2016 Last Thoughts

Pu-erh Tea
Camphor, Cotton Candy, Dried Fruit, Herbaceous, Plums, Spices, Stonefruits, Heavy, Spicy, Sweet, Thick, Astringent, Green Melons, Straw, Tart, White Grapes
Bulk
Edit tea info Last updated by Rob

• “Crazy fizzy, tingling mouthfeel where the tongue meets the roof of the mouth, feels like my back bottom jaw is humming. Strong mouth and throat coating, like having rice paper thin gauze coating my...” Read full tasting note
  • “Best smelling dry leaf i’ve ever smelled. Stone fruit stone fruit stone fruit. and gummy bears. Speaking of stones, yeah this tea kinda gets you stoned. It’s an expensive high, but I don’t know any...” Read full tasting note
  • “Super thick and heavy spicy with a slight sweetness and super strong Qi. Images and more at https://puerh.blog/teanotes/2016-last-thoughts-w2t” Read full tasting note
  • “First of all, I don’t think this tea deserves the 94 I’ve given it on taste alone. Of course, this is dynamic through the first 7 infusions before settling in to mildly over-extracted sheng puerh...” Read full tasting note

From White2Tea

A blend of raw Puer material from Yiwu region. When we first made this blend in 2014, we wrote “This tier of tea rarely sees the light of day in the open market,” and we sincerely mean that. Not a blend we would recommend for beginners. The traits that make this tea special are often not apparent to most new Puer drinkers.
We will not be making this exact blend next year.

About White2Tea View company

Crazy fizzy, tingling mouthfeel where the tongue meets the roof of the mouth, feels like my back bottom jaw is humming. Strong mouth and throat coating, like having rice paper thin gauze coating my mouth. Can feel the tea all the way down my throat into my chest and further into my stomach as it penetrates further throughout the session and kind of undulates up and down in an odd sensation. Kind of reminds me of those audio sound jiggly lines as a water droplet slowly stretching and separating from the body of water right before completely splitting from it. Man, did I get tea drunk.

6.66g/100ml ruyao gaiwan @ 207F

Flavors: Camphor, Cotton Candy, Dried Fruit, Herbaceous, Plums, Spices

6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Speaking of stones, yeah this tea kinda gets you stoned. It’s an expensive high, but I don’t know any drugs that taste this good. If anyone does please let me know.

Wet leaf is nice apricoty smell, but not as great as that darn dry leaf smell. Wowza

I don’t really get much mouthfeel from this tea. No throat feel. Or any other of those feels. Little bit of a nice bite to it. in the cheeks. in later steeps.

Flavors: Stonefruits

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
tanluwils

I haven’t had that one yet. I heard only very good things about it. Unfortunately, it was way past my budget for samples!

gongpoo

Yes it is definitely the most expensive sample I’ve ever bought. You can buy some great 357 gram cakes for the price of that 25 gram sample. I bought it for the novelty luxury of trying it. Though I have to say, as far as the White2Tea ‘drinking with your body’ qi teas I’ve tried, which is not very many but nonetheless, I liked Bosch a lot more. That was one of the more amazing feeling teas I’ve ever had. And while it’s super expensive, I was entertaining for a second the distant possibility of buying a cake of it, because I liked it so much. Whereas Last Thoughts I don’t think i would ever spring for. Have you tried Bosch?

tanluwils

I have! I really like the 2016 Bosch. I need one more proper session before I can write a review. I thought I had written one earlier…

Super thick and heavy spicy with a slight sweetness and super strong Qi.
Images and more at https://puerh.blog/teanotes/2016-last-thoughts-w2t

