2004 Yang Qing Hao "Te Ji Pin" Raw

Pu-erh Tea
Heavy, Leather, Smooth, Sweet, Thick, Wood, Dust, Smoke, Campfire, Camphor, Dates, Medicinal, Mushrooms, Tobacco, Dark Wood, Drying, Menthol
Edit tea info Last updated by DigniTea

2 Images

• “Extremely smooth, balanced, warm and thick. Lethery notes in the first steeps with becomes increasingly sweet. Very relaxing Qi. Images and more at https://puerh.blog/teanotes/2004-tejipin-yqh” Read full tasting note
  • “Got in on a split of this a couple months back. The bit I received isn’t particularly compressed, and after a rest and sniffing several times since then, I don’t get too much of a scent off the...” Read full tasting note
  • “So. Tea. Drunk. HYPER!!! This tea is nicely mellow and smoky, smooth camphor feel on the swallow, good aged orange color and taste. Very easy to brew, friendly in taste, no real bitterness or...” Read full tasting note
  • “Dry leaves smell of a minty camphor and autumn leaves. Really interesting, unique and wonderful smell. The wet leaves lose some of the mintiness, but the smell of camphor and autumn leaves remain...” Read full tasting note

From Yang Qing Hao

2004 Yang Qing Hao “Te Ji Pin” Raw 500g
100% single origin YiWu gushu.
YQH was started by Taiwanese pu-erh collector, Yan Shi-Nan. Mr Yan has collected and studied pu-erhs since the 1980’s. His dissatisfaction with modern “pu-erh making” led him to work to revive the pre-60’s pu-erhs premium quality and tradition. His teas are now highly regarded and considered a premium boutique brand.

About Yang Qing Hao View company

Images and more at https://puerh.blog/teanotes/2004-tejipin-yqh

Flavors: Heavy, Leather, Smooth, Sweet, Thick, Wood

10 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Got in on a split of this a couple months back. The bit I received isn’t particularly compressed, and after a rest and sniffing several times since then, I don’t get too much of a scent off the dry leaf. Once wet, however, the leaves give off a smoky aroma with a light sweetness.

This tea steeps out to a golden color and—again, since I had nowhere for wash water (and this tea is one of the pricier ones I’ve tried)—I drank the wash. There wasn’t much flavor there but it didn’t give a distinct huigan, smoothness and a light hint of dustiness.

This ended up being a very easy to drink tea for me, with a flavor profile that remained fairly consistent. I didn’t get much qi from it, but I will look forward to exploring this one further, for sure!

Flavors: Dust, Smoke, Sweet

7 g

So. Tea. Drunk. HYPER!!! This tea is nicely mellow and smoky, smooth camphor feel on the swallow, good aged orange color and taste. Very easy to brew, friendly in taste, no real bitterness or astringency really to speak of. The qi on this though has got me buzzing around on epileptic party parrots while laughing hysterically and waving my arms around like the party degenerate that just don’t care because it’s 19NINETY NIIIIIINE!!!!

I’d characterize it like weed brownies, you don’t eat it for the taste, but it’s not like the brownie taste is getting in the way, ya get my drift? And now I need to go. Go zoom around my house and jump off walls and such. yeah. Thanks for sample, phiiii!

Flavors: Campfire, Camphor, Dates, Medicinal, Mushrooms, Smoke, Sweet

Boiling 8 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Dry leaves smell of a minty camphor and autumn leaves. Really interesting, unique and wonderful smell. The wet leaves lose some of the mintiness, but the smell of camphor and autumn leaves remain and there’s and added note of sweet tobacco and prunes. If this teas is as good as it smells this should be a lovely experience. I have a new digital scale so now I can be more actuate when measuring how much tea I use in each pot.
10s rinse/10m rest.

Steep/Time: Notes
1/15s: The taste of autumn leaves is most prominitent to me, but as usual the first pot is quite light. Very soft finish (not particulary crisp/dry). I am picking up a slight camphorous note.

2/10s: Camphorus, woody with a touch of sweetness. Still has a soft finish. So far good, but not really impressive.

3/10s: Woody with that light touch of sweetness. Finish is a little more crisp. The camphorus note is light and detected in the aftertaste more than anything else. The flavor profile definitely reminds me of shou puerh.

4/15s: About the same, but a mildly bitter note also apparent in this cup.

5/15s: A little more sweetness this time around. Still woody and pleasant.

6/20s: Drier finish. I like it. Sweetness about the same as the last steeping.

7/30s: Good tea, but I don’t think this is one I’ll buy more of. Maybe I just needed more leaf in the pot with this one.

Flavors: Camphor, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 7 OZ / 200 ML

Thank You Boychik for this sample. This was one good tea. easily the best of the Yangqinghao teas I have tried. There were some notes of tobacco early one, for about the first two steep. Then it was nice and smooth. With a subdued sweetness to it that I don’t know how to properly describe. The tea soup had a fairly dark color but perhaps a little less dark than some of the other Yangqinghao teas I’ve tried. This tea had a strong qi. There was an energizing qi to it. I can’t say that I became tea drunk but am really feeling it after sixteen steeps. The tea was not finished at sixteen either. I will save the leaves for later or tomorrow and hopefully get back to them. Now I want to try the tea I bought from Hawaii. That was even more expensive than this if you can believe it but I only bought 18g of it.

I steeped this tea sixteen times in a 50 ml gaiwan with 3.6g leaf and boiling water. I gave it a 10 second rinse and a 10 minute rest. I steeped it for 5 sec, 5 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, 30 sec, 45 sec, 1 min, 1.5 min, 2 min, 2.5 min, 3 min, 3.5 min, and 4 min. I think that this tea would go another ten steeps or so with longer infusion times.

Flavors: Smooth, Sweet, Tobacco

Boiling 3 g 2 OZ / 50 ML
boychik

imglad you like it Allan

I decided to bust this out from storage for the after Thanksgiving celebration. The dry cake has some massive dark leaves. They carry a dry camphor and pipe tobacco. I placed a good sized chunk in my warmed Jianshui and gave it a shake. The pipe tobacco scent deepened and notes of pine resin and wet wood came up. I washed the leaves once and prepared for brewing. The steeped leaves gave off a whiskey, menthol, dark wood, and pipe tobacco scent. The liquor was a deep dark bronze. The taste was fantastic! This is a beautiful tea. The leaves are massive and whole and yield a delicious brew. The flavor is very slight and tasteful. The prominent notes of pipe tobacco, leather, and an underlying sweetness follow the drinker throughout the entire session. The leaves are unbelievably durable! I was able to pull over fifteen long steeping sessions. The taste is not a full heavy body, but its light, airy, and smooth. The best part about this brew is the qi. It is so good! The qi begins quickly within the first couple steeps. The feeling begins with a warming body and a nice head buzz. This feeling follows throughout the entire body and gets you zinging. My eyes blurred, and I became very talkative. This brew makes my body and mind feel really good and happy. I loved the feeling I received from this incredible session. I didn’t notice any huigan and zero astringency. This would make a perfect tea to serve to guests and get a gathering talking. I really like this, and I will definitely be sharing some with my guests.

Flavors: Camphor, Dark Wood, Drying, Leather, Menthol, Sweet, Tobacco

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
mrmopar

And what time is dinner?

Haveteawilltravel

hahah 7:00 sharp ;)

This is a very good tea and an excellent example of YQH quality productions. It is an authentic single origin Yiwu gushu. This is the first of the 2004 season’s premium Yiwu harvest – a Pre-Qing Ming or Yu Qian tea. Nice whole leaves. Fair amount with stems attached to one or two whole leaves. Sweet, smooth and silky with a very balanced taste and no astringency detected at all. It is worth noting that there is a blend of tobacco and old leather sweetness throughout the session (albeit more dominant in the early sessions). Definite sense of chaqi hitting by the 3rd cup. Overall this tea yields a more delicate, light tasting soup (i.e., not thick) – very appealing and enjoyable to me but not a complex heavyweight. Since the tea is on the lighter side, you can push it without fear. On one steeping, I intentionally used half the water and it still produced a delicious cup which was definitely thicker than the previous cups. A final comment on the tea’s longevity – this is an impressively durable tea. I’ve steeped it 10 times now (during 2 sessions) and the leaves are not yet fully open and my longest steep time has been 15 seconds. These leaves have much to offer!

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
jschergen

Late commenting on this, but I’ve had three sessions of this tea in the past couple weeks. Your review sums it up very well. It’s lighter than the Dingji and Chawangshu but I find myself liking it even more than those heavy-hitters. Really phenomenal tea and I think it stands above most of Yang’s catalog. Just top of the line Yiwu… mmmm.