very long day at work, I made the time to seriously sit down and evaluate it. I found it to be an enjoyable, easy-drinking oolong that would work well as a daily drinker.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After a quick rinse, I conducted a 7 second infusion with 6 grams of loose tea leaves in a 4 ounce gaiwan filled with 194 F water. This infusion was followed by 12 subsequent infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, and 3 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, the dry tea leaves emitted pleasant aromas of cream, lilac, honeysuckle, and violet. After the rinse, I began to detect emerging scents of butter, magnolia, and sweetgrass. The first infusion brought out touches of orchid and vanilla. In the mouth, I detected mild notes of violet, cream, butter, honeysuckle, and sweetgrass. Subsequent infusions brought out the touches of hyacinth, magnolia, orchid, and vanilla. I also began to catch emerging impressions of minerals, spinach, cucumber, sugarcane, and leaf lettuce. At one point, I thought I even caught a touch of Narcissus. The later infusions were mild, emphasizing notes of minerals, sweetgrass, spinach, lettuce, and butter underscored by faint traces of cream and fresh flowers.

I did not get a ton of complexity out of this oolong, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. It was the sort of tea that was good to knock back after a long day, as it had a nice bouquet and enough flavor to impress, yet it also did not require a ton of analysis. I would recommend this tea to anyone looking for a solid, basic oolong. I could see it going over especially well with those looking to get into Taiwanese oolongs without jumping into the deep end and/or breaking the bank.

Flavors: Butter, Cream, Cucumber, Floral, Grass, Honeysuckle, Lettuce, Mineral, Narcissus, Orchid, Spinach, Sugarcane, Vanilla, Violet

6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

Holy heady florals Batman! I pretty much agree with first review: nothing but strong sweet florals in taste and aroma. Smooth texture, but it is so heady that it is one or two steps away from the strength of a jasmine or magnolia scented tea. There was a sugarcane sweetness, but no honey notes. I was surprised how little spinach this had-more green florals than anything else. This is definitely a good daily drinker, but then again, all the oolongs I’ve ordered have been good quality daily drinkers. I personally prefer a jasmine oolong to this because I think they are sweeter…if that preference makes ANY sense for flower water, but there it is. I won’t make this my daily drinker like I hoped, but it is a Four Seasons that stands a head above quite a few others in the aroma department.

I think I might change my rating scale. There have been teas that I normally would rate higher for quality that I would not buy again and again.

This is one I’ll be ordering again. So pleasant and good for many brews.

This is just a really good priced Taiwanese green oolong which is for sure on the floral side of things. Not too complex but something I would for sure recommend for people who enjoy floral teas, has a taste similar to jasmine. As for me I found it to be a bit too floral and lacking in other things, but I was still able to enjoy it.

Flavors: Floral, Smooth, Sweet