2015 Yunnan Sourcing "Tian Tang Cao" Ripe Pu-erh tea and Jiaogula

Herbal Pu-erh Blend
Earth, Moss, Vegetal, Camphor, Medicinal
Edit tea info Last updated by SilasSteep

• “This tea is very interesting. Combining a powerful adaptogenic herb with puer. Scott is really onto something here. The body high is very nice – calming and stimulating at the same time. Taste is...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’ve tried this tea few days ago, but I didn’t write the review while drinking it. Since I had tasted a few teas since then, I decided to return to this tea for another session, so that I may have...” Read full tasting note
  • “A very smooth oily soup with the camphor flavors of the shou and the intense sweet and cooling mouthfeel of the Jiaogulan. To me this tea had a very calming and revitalizing body feel that I really...” Read full tasting note
  • “I received my box of ripe pu erh goodies today from the recent YS sale. One thing I purchased was this mini cake. It was well sealed in its own little envelope, so I immediately tried it even...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

Tian Tang Cao (天堂草) is another name for Jiaogulan (Gynostemma pentaphyllum). Our Tian Tang Cao mini cake is a blend of ripe pu-erh tea from 2013 and Jiaogulan. The flavor is smooth and sweet with thick body and good feeling in the mouth and body. The Jiaogulan is fresh 2015 harvest and the ripe pu-erh tea we used is aged just enough to be smooth, sweet and camphory. The two go well together both in terms of taste and effect on the body. Very enjoyable experience all around!

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

This tea is very interesting. Combining a powerful adaptogenic herb with puer. Scott is really onto something here. The body high is very nice – calming and stimulating at the same time. Taste is mainly of puer (ripe), but there are tones of ginseng/anise flavor of the jiaogulan (immortality herb). As a side-note, Jiaogulan herb has about 4 times the number of adaptogenic compounds (saponides) as does ginseng.

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I’ve tried this tea few days ago, but I didn’t write the review while drinking it. Since I had tasted a few teas since then, I decided to return to this tea for another session, so that I may have proper review of the tea.

I must say that the tea gives off a huge seaweed aroma, but the flavor is quite different. Yes, there’s a slight mineral flavor to the tea, but there are the “pu-erh” flavors (earthy, mossy, “muddy,” etc) hanging about, too; although, these flavors are subtle, and not overpowering.

The mouth-feel is nice. It’