Flavors: Heavy, Spicy, Sweet, Thick

8 g 3 OZ / 80 ML

First of all, I don’t think this tea deserves the 94 I’ve given it on taste alone. Of course, this is dynamic through the first 7 infusions before settling in to mildly over-extracted sheng puerh notes. I’ve done 3g in 60mL and 10g in 150mL, and I’ve found that the tea is fairly forgiving given the lower brewing temperatures that I use (170-195F). I’ve found that at least some of the initial steepings yield a nice thick, brothy, umami, middle tones that are pleasant. However, I think the tea makes up the rest of its price in the effects it has on the body. By the second cup I was already feeling warmth in the face, and through the next few I was giggling and feeling floaty and high. I made the mistake of having two steepings of 3g in 60mL (the 5th and 6th, actually) before going to class, and while I was able to take notes with full clarity, I felt myself having to both force myself to focus a little bit harder, and I had to bite back the giggles. I became self-conscious when I walked to my next class and had to try not to break into a smile during a lecture about 1950’s Stalinist policy. That said, I had one of the best days I’ve had in the last few months due to the fantastic mood I was in all day. I’ve yet to have a personal session of this tea straight through (the 10g in 150mL was with four other people, of course), but this isn’t a tea I feel comfortable merely taking out to brew on a whim due to the price and the psychological effects that need to be planned for.

3 g 2 OZ / 60 ML

Not for beginners (as the man says)
My most intense tea experience so far. I needed a break half way through and this has never happened to me before.

The flavour is very pleasant, mild and sweet. The dry leaves in particular have a very clean fresh fragrance. Hits all the right notes, absolutely nothing in the flavour profile disrupted the enjoyment of this session. Nothing to wash out, nothing to wait until it dies down nothing to bypass or get over.

The interesting (and high-price justifying) aspects of this tea are the effects and body feeling. I know it affects everyone different, but I feel stoned. Actually stoned. Properly stoned. Yes, stoned. Light sweating, numb head, floaty feeling limbs. Whilst this may be groovy, it limits when and where I can enjoy this tea. The term “Daily drinker” has never made more sense to me, because this is the polar opposite. I don’t know how often I could sit down and, well basically, consume drugs.

I want to get a cake though! I’m a big Bob Dylan fan and the fact that the name comes from one of his poems (“Last Thoughts on Woody Guthrie”) and the entire poem is transcribed on the wrapper…… This may just tip me over the edge. Darn you TwoDog and your cool hipster marketing ;)

Definitely get a sample next time you’re ordering. Just for the experience. And set aside a few hours.

UPDATE: I just ordered a full cake.

5 g 2 OZ / 70 ML
mrmopar

Have you figured out the ‘Colbert’ theme yet? Another one of these messages I think.

Rob

A Google search tells me that Holland 1945 is a song by Neutral Milk Hotel. It was used as the outro song for the final show of Stephen Colbert’s “The Colbert Report”

mrmopar

You got it. I think that is the basis for the name on the cake.

Felipe Abarzúa

I love Neutral Milk Hotel :P

Ken

I really need to try this..

Im new to puerh.. but I still really need to try a sample.

pkts

Massive respect for ordering a whole cake !

6g in 100mL teapot

Maybe the fanclub will come at me with pitchforks and torches, but here are my last thoughts on this tea. For a vendor to say “This tier of tea rarely sees the light of day in the open market,” but does not tell you why, instantly begs the question…why? Why not tell us what’s special about this?

The vendor says “Not a blend we would recommend for beginners” nearly compels the drinker to either force themselves to say they like it, or risk being called an amateur if they don’t. Ego aside, I did not enjoy this tea because the good aspects were too fleeting and overall it made me feel uncomfortable, restless, and agitated.

The aroma of the dried leaves was honey and dried ripe apricots. Wet leaves gave a burst of watermelon aromas I wasn’t expecting.

First sip sent a wave of goosebumps opening throughout my chest and then down to my legs, very pleasant. It did not return again. After the 3rd cup, I experienced a really nice cooling sensation rising in my throat, but also did not return again after that moment. As the session progressed I got progressively restless and agitated, with difficulty focusing. Its definitely potent material.

It never really had much flavor. The flavor was clean, clear, nothing off, no burnt, no smoke, no storage. Straw, unripe melon, a tinge of sourness, a hint of tart white grapes. These flavors lingered and lasted and lasted and just never went away. Then the aftertaste turned astringent, then to mushrooms, then to a sensation of mouth coating with no flavor, then it became raw vegetable/melon again, then back to mushrooms, etc. It wasn’t an aftertaste I enjoyed.

Everything was very subtle, and fleeting when it occurred. Its quality material that is well processed, and perhaps this will age into something wonderful. But for the price and my experiences with it, I can’t justify the cost, and there are older teas with more activity available at the same/lower price.

Maybe someone else will appreciate this more than me. Wasn’t what I look for in a tea.

Flavors: Astringent, Green Melons, Straw, Tart, White Grapes