2016 Trap Bird

Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by AllanK
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 oz / 101 ml

From White2Tea

Trap Bird was pressed in 2016.
A fragrance forward tea with a heavy amount of buds and small leaves. The intense aromas of the tea are bolstered by a base of softer medium sized leaf to keep the tea engaging late in the session. Great for everyday ripe Puer on the lighter side.

About White2Tea View company

Sipping away at a Western style mug of this one currently. It’s going to be my last tea of the night; I just wanted something to drink while working on some reviews and Shou actually makes me sort of sleepy so it works as a before bed tea too.

I’m struck by how clean and smooth this one is, with a really thick and almost syrupy seeming mouthfeel. The balance between sweet and umami notes is also really nice; I can see it being even better if you were Gong Fu-ing as well! Main note I pick up on is wood, like cedar/pine. However, other notes are a sort of ‘semi salted’ Earth note, sweet smoke, and raisins/prune. More of those raisin notes in the top of the sip than anywhere else, with the more umami aspects coming out in the finish.

It almost seems like this would be a waste of the tea itself, but I can imagine this making a bomb as fuck soup stock or broth. Toss in like a handful of onions/shallots, some celery, carrot, pinch of brown sugar, and firm cubed tofu and you’d have an awesome dish. If I end up liking the rest of my sample Gong Fu enough to cake this, then I’ll try that out – but if I’m just gonna be working with this sample amount then I’ll leave this as an idea untested…

Mastress Alita

I can’t use the little flavor packets that come with ramen because they contain MSG which is one of my migraine triggers, so I actually use tea as the broth in my ramen and it works very well! I’ll have to put this one on my list. At the moment I’ve been using very lemon-gingery/fennel teas.

Roswell Strange

I like Genmaicha, Houjicha, and Matcha a lot used as broth; fennel sounds like it’d be right up my alley though so I’ll add that one to my list! ;)

Please keep things friendly and .

This Trap Bird Shu Pu-erh by W2T is a wonderfully strange fellow. The scent as the taste are very similar – clean, thick, full mouth feel but not overpowering. Definitely a nice introducing Shu for some new devotee of the dark side ;) – It is really amazing how excellent this Pu-erh was composed. I never experience such a clean harmonious bouquet and such a mellow rounded flavor within a Shu. Within the second infusion those nearly pitch black cups are stunning – I’ve never seen such a deep darkness within a teacup. This isn’t by far the first Shu I enjoyed but definitely the one with the darkest soul. This little demon really seduces your senses with such a fine and elegant creaminess – Taste-wise this fellow seems to be in existence just to please every tasting buds your mouth might offer. Its taste is hard to describe because it is like an overall concept where every part and bit works perfectly together within this symbiosis. Although the texture of the liquor is a very creamy one the feeling within your throat tells a totally and quite dry different story – a really interesting unfolding. Beside this typical Autumn woodsiness there is a distinct bourbon vanilla note noticeable within its nicely crafted profile. BUT this fellow isn’t a Shu for long infinity hours – the strongest parts are definitely the 2nd and the 3rd infusions – it still got a lot of potential until the 6th but then the show is nearly over. Nonetheless this Trap Bird’s whistle will be remembered!

Smmmoooooooth

Definitely a keeper, but too bad the sample is depleted! :/ :)

Please keep things friendly and .

Trap Bird is a good aroma focus shou, daily drinkery, and resteeps well. I had mine air out awhile, then forgotten in a shou pumidor. It smells really funky when I got it last year, and it still has some slight funk in the early infusions.

I got notes of wood, butterscotch and whiskey, though flavor wise is on the light moderate side – most of the flavor is the in smell as you drink it. A good shou if you love aroma.

Full review on Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/2016-trap-bird-shou-puer-white2tea/

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 1 g 0 OZ / 13 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

Had a sample of this one from last Black Friday order. I found it to be a pretty nice shou. It steeps out a little bit quicker than some that I drink, but not as quickly as, say, a gongting shou blend. I did get a slight bitterness when I pushed it, but only slightly greater than most other ripes I’ve tried. In the early steeps, I sometimes picked up a bit of a raisin flavor. For the most part, this one was the sort of woody flavor you might expect from shou. Less sweet, more robust. A good shou, but I don’t think I’ll be caking it.

Flavors: Bitter, Raisins, Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

A funky earthy smell with a touch of brown sugar. Mellow, balanced taste with hints of coffee and wood. A lot of sweetness by the fourth brew.

Please keep things friendly and .

The W2T description for this tea is right on, my sample held no surprises.

If I pushed the steep a slight bitterness crept in, otherwise it was fairly sweet.

The tea soup is dark but clean and left a nice cocoa taste, I think it is a good buy.

Please keep things friendly and .

This is a very nice ripe but not quite spectacular. It is very good though. It started out with basically no bitterness and a lot of fermentation taste. The fermentation was done right on this one and it didn’t taste unpleasant or fishy. There was also a sweet note from the beginning. While this sweet note evolved overtime I really failed to pin them down. It did not seem chocolaty to me but was very dark in the early infusions. In fact it was still so dark in the tenth infusion that it looked like black coffee. While this tea probably won’t win any awards with what is out there it is a good solid tea that is basically lacking in negative notes overall. An excellent daily drinker if there ever was one. While I will not likely buy more of this I did really enjoy it. It was good.

I steeped this twelve times in a 160ml Solid Silver teapot with 13.6g leaf and boiling water. I gave it a 10 second rinse. I steeped it for 5 sec, 5 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, 30 sec, 45 sec, 1 min, 1.5 min, and 2 min. Judging by the color of the tea in the twelfth steep I’d say I could get another four steeps out of this tea. But twelve steeps from a 160ml teapot is a lot of tea.

Flavors: Bitter, Sweet