Bergamot Oil, Black Tea
Baked Bread, Bergamot, Citrus, Malt, Citrusy, Cocoa, Anise, Camphor, Chocolate, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Honey, Orange, Wet Wood, Caramel, Peanut, Yams, Fruity, Sweet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

• “This is absolutely delicious, and I think it’s one of the few earl grey teas that I have had. It’s balanced very well. I enjoyed the golden snails on their own, and this is a nice twist. This was...” Read full tasting note
  • “Again, I have to say that Steepster has changed my life. Thanks to this wonderful community, I’ve had the opportunity to enjoy 100x what I would have on my own; through recommendations, swaps,...” Read full tasting note
  • “If Golden Snail and Earl Grey had a baby this is it. True story. It’s the best of both worlds. Baked Bread, Bergamot, Citrus, Malt, Citrusy, Cocoa, Anise, Camphor, Chocolate, Dark Bittersweet,...” Read full tasting note
  • “12:20 am Thursday Indianapolis, IN This tea soothes every fiber of my body. I enjoyed it western style with a tsp of vanilla syrup. Although this tea is good, and the bergamot flavoring is...” Read full tasting note

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Earl Gold is a beautiful example of what happens when classic tea and passion for exceptional balance and quality come together. The goal for this tea was to create an Earl Grey with a high quality gold bud Yunnan black as the base…one that would be designed for gong fu brewing but also hold up to western style with milk and sugar. I started with the well-loved Golden Snail and paired it with pure cold-pressed oil of bergamot before aging for 30 days. The balance of this blend is remarkable, with the base tea shining through and the bergamot ever-present. Every steep of Earl Gold brings forth a new dimension of malt, cocoa, and citrus notes with a strong natural sweetness and incredible heady aroma. I highly recommend enjoying Earl Gold gong fu style to fully experience the beauty of this blend!

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

I enjoyed the golden snails on their own, and this is a nice twist.

This was batch #8. Excellent stuff. I’m very excited to try the wildcrafted dian hong and the wild grey.

Daylon R Thomas

I actually liked both for different reasons.

Again, I have to say that Steepster has changed my life. Thanks to this wonderful community, I’ve had the opportunity to enjoy 100x what I would have on my own; through recommendations, swaps, stash sales, and even gifts. This was one of those swaps :)

I drank this every morning for an entire week at work and found that it does best to brew bold and less than 4 infusions. Taste somewhat like what I would expect sweet bread made with dianhong with citrus splash ontop. Baked bread more than malt which is just fine, but it was a bit surprising. A warm cup in the morning. The one downside to this is that it doesn’t taste all that great when it is either lukewarm or cold; but I think this is true with all earl’d teas.

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 30 sec 2 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

12:20 am Thursday Indianapolis, IN

This tea soothes every fiber of my body.

I enjoyed it western style with a tsp of vanilla syrup.

Although this tea is good, and the bergamot flavoring is definitely a high quality (the smell in the bag is powerful) I believe I like the flavor of the snails themselves better and would have liked this tea more without the essential oil part. Lucky for me Whispering Pines offers Golden Snails in a more traditional style. Along with that, the tea was astringent. The level of astringency wasn’t a deal breaker but it was noticeable and started getting worse after the 2nd or 3rd cup. Next time I will make it gongfu style.

Lastly, I feel like this tea doesn’t have as much stamina as similar teas I have tried. To me, it could have been better in that area. Those are the main reasons why I gave this tea a 79. I think when I try the plain golden snails the score will be closer to 90. :)

195 °F / 90 °C 4 min, 15 sec 3 g 100 OZ / 2957 ML

When you’re tongue begs for a fatty, sugary cookie, but you get a better tea instead. The only ounce of guilt weighs from the price.

Liquid Proust

I drank an ounce of this over a week. I don’’t think it worked very well gongfu versus western; how did you brew it?

Daylon R Thomas

I’ve done it both Western and Gong Fu. I’ve used my 3 ounce Korean tea cup to brew it Gong Fu (it’s a porcelain cup with a lid and porcelain strainer), and I use 2-3 g of it. The first steep is 15 seconds. Y

Ignore the accidental Y.

Liquid Proust

Which way did you like?

Daylon R Thomas

I liked Gong Fu more just out of habit and preference. In terms of taste, Western style is a lot maltier/chocolate orange to me.

