[OLD VERSION] Coffee Leaf Tea: Armando's Original Blend

Low
Edit tea info Last updated by MaxR

3 Images

From Wize Monkey

This was our first ever batch of Coffee Leaf Tea and now we have a great new evolution of the product, listed here:

About Wize Monkey View company

Awesome tea !!!

Flavors: Grass, Licorice, Mint

195 °F / 90 °C 4 min, 0 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 300 ML

I love the idea behind this “tea”. Helping the coffee farmers with having a stable year round income is admirable.

The tea itself is unique. The flavor is a cross between a green and black tea. Green grassy notes with a malty flavor that reminds me of a black tea. There is a hint of an herbal tea profile as well. I’ve had a tea before that reminds me of this but I can’t figure out what it was.

Not sure how much I would reach for this tea, but I’m glad I tried it and am excited to try the mint version of it.

Thank you Kittenna for sharing but this isn’t for me. At all. It got dumped. I am grateful for the chance to try something new though so I do appreciate the share. 217.

Woah. So thank you Kittenna for sharing this one. I really, really, like it.

It’s actually making me crazy because I SWEAR I’ve had a tea that had a similar profile but I cannot figure out what it is, and I cannot nail down exactly what this tastes like (sorry) but I do know that I really really like this.

I went with a 3 min steep because I didn’t want to go crazy with it, and the resulting tea is very smooth, and slightly sweet due to the licorice. I feel relaxed drinking it, but not so much that I’m going to nod off. I’m just alert, and relaxed. Not a bad way to start the day!

Oh, and I cheated and looked at other reviews! AwkwardSoul mentioned that it made her think of guayusa and dingdingding that’s the flavour I was trying to find. That’s pretty much exactly what this tastes of – woodsy, honeyed, and smooth.

Thanks for the sample!

haha that’s maybe why i hated it lol

Backlog:

The good news: I didn’t get the sickly feeling that I get when I have coffee when I drank this tea. The bad news: while I liked it OK, I don’t know that I’d call it a tea. A tisane? OK, maybe. But I think it belongs in the category of a coffee product more than it belongs in the category of a tea product.

That said, it is tasty. It reminds me a little of Guayusa only a little more herbaceous. This is more bitter than Guayusa, so if I had to choose between the two, I’d choose Guayusa. I did find that the bitterness subsided a bit as I continued to drink so after the first few sips, this became a much more enjoyable drink.

I am excited to see what kind of flavors they start developing now that they’ve been funded through kickstarter. I think that this product would taste really good as a Chai, or with peppermint and cacao shells.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/11/26/armandos-original-blend-coffee-leaf-tea-from-wize-monkey/

MaxR

Thanks for the review! I should send you our Minty Marvel blend, it’s so refreshing. Please reply and I’ll get some out to you :)

LiberTEAS

Hi Max – I’d love to try it. Let me know if you need my addy or if you still have it

kittenna shared this one with me via the free samples this company was giving away. I’m pretty sure her words were “this one is…weird” lol I’m inclined to agree. while this might work for some, this one doesn’t work for me. The smell is all wrong for me – i didn’t brew it in the paper but it still has a bleachy, musty weird smell to me. Initial sips are a taste that also doesn’t jive with what i’m looking for in a tea.

I appreciate the share, and i’m glad some folks are enjoying this one, but it’s just not for me!

boychik

I have a sample and afraid to try

it’s not pour down the sink bad..but the couple sips were more than enough for me

The smell of this coffee leaf tea is pungently herbal, so I was expecting something pretty bushy tasting or maybe like coffee.

Turns out AOB Coffee Leaf Tea tastes really smooth. Has a malty, 5 steeps in black tea flavor, with a grassy, herbal and hay spike, all over a honey and licorice sweetness. It is pretty unique tasting and reminds me a little like guayusa but not as grassy as yaupon.

Full review on my blog, The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/coffee-leaf-tea-from-wize-monkey/

MaxR

Thanks for the review! Much appreciated and your photos are great :)

Thanks to Max for sending a free sample of this tea! I haven’t previously tried a coffee leaf tea, so have no real expectations (except a hope that it doesn’t taste like coffee, haha.)

Upon opening the packet, I can detect a very herbally sort of aroma… very similar to guayusa, so kind of grassy (not too green, though), and a bit sweet/hay-ish. I opted to brew the tea in a filter basket instead of the provided paper filter, so poured it in (the tea was small fragments and dust, for the most part), and brewed with boiling water for about 4 minutes. The result tastes and smells exactly like guayusa to me. It’s pretty smooth (though there’s a touch of bitterness as it cools), but tastes very herbal. I can’t say that I understand any of the associations to black tea, though I suppose it would be most like the types I’m not fond of (ceylon? yunnan? The ones without the chocolate/raisiny goodness.) Anyhow, I’m not a fan of guayusa, unfortunately, so I’m not really a fan of this tea.

MaxR

Hmm, it’s too bad you didn’t enjoy our infusion. I guess it just isn’t your cup of tea, so to speak :)

Thanks for reviewing!
Max

Kittenna

I really wanted to like it, but it was just too herbally for me. There are a lot of people who really enjoy guayusa though, and I think they’d quite enjoy this :)

Thanks again Max for the generous samples of this unique product!

I also used my brew basket like SoggyEnderman, and actually still avoided bits in my cup mostly! The brew smells very much like black tea actually, perhaps with a more vegetal quality that black tea usually does not possess. It has the malty scent of a hearty assam but mixed with the earthy scent of sheng puer. I’m excited to taste!

Okay, so sipping now. The leafy taste of it being an herbal is immediately present, but there are interesting similarities in its flavor with black tea. There is a definite note of licorice. No bitterness or astringency on my end. The malt scent is not met with a matching flavor. The earthy, vegetal scent is however. It is bold enough to not feel like a full herbal though, you could probably pass this for a mild assam!

I usually don’t drink herbals, but this has a very smooth, unflavored taste to it that makes me enjoy it very much. Definitely worth a try, and a very cool product to support!

Flavors: Earth, Licorice, Vegetal

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
MaxR

Thanks John, really appreciate the review :)

PresMarkle

Josh ;)
No problem, thanks for the opportunity! Good luck with the kickstarter!

I received this sample to review this interesting “new-old” invention! Let us sip!

Since the sample was already bagged, I had to do Western style on it. Not sure how the gongfu style would have turned out, but it might have been good, who knows, this tea disappeared quickly from my cupboard. :-)

As I sip down the last few millilitres, I can taste something I have not tasted for so long! It’s coffee! Oh my gosh, it was so great. Honestly, I enjoyed every single sip of this tea! Now, if we are going back in the time the first few sips were a bit earthy and maybe with a reminiscent of matcha-type grassyness. When you begin to brew this tea the color of the tea is light yellow, but once it steeps for like 3 minutes it becomes dark-orange. It’s not something small like you would expect from black teas, it’s totally big.

Bottom line: An interesting and tasty new-old invention, that I would definitely recommend to anyone!

(What’s worth to mention is that as soon as I poured the water over the bag, a LOT of small bits went straight out of the bag. Whoopsie! :) )

Photos will be available really soon!

Flavors: Coffee, Earth, Grass

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 4 g 10 OZ / 300 ML
MaxR

Thanks Levente! With our Kickstarter funds, we’ll be able to mill and package the tea in a better fashion, which would solve the tea bits problem :P

Cheers!