Clover Patch

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea
Floral, Mineral, Roasted, Stonefruits, Cream, Flowers, Grapes, Honey, Lychee, Pastries, Resin, Honeysuckle, White Grapes, Butter
Edit tea info Last updated by Lion

From White2Tea

Another Wuyi oolong, meant as an illustration of how different processing and varietals can yield wildly different teas. This tea is from older bushes, but is a modern expression from the same farmer as the DHP teas above. The tea is of a comparatively smaller and more experimental production. We purchased the remainder of this tea from the farmer and and we find it to be a very innovative tea with a fragrance that is knock you on your ass strong. (If you have ever wondered why I say Puer can not compete with the fragrance of oolong, here is your textbook example.) This tea is from early spring 2015.

About White2Tea View company

Tea: Clover Patch. I think LiquidProust sent me this?

Prep: 60cc gaiwan, 3-5g. Flash steep x2, 10s, 10s, 20s, 30s, etc..
Sessions with this tea: 2

Once I accidentally microwaved honey for too long. It turned into burnt carbony sweetness, but still tasted unmistakably of honey, and it filled my kitchen with sweet smell. This is basically that. Early steeps are clean floral honey sweet, later steeps are cooked caramel-y honey sweet. Leaves honey sweet note in my mouth afterwards.

Body: thick tea, not a lot of body or energy-giving to me though. Aroma is good.

Sometimes that’s all that needs to be said :)

Duly noted!

Liquid Proust

It’s not for me, but many others here have enjoyed it. The brew is just dry and twig like and that’s not the oolong I search for or enjoy.

Loving this tea. It’s definitely having me rethink my sheng only drinking habits. It has an intense fragrance that I would expect to find in tea from very old trees, and a much more hefty price tag.

4 g 2 OZ / 60 ML

I don’t have much to add to the notes that are already here except for the fact that no one has mentioned stonefruit, which seems quite obvious to me. I get about 8-10 good steeps with these brewing parameters and start adding more time toward the end to stretch it a bit further. Love this tea every time I drink it.

Flavors: Floral, Mineral, Roasted, Stonefruits

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I’m brewing this tea in a small red clay pot from Taiwan that I’ve dedicated to Wuyi Oolong teas. It is very young in its use still despite the pot is almost as old as me, so there won’t be much altering of the tea’s flavor yet from the pot’s seasoning. The aroma of the wet leaves after the first infusion is perfumed and floral, like the smell of a flower shop. The scent of the tea liquid itself is utterly blissful. It’s difficult to describe, but notes I am getting are of a fresh honeyed pastry like baklava, lush beds of flowers in springtime, warm heavy cream, balsam.

The taste is very floral and smooth. Not as much roast as I was expecting. The leaves are not heavily roasted, but I was expecting to taste a bit more of it. I’m tasting notes of lychee and orchid, also quite perfumey. The second infusion is quite intense with similar flavors to the first, maybe a bit more fruity in this infusion. I’m still thinking lychee in that regard, maybe a hint of grape.

Did I mention how holy the smell of this tea is? I have to admit by my book this is an aromatic tea because I’m more impressed by the aroma than the taste. Both are impressive, but the aroma has more complexity and delicateness. The third infusion tastes more floral than the last and is also a bit tart in the finish. The flavor that lingers in your mouth after drinking this tea is phenomenal.

This tea is up there with my current favorite Wuyi oolong which is Yezi Tea’s Shui Xian Da Hong Pao. It holds its flavor well over many infusions.

Flavors: Cream, Flowers, Grapes, Honey, Lychee, Pastries, Resin

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Everyone should be very excited for my Betta, Jace Beleren…and his Otoclinus companion Sarkhan Vol, and all the invisible shrimp attendants, because they are getting an upgrade! I received my birthday present from Ben’s grandparents early and I am using part of it to get my fishies a better house, like a large part of it…they are getting a new house, new plants (I give up on live plants, they get soft silky ones) new filtration system…they are going to live like kings! I like to spoil my pets, get that tiny bit of maternal instinct I have satisfied with happy pets.

I think I shall make this Oolong week, and we are going to start with something a little unusual. White2Tea’s Clover Patch – Wuyi Oolong, yep it is Yancha time, time to break out the enjoyment of roasted teas, thoughts of campfires and coals…and wait a minute, this tea doesn’t smell like any Yancha I have ever had. Insert maniacal giggling as I realize it is time for an adventure. See, this is a Wuyi Oolong alright, but instead of the old fashion roasting, this is a modern take on it, and maybe I shouldn’t have brewed this in my Yancha teapot, oh well, YOLO. The aroma is best described as a flowery explosion, you open the bag and just go ‘whoa’ but not in a Keanu Reeves manner, more in a ‘I just did an epic game winning move’ way. Notes of honey, lychees, extremely faint pine smoke (like I mean REALLY distant) and the most epic flower aroma ever. Kudzu blossoms! Serious it is like a blend of grapes and pollen, it is heady and super sweet.

Brewing these colorful leaves (shades of late summer and autumn, so pretty!) the aroma of the soggy leaves is intense. I lifted the lid off my pot and it is a perfume blast, kudzu blossoms and honey with delicate notes of mineral and a delicate greenness like crushed leaves. It is so intensely heady, I feel like I could use it as a fainting remedy. The liquid is gentle in comparison to the wet leaves, it is super sweet with notes of lychees, honey, and kudzu flowers, like some sort of exotic fairy wine, if I drink this am I going to get drawn into dancing until I fall exhausted in a different time period? Ah, folklore.

Ok wow, just wow! The texture is buttery smooth, almost slippery and surprisingly cooling for an oolong. The taste, well, that is where the party is…if your party is a massive bouquet of kudzu flowers and lychees drenched in honey. The kudzu lingers, changing into an aftertaste of pollen heavy honey. I think I have turned into a butterfly!

I think I sound like a crackpot because this tea makes me feel like I am transcending reality, that one-two punch of narcotic headiness and nostalgia is making me light in a way that tea drunk only wishes it could make me feel. So yeah, the aroma is not really changed from the first steep, still kudzu and fairy wine sweetness. The mouthfeel is slippery smooth and creamy, it has a thickness to it this time, the taste is so intense, honestly I am not sure I have had a tea with a taste this intense, and that is due largely in part to how aromatic this tea is. It starts kudzu flowers and pollen, then it moves to the heady aroma of jimsonweed, and then onto mineral and a touch of baking bread. The arftertaste of flowers lingers for so long.

By this point in the tasting I have entered into a trance, yep, this stuff is definitely fairy wine, I clearly wandered into a fairy ring on a full moon and got sucked into a mound and I am partying with the sidhe. The only reason I have not gone mad is because I am a changeling or something, all I know is there are flowers and honey, and that I am sinking into them. I got lost in the flowers, eventually this tea does call it quits, but it takes a while…holds up longer than most Yanchas, but the most uncanny part is the aftertaste. It creeps up on you between sips and steeps, starting out as a mild flowery taste but growing into a lingering sweetness, it has you in its grips and refuses to let you free. Seriously, keep this stuff away from mushroom circles, old oaks, willow trees, and maybe avoid drinking it on full moons!

For blog and photos:

I’m glad you clarified the ‘woah’, because as I was reading it I first heard it in Neo’s voice. (“Whoa. Déjà vu.”)

That sounds nice. Going to try it sometime

The texture was a bit rough to me, but aside from that I got almost the same notes as you and really loved it, especially its aroma and long aftertaste. I will have to brew it in a gaiwan next time and make sure my unglazed pot isn’t contributing some mysterious dry quality to the brew.

I LOVE this tea. It’s the dancong of yanchas… which is like two really good things that don’t sound like they’d be great together… but they are. This tea is aromatic during it’s whole life span, but unlike most yanchas I don’t really start enjoying until later steeps cough cough roasty I love this one from the first glass. In fact the first few steeps are my favorite, but I am a fan of the whole journey.

This combines the mineral and fruity flavors of a yancha with the honey floral aroma of a dancong. I never knew yancha could be so overtly aromatic. I’ve honestly never tasted anything quite like this tea.

It’s giving me the yearning for EXCELLENT dancong though… hey maybe now that white 2 tea is based in Guangzhou… here is to hoping for a dancong of this callibre in a club shipment soon.

But yes folks… I’ve never tasted a tea like this before. Get your hands on some! It is really universally appealing and easy to love and would be a great tea to serve to family members and friends to get them coveting some less traditionally served teas in the west.

I haven’t had this tea in a few hours (haha yay tea drunk at home days) so might have to add in some more in depth tasting notes later. But for the 3 times I’ve had this tea so far… I haven’t had a session that wasn’t STELLAR and full of happy tea drunk Phi.

I hope this becomes a yearly offering at white 2 tea! Because I’m sure this stash isn’t going to hold up for long.

Flavors: Flowers, Honey, Honeysuckle, Mineral, White Grapes

10 tsp 5 OZ / 150 ML

So I was going to take a stab at reviewing this tonight, in a measured and thoughtful way, but that sort of went out the window when for whatever reason, Steepster kind of shit the bed (at least for me) and I got all these wacky 404/dashboard? what dashboard?/these-are-not-the-droids-you’re -looking-for error messages. I know, I could have gotten a pen and paper and written down my thoughts, but that would have involved getting up and I was more interested in alternately staring at/smelling/drinking the tea. Which was, as others have said, completely weird. I could taste the roast, and sense the flowers yelling “help us help us” from the fire, and also there was buttered toast. What a long strange trip it’s been. Recommended? I don’t know. I don’t feel qualified to answer that question, even for myself. I should probably go to bed.

Anytime you are typing anything of length in a browser, you should copy it to clipboard/some other application before submitting. I learned this after multiple forum posts lost when my internet drops. :(

This review amused me greatly. :3

I’m having this at work, currently on the third steep of the day. It’s floral and slightly yeasty/bready, but otherwise somewhat inoffensive. I’m amazed at the difference between gongfu and western steeping with this one.

which do you like better? :)

Christina / BooksandTea

Probably the more western brew. The gongfu session was freaky tasting. Much harsher.

OMG what is this oolong sorcery?!?!?! Clover Patch oolong?

This oolong has a potent aftertaste, probably the most potent tea so far. I think the entire block could smell my tea breath. It’s floral, fruity, citrus, buttery, linen, custard and wet leaf. Later infusions the aftertaste is stronger than the tea. I really enjoyed the tea, though I didn’t get many infusions. I would of sold my first born for more if it was more roasty and higher oxidized, but that’s just personal taste.

Full review on Oolong Owl. Review also has the other W2t club teas – Fresh and Aged Dahongpao

I was going to try this one tonight, but I opted for Duck Shhh instead. I think I’ll dive into the Clover Patch tomorrow, from your review it looks like it’ll be a nice Friday night treat!

whoa sounds amazing

Sounds incredible! To the wishlist!

Interesting. I am so glad I brought all the DHP with me to Vegas :P

Did you get the Lin’s roaster at the Expo? Maybe roast your own…;P

I think I could agree with you on the higher roast idea. It might curve off some of the sharp perfumey edges, which are immaculate in the aroma but come through a little harsh at times in the taste. I might try roasting a little bit of this sometime. :)