Yeah… so this is now by far my favorite Earl Grey style of tea.

Malty Golden Snails meets the citrus of bergamont oil? You wouldn’t think it (or maybe you would) but the match is amazing.

Thanks to Nicole for sending me this sample. Now I have to wait for it to come back in stock!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Bergamot, Citrus, Malt

Nicole/Tea-Historic

While not as malty to my taste, Blue of London by Palais de Thes is an EG with a Yunnan base. Not the same as this, but I like it better than standard EGs.

mtchyg

Thank you for that tip! Off to research :)

Best bergamot scented tea I’ve ever tried! It’s been about 20 years since I’ve bought a flavored tea, and this one is quite good. Although I still prefer my tea straight up (like a fine aged single malt scotch), this will surely be a crowd pleaser this Thanksgiving. I found myself preferring this tea midday with 3 or 4 drops of Agave. Odd, since I rarely sweeten my tea. EG is well balanced, and the cocoa notes in the base are a perfect complement to the citrus. Think citrus flavored dark malt chocolate dusted in cocoa. I won’t rate this one due to my strong preference for pure tea.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Bergamot, Citrusy, Cocoa

Enjoying a cup of this while working on a biology lab report and waiting for a freshly baked loaf of Guinness bread to cool. This tea continues to be one of my absolute favorites! Lately though, I’ve been noticing that most of the cups of tea I make for myself have been just a tad too sweet, even though I almost always use the same amount of sugar. Could this mean that I’m on my way to becoming one of those people who don’t like to sweeten their tea?!? I truly never thought I’d see the day. Maybe I’ll try honey with this one next time I drink it.

My grandparents raised me on the cold hard English Earl Grey. That cooling tea is still one of the very few flavored I enjoy. I saw this tea, and I knew that I needed to give it a try. I still get excited when I discover new Greys. I picked some up with plans to try a little, and then pass it along to my Grandparents to judge. I didn’t even have to open the package to be greeted with the enlightening scent of the Earl. I tore open the package, and my tea room was filled with an intense clean aroma. The crisp scent of citrus and camphor filled the air. I took a sniff at the leaves and took in this pleasantly powerful scent. I noticed a slight underlying malt and baked bread that curbed these intense aromas. I warmed my gaiwan and placed these soft velvety curls inside. The scent deepens to hot fluffy bread with honey drizzled on top. I took in the bittersweet chocolate in the background. Then, I noticed the ever slightest hint of anise creeping forth through the chocolate. This would be a new spin on the typical Earl for me, and I was pretty excited. I sat and enjoyed these scents for quite some time before I washed the leaves and prepared for brewing. Once the hot spring water hit these golden curls the tea completely changed. The tones of the wet leaf changed to a smooth malt and wet wood. The chocolate became dark and drying. The background was misted with a sharp cooling tone. The taste was spectacular. This tea gives the impression of sharp and powerful bergamont tones; however, the actual flavor tells a different story. The fist sip begins with warm and concentrated honey. Then, it moves into a smooth but brief malt and lubricates the mouth. The brew develops in the mouth with light wood tones and a chocolate sweetness. This brew fills the mouth and gives some great feeling. This is a thick and syrupy brew. The smooth body can be felt all the way down to the stomach after sipping. The cooling sensation from the bergamont is slight but it withstands throughout steeping. The nice cooling action is present most in the aftertaste, and it combines well with the heavy malt tones of the snails. The later steeping sessions have a slightly sour tone, but it continues to have some decent mouth action. This was a fantastic re-representation of The Earl. I’m very happy to have tried it. The steeped leaves are intact and long. This makes a perfect companion with the morning breakfast or a late night snack. I will be sending some off to my Grandparents to get their two cents worth.

Flavors: Anise, Baked Bread, Bergamot, Camphor, Chocolate, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Honey, Malt, Orange, Wet Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Nicole/Tea-Historic

Great review. Loved this tea.

keychange

Loved this note!

mrmopar

You have lucky grandparents!

MzPriss

The review is great! But uh oh! You tore open the package!!!!

This morning was a busy one…I was under a lot of stress and had to run around for several hours.

When I got home, the only thing in my mind was…TEA!

If you’re like me, you try to match the right tea for the right moment. Sometimes it takes me forever to decide. Not today. I wanted comfort, and I knew exactly that good old Earl would take care of me.

