2014 Autumn Bing Dao Raw Pu-Erh

Pu-erh Tea
Creamy, Apricot, Stonefruits, Sweet, White Grapes, Cream, Earth, Flowers, Honey, Smoke
Edit tea info Last updated by KittyLovesTea
Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 8 g 56 oz / 1654 ml

• “My first alleged Bing Dao tea from Mr Wilson. I must always thank him for keeping these leaves in good form while in their sample pack. Leaf breakage DOES impact taste. The first few steeps provide...” Read full tasting note
  • “2016-09-11 2014 Autumn Bing Dao Raw – ??g in 500mL at 212C I didn’t have my morning tea before heading to the Dharma Hall for meditation so I decided to put a few leaves in to a 0.5L thermos and...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea was nothing short of phenomenal. It did not start bitter. It started out with the note of dry white grapes, without the intense sweetness of grapes of course. Not sure how long this note...” Read full tasting note
  • “The leaves are dark brown with some green tinges and lots of silver tips and some brown/red sticks/stems present. For the most part they are long and look whole though thin, tightly wrapped and...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

Our second production from Bing Dao village. We have produced other teas from neighboring villages but last Autumn we met a grower that had excellent tea from wild and natural tea garden in Bing Dao village. We are back again with his lovely tea!

The tea is from 100-200 year old tea trees growing naturally and no pesticides or artificial fertilizers are used. As with all our Autumn 2013 and onward productions they have been tested in a lab for pesticide residues. This is a pure tea both in material and taste.

The brewed tea is highly aromatic and cooling in the mouth and throat. There is a thickness to it and a bitterness that immediately transforms in nectar-like sweetness. Cha Qi is strong but pleasant and energizing.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

The first few steeps provide clear indicators of the tea’s alleged origins. It’s thick in the mouth and clear pale gold in the cup. It has good depth, penetrating cooling, sweet hay, bittersweet, sharp florals, sencha, white pine resin, green apple, chardonnay grape skins, pine wood, and a strong mouthfeel.

Serious huigan. Lingering sharp floral and white grape skin notes leave a slight drying in the mouth followed by a salivating effect. Mid steeps get thicker and the bitterness of wild herbs comes to the fore with more intense huigan. After the 9th steep or so, the tea becomes a lot more floral buttery. The sweet grassy aromas become wild flower fragrance and is very present in the empty cup. This is my kind of tea. I think I found a Nan Po Zhai replacement, as it shares many similarities.

The sample is bit dried out, but not overly so and I know my tupperware bin storage will remedy that within a couple of weeks or so.

2016-09-11
2014 Autumn Bing Dao Raw – ??g in 500mL at 212C

I didn’t have my morning tea before heading to the Dharma Hall for meditation so I decided to put a few leaves in to a 0.5L thermos and bring along a single teacup to sip during the Dharma talk. I was worried that’d maybe I’d put too much leaf and the tea would prove bitter and/or astringent. I couldn’t have been more wrong! Sooooooo effing good! Every last cup! Just enough astringency to make each cup crisps. Sweet and fruity, sort of persimmon like in that the sweetness wasn’t over powering yet had a honey/date like finish, and ever sip you’re just glowing like, sip “Oh that’s good”, sip “Oh so good”, sip “mmmm good”… It’s a 15-20 minute drive to the dharma hall so I have to experiment with this one a bit. Really wish I’d weighed the leaves before hand to know the ratio. I think what’s so amazing is that the treasures that you find and enjoy in the early steeps and in the later steeps are all there in a single cup! Creamy, sweet astringency, fruitiness and just a enough of a hint of bitterness to add delicious complexity. I love that you can fall in love with tea all over again on any given day. This was awesome!

Boiling 8 min or more 17 OZ / 500 ML

This tea was nothing short of phenomenal. It did not start bitter. It started out with the note of dry white grapes, without the intense sweetness of grapes of course. Not sure how long this note lasted. But it developed into the most widely used notes for young sheng, apricots and stonefruits. I don’t know if this is typical of Bing Dao tea or not. I have little experience with Bing Dao teas. This is the first one I’ve drank that I feel I can confirm is from the Bing Dao area. It is a region where a great many teas not from there claim to be from there. Coming from Yunnan Sourcing I believe this is genuine Bing Dao tea. Whether or not this tea is typical of Bing Dao teas it is the best raw puerh I have drank in some time. I very much recommend this tea. It is not one of Scott’s cheaper teas but it was not too expensive at $71. Moderately expensive I would say. But not expensive for a tea that is this good. This has got to be the smoothest raw puerh I can remember drinking for that matter. There was never a hint of bitterness in this. This is one where I wonder how it will age. I have heard that bitter teas age better so this may be one to drink now, who knows. It was good.

I steeped this twelve times in a 100ml teapot with 7.1g leaf and boiling water. I gave it a 10 second rinse. I steeped it for 5 sec, 5 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, 30 sec, 45 sec, 1 min, 1.5 min, and 2 min. The tea was not done but I have reached my caffeine limit. If I didn’t have so much other sheng I would buy a tong of this tea. It is that good.

Flavors: Apricot, Stonefruits, Sweet, White Grapes

Boiling 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Rui A.

Ayo, ayo off to the shop I go! (Just do not tell my wife) ;-)

AllanK

This one was worth the price. It was $71 at the US site. Don’t know what they get at the China site.

curlygc

Dammit Allan, stop making me want more tea!

mrmopar

$69.00 on the China site.

tanluwils

I got very different notes, but will agree with you that it’s very smooth and definitely worth the price. At this point, I’m thinking “I don’t care where it’s from…just give me that f***ing tea!” lol

The leaves are dark brown with some green tinges and lots of silver tips and some brown/red sticks/stems present. For the most part they are long and look whole though thin, tightly wrapped and with a high shine. They have a creamy earthen scent with elements of toasted hay, lightly smoked wood and flowers.

Steeping Method: Yixing Teapot 100ml
Leaf: 7g
Water: Boiling
Pre rinse – This was rinsed twice for 20 seconds each time

First Steep – 30 seconds

Colour is yellow with a gentle, creamy yet earthy scent. Flavour is soft and sweet with a creamy after taste. Some bitterness but it transfuses into sweet honey and floral peony like tones.

Second Steep – 40 seconds

Less bitter than the first steep though it is still present. Still plenty of sweet and creamy tones with some added soft smoke and damp wood and hay.

Third Steep – 45 seconds

No bitterness at all which makes it sweet and creamy. Heavenly! It coats the inside of my mouth and lingers in the after taste. Honey, honeysuckle, cream and gentle musk.

Fourth Steep – 55 seconds

Another beautiful steep, the flavour is perfect at this stage. So creamy and sweet but with depth and flavour. The bitterness has returned albeit subtle and short lasting.

Fifth Steep – 1 minute

Now the flavour is starting to reduce in strength. The creaminess dominates though it is not as sweet as the previous steeps. Also little to no bitterness is left, just the cream and a gentle floral after taste.

Sixth Steep – 1 minute 20 seconds

Slowly reduced though still creamy and pleasing. Still no bitterness to speak of, instead it’s very smooth and easy to drink. No smoke or earthy tones remain.

Seventh Steep – 2 minutes

Even lighter though still enough flavour to be pleasing. Cream and flowers is all that remains.

Eighth Steep – 3 minutes

This is certainly the final steep. Though there is still some soft cream notes there is nothing else present.

This was a very beautiful Sheng, with dominant cream tones, soft astringency and a delicate balance of flowers and earth.

Flavors: Cream, Earth, Flowers, Honey, Smoke

Boiling 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Christopher F.

That sounds nice, I was just thinking about placing a YS order, you may have well made up my mind on what to buy.

KittyLovesTea

I must say this truly was a delightful tea, honestly nicer than I expected. The price is rather reasonable as well! If you do go ahead and try this one I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :)

Kirkoneill1988