Pine Sap Lapsang

Butter, Caramel, Cinnamon, Grain, Pine, Smoke
Edit tea info Last updated by jmist

• “I’m not usually a fan of smokey teas but wanted to compare this one to White2Tea’s other lapsang souchongs. The smoke/pine is always present but not overwhelming (for me) like some cheaper smoked...” Read full tasting note
  • “Dry leaf has a strong smell of savory smokeyness. I used 7 gram sample in a 130 ml gaiwan. The tea doesn’t taste smokey at all to me, with a mild pine\ pine sap taste and smell, and a slight...” Read full tasting note
  • “Gongfu Sipdown (1073)! I recently bought a new tea pot so that’s what I used to brew this session. This pot was crafted by a local Quebec artist, Marie-Helene Fleury and it’s absolutely stunning!!...” Read full tasting note

From white2tea

Referred to as both Zhengshan Xiaozhong and Lapsang Souchong, this is a classic black tea from Wuyi in Fujian province.

The character of our Pine Sap Lapsang has well integrated smoke with a savory character. Excellent tea for people who like a bit of smokey character balanced with a complex black tea profile. Perfect for lovers of cigars and peated scotch whisky.

About white2tea View company

The smoke/pine is always present but not overwhelming (for me) like some cheaper smoked lapsangs I’ve had. For me the most interesting part of this tea sits behind the smoke. It actually has a really nice, full and surprisingly sweet aftertaste. It’s rather warming with a thick texture, slight notes of caramel and butter. The smokey bits still aren’t my thing to be honest, but I’m enjoying this tea a lot more than I expected, specifically when brewed gong fu style with a lot of leaf.
It’s not a tea I’ll buy more of but I’m definitely not going to have trouble finishing my sample.

Flavors: Butter, Caramel, Cinnamon, Grain, Pine, Smoke

205 °F / 96 °C

Dry leaf has a strong smell of savory smokeyness. I used 7 gram sample in a 130 ml gaiwan. The tea doesn’t taste smokey at all to me, with a mild pine\ pine sap taste and smell, and a slight sweetness. Overall feels very high quality, it is quite mild but still very good, probably the best lapsang I have tried yet. Got 7 brews overall and didn’t lose most of it’s flavor.

Flavors: Pine, Smoke

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 4 OZ / 130 ML

Gongfu Sipdown (1073)!

I recently bought a new tea pot so that’s what I used to brew this session. This pot was crafted by a local Quebec artist, Marie-Helene Fleury and it’s absolutely stunning!! I ordered on Monday, during the Pugs & Pigs grand opening and it arrived on Wednesday, so quite fast turn around as well!!

This Lapsang is this year’s Pine Sap from W2T – I got a single session sample in the August Tea Club. “Smoked Lapsang” as a general tea type was my #SeptemberSipdown choice for this day’s prompt of a “tea you always have stocked up”, so it was the perfect excuse to break into this sample!

It tastes just like I remember last year’s production tasting, so it’s an excellent session filled with plenty of notes Applewood, hickory BBQ sauce, and – as promised by the name, resinous pine sap!! I personally gravitate to a slightly heavier smoke, but this is excellent! Got a solid five steeps of it. Tonight’s comic is Captain Canuck – which felt appropriate for the local made pottery and pine-y tea!

Photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/CE-SJQKACnp/