I say “Good old Earl” but thats not accurate. This Earl is the next generation.

Yes people, TNG Earl!

What makes it so special? Well, first let’s talk about the base tea found in earl grey teas in general. There isn’t much to talk about, right? What I’ve noticed is no one seems to really care…cause…bergamot. What I mean is, if you’re like me, when you need a bergamot fix, you’re not looking for some fancy black tea…you only care for the bergamot cause you know it pretty much overwhelms any kind of base anyways. So why bother right? That’s the impression I get from what’s available on the market. We get some generic black tea and what makes or breaks it is the quality of the bergamot. What I want is an earl grey that will provide a good balance of the bergamot flavor. I don’t want that overly parfumy and soapy taste they sometimes have. Luckily, I found a few brands that made me very happy over the years and just stuck to them.

When I saw Earl Gold, I said…really Brenden? You’re gonna “waste” some snaily yums on bergamot?

And then I tasted it…and said…damn it Brenden, must you succeed at everything?

Apparently, the answer to that is yes!! He truly is a master blender.

I already love Golden Snail a great deal on its own. But I was so sure everything I love about it would vanish under the oppressive bergamot. Turns out they both complement each other perfectly!

Malt, caramel, chocolate and bread? Please meet citrus and candied orange peel.

A very bright, sweet and warming cup of tea with a big kick.

It is suggested to drink it gonfu so I did try. Surprisingly, the bergamot oil doesn’t rinse off on first steep, it actually stays present through the whole session.

But I must admit, my personal brewing preference for earl grey tea will remain mug style. I just want a huge big fat mug of it and hold it and slurp it slowly while I read a good book. That’s what this tea is to me…a hugger :-)

I’m so happy I’ve got four ounces in the cupboard. It will definitely be one of my favorite comfort teas of the winter!

P.S. When you get this tea at home (cause I know you will, you MUST) please don’t skip the “inhaling protocol”. Beleive me, your nostrils will thank you.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Caramel, Chocolate, Citrus, Malt, Orange

Haveteawilltravel

I have some waiting in the cupboard. I can’t wait to set some time aside and enjoy it. It smells amazing!

Just do eeeeeet!!!! ;-)

Can’t wait to see what you think of it!

Haveteawilltravel

Earl Grey is one of the few favorite flavored teas of mine. I’m pretty excited to try it.

MissLena

This sounds amazing. My goodness, I want some EG now!! This one:D

Skulleigh

This sounds like one I might have to break my “No more damn Earl Grey” rule for :D

TeaExplorer

I have that same NMDEG policy Skulleigh, but this one does sound like it’s worth trying.

TheTeaFairy

@missLena, I promise, it’s amazingly good!!

@Skulleigh and @TeaExplorer, lol I have that rule too!!! But this one was worth breaking all the rules for :-)

pixel

Your review is forcing me to try Earl Gold again. Most I’ve tried are bergamot overkill, like you mentioned in your review. I love bergamot, but I love black tea more, so can’t wait to try this.

pixel

Meant to say Earl Grey . . .

TeaExplorer

As I put an ounce in my cart I heard “Make it so!” in my head in that well-know voice :)

TheTeaFairy

@pixel : I feel it’s probably the most balanced earl I’ve had and the only one that truly lets the black tea shine :-)

@TeaExplorer: Haha, what are you talking about, that was MY voice ;-)

pixel

Thanks Tea Fairy. I will definitely include this on my next WP order!

@TheTeaFairy: Huh. That’s not how I pictured you :-þ

TheTeaFairy

@TeaExplorer: Hahaha! Laughing hard here!! I don’t have the voice of Captain Picard, that’s true, but I AM the voice of tea enabling :D
MAKE IT SO!!

TeaExplorer

@TheTeaFairy: You are not only the voice, you’re the poster child :D
And I appreciate that greatly!

TheTeaFairy

Lol, had to Google the meaning of “poster child” (I’m French and some English expressions must looked up at times!) So after finding out what it means, I fully endorse the title, thank you! :D

TeaExplorer

Thank goodness for Google! Your English is so good that I forget it’s not your native language :)

MzPriss

Squeeeeeeees! How much do we LOVE the Earl of Gold?!!!? This review makes my smiley face ENGAGE! Love it!

TheTeaFairy

@mzPriss, We LOVE it!! lol ENGAGE is right, here’s that voice again @TeaExplorer!