2015 Yunnan Sourcing "Yang Luo Han" Ripe

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Dark Bittersweet, Orange Zest, Pepper, Thick, Autumn Leaf Pile, Cherry, Coffee, Dark Chocolate, Pleasantly Sour, Plums, Red Wine, Sugarcane, Sweet, Bark, Jam, Medicinal, Nuts, Orange, Popcorn, Smooth, Creamy, Earth, Mineral, Pumpkin, Raisins, Bitter, Cocoa, Fruity
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaExplorer
Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 8 g 4 oz / 120 ml

• “The dry leaf was fishy smelling so I gave it a good 20s rinse and the fish disappeared, woot. The rinsed leaf smelled like bitter dark chocolate, baked bread, autumn leaf and buttered nuts. All...” Read full tasting note
  • “I will say within the first sip of this I could tell that I wasn’t the intended target audience for this tea. Unfortuntely, I must have read the description wrong as YS was very accurate in...” Read full tasting note
  • “An extremely smooth and somewhat delicate tea. Rather than being complex or anything, it is just so delicuous – a pure joy to drink. In this particular session I noticed some new aromas of popcorn...” Read full tasting note
  • “Here’s Hoping Teabox – Round Seven- Tea #14 Mmmmm… this is one of my ideal ripe pu-erhs. Yum. The flavor is all bittersweet/ dark chocolate. I’d love to see a smoky version of this pu-erh. Or...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

This is a blend of premium wild arbor and old plantation fermented “ripe” pu-erh tea. We laboriously blended high quality ripe from different fermentation batches to achieve a taste that was both strong and sweet/soft at the same time. “Yang Luo Han” means “Goat or Ram Arhat”. An Arhat is a “perfected being”, one that has achieved Nirvana and is in balance with everything in the universe.

The tea is balanced with a strong/bitter up front taste and a sweet/soft/thick taste as an underlying theme. The leaves are lightly fermented, giving it some of the strength of raw pu-erh tea. Perfect choice for longer term aging, though enjoyable now for the more adventurous!

357 grams per cake, 7 cakes per bamboo leaf tong

Only 500 cakes in total!

This tea has been tested in a certified laboratory and has passed the MRL limits for pesticide residues as established by the EU Food and Safety commission.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

The dry leaf was fishy smelling so I gave it a good 20s rinse and the fish disappeared, woot. The rinsed leaf smelled like bitter dark chocolate, baked bread, autumn leaf and buttered nuts. All but the butter came through in the thick brew along with an addition of a flat sourness like tart cherry and sour orange. Highly mineral like wet river rocks, leaving my tongue dancing. Pleasant sour aftertaste. The flavor turned very nutty toward the end and a strong returning sugarcane sweetness appeared. I didn’t get any actual sweet taste like other reviewers. Mostly savory, rich, mineral, sour and slightly bitter.

My mind was elsewhere when I drank this, so I ended up oversteeping it several times but it was smooth every time. This makes me think it would be great grandpa style as long as you rinse it first! I think this Yang Luo Han would be a good conversion shou for coffee drinkers.

Thanks for the sample Togo :)

(6g, 100mL, 212F, 20s rinse, 7 steeps at 30/70/40/55s and 4/4/20m)

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Unfortuntely, I must have read the description wrong as YS was very accurate in describing it now that I am rereading it.

The tea itself is obviously good quality: it brews many steeps, and is nice and viscous in the mouth. Be very careful not to over steep this tea if you are going western style; I did a 20 second wash and followed with a 30 second gongfu at 200-205F and it was already very dark at that point.

If you enjoy bittersweet chocolate or dark chocolate 85% and higher or if you have semi-developed palate then this tea is for you.

It has very consistent bitter notes, not something I enjoy in tea, with some slight orange notes and light pepper taste. Overall, bittersweet chocolate is a good way to describe this tea.

It is very strong, dark and of a thick consistency. It was not an easy drinker for me, and it felt like the tea version of biting into high quality chocolate. I ended up drinking the 5th steep with a high fruit/hazelnut (sugary) breakfast and it kind of sat in the background and brought out the nuts; it was very nice taken that way but probably not what it was designed for. I’ll most likely just drink alongside food after this review.

There is a nice, slight tingling sensation that occurs in the mouth area. It does leave a lingering, chocolate aftertaste though; which I can admit was pleasant.

In my own personal book this tea would be about a 65 as it’s going to be a hard drinker for me and the cost was rather high; however, it is my fault for not reading the description properly and the tea obviously clocks in at a higher rating based on the factors I mention above.

This is probably obvious but don’t get this tea if you do not care for bittersweet
chocolate (cooking chocolate).

Flavors: Dark Bittersweet, Orange Zest, Pepper, Thick

tea-sipper

I love this one. I almost drank it today…

An extremely smooth and somewhat delicate tea. Rather than being complex or anything, it is just so delicuous – a pure joy to drink. In this particular session I noticed some new aromas of popcorn and preserved orange. On top of that, there were also medicinal and brazil nut flavours that I didn’t pick up before.

Flavors: Bark, Jam, Medicinal, Nuts, Orange, Popcorn, Smooth

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Kawaii433

Looking forward to this. Mine is on it’s way. :D

Here’s Hoping Teabox – Round Seven- Tea #14
Mmmmm… this is one of my ideal ripe pu-erhs. Yum. The flavor is all bittersweet/ dark chocolate. I’d love to see a smoky version of this pu-erh. Or some sort of smokey dark chocolate tasting ripe pu-erh. I love the dusty dusky swirls of pu-erh when I reach the bottom of the mug. The leaves themselves have hints of gold while being mostly dark. Just nothing to say but a quality pu-erh that I happen to really enjoy. Also, this isn’t a pu-erh that increases my appetite which is always a pu-erh plus. And look at that goat drinking tea!
Steep #1 // rinse // 10 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #2 // few minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #3 // just boiled // 3-4 minute steep

Inkay

One of my favorites.

Having a session with mom and the SO. Both of their first time trying this one.

First steep has a strong cocoa flavor for me. Second steep does, as well, along with some hints of coffee. Funny, the SO says it tastes like mineral water, she’s mad that it tastes like no other puerh she’s had so far. Mom is picking up on a bit of coffee but doesn’t have much more to say. Both of them are feeling the qi, though, as am I.

SO doesn’t really like the taste, but mom likes it for the qi, as this is her first time feeling it. It’s got us all nice and relaxed, so I have no complaints.

Flavors: Coffee, Creamy, Dark Chocolate, Mineral, Smooth, Sweet

5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
twinofmunin

I enjoy that you record notes from others with you. :)

Brewed in my new porcelain Jingdezhen gaiwan. Water is just off the boil throughout. 7th steeps onward shared with my wife.

After a wash, the wet leaves have a distinctive banana-leaf aroma.

1st – 7th steeps (flash, slowly ramping up to 10 seconds): Seal brown liquid with burnt umber and auburn highlights. Aroma suggests shiitake, ginseng, and banana leaf. Earth, chalk, and hints of chocolate on the palate with the latter hanging on into the finish where it is joined by a hint of stale tobacco and wet stones. The fermentation lends the cup a gentle vegetal/herbaceous quality, suggesting Chinese medicine. No bitterness…nice, medium-full body.

8th – 14th steeps (10 sec, slowly ramping up to 30 sec): Color gradually lightens from chocolate to burnt umber to chestnut – aromatics and flavor remain consistent throughout. Body is lighter.

15th – 20th steeps (30 sec, ramping up to 2+ min): Tea slowly grows paler and loses potency in both aromatics and flavor, although the character of both remain coherent. Some hints of Hawaiian dinner rolls in the finish. Body is lighter yet.

This tea is decent on its own, but works better as a foil to food – in this morning’s case, deftly framing the sweetness of a Pink’s Crisp apple and some quality farmer’s cheese.

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 4 OZ / 125 ML

Brews a deep deep red. There’s a fair amount of fermentation flavor left, enough that I felt the need to give four rinses. But this tea definitely has it’s redeeming qualities. It’s very thick and creamy, almost buttery except that it’s more sweet than savory. There’s a strong and definite chocolate note, almost like drinking dark chocolate hot cocoa. This is a lower fermentation shou, and it has just a hint of a vegetal pumpkin flavor. Later steeps hint at raisin and ginseng. Overall a nice tea that should get much better with age.

Flavors: Creamy, Dark Chocolate, Earth, Mineral, Pumpkin, Raisins

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 5 OZ / 150 ML
tanluwils

Very interesting notes!

I got a cake of this in July and it’s already more than 2/3 gone! If I’m honest I bought it because I like the goat on the wrapper..but I wasn’t dissapointed!

I think this tea may have changed a bit since I got it because I broke the cake up and put it in a earthware jar to air out.

While there is still a bit of the fermentation flavor, the dark chocolate flavour and creamyness of this tea overpowers it pretty easily (and I hardly notice it anymore). A good candidate for gong fu or grandpa style although I find it doesn’t stay strong enough for very long as grandpa style. A very easy to drink quality shou.

Flavors: Creamy, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate

8 g 4 OZ / 125 ML

I found this to be a very tasty tea, one of the best house ripes I have tried from Yunnan Sourcing. It is a blend of gushu and plantation material. Despite their saying that this tea is ‘lightly’ fermented, I found it to be quite dark and deep, with just a touch of fermentation funk. It is quite delicious – notes of earthy cocoa, some sweetness, bread dough in later steeps, and only a touch of bitterness. The best flavors did dissipate after the first couple of steeps, but it was still quite good after that. I think this is a great tea and a good candidate for aging.

sirturtletheknight

Well said. I have to say I agree that the first 3 or 4 steeps are the best for this one..yet I’m still considering getting a tong of it!

Rich

Have you tried the Green Miracle? That is another one I really like.

sirturtletheknight

Yeah I got a sample of it when it was in the YS tea of the month club and then got a cake of it. That’s another candidate for getting a tong..not sure which one would be better since they’re both quite nice and the Yang Luo Han is a bit cheaper. So hard to decide!

This is a very tasty ripe with a good amount of fermentation taste. It was a clean taste though. I didn’t get any fishy notes. There was some bitterness to this tea and a lot of sweetness. The bitterness steeped out after a few steeps and I was left with a nice sweet puerh. There were a variety of notes I would venture to say cocoa or chocolate, but somewhat bitter. I would say it developed a fruity note in later steeps. This is definitely a ripe puerh I would buy again if I was short on tea, not that there’s any chance of that.

I steeped this tea eight times in a 120ml gaiwan with 10g leaf and boiling water. I gave it a 10 second rinse and a 10 minute rest. I steeped it for 5 sec, 5 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, and 30 sec. If I wasn’t at my caffeine limit I’m sure I could have steeped it four or five more times at least. While this may not be a tea for those with an extreme aversion to fermentation flavor it was really quite good.

Flavors: Bitter, Cocoa, Earth, Fruity, Sweet

Boiling 10 g 4 OZ / 120 ML
tea123

Judging by the amount you order, there really is no chance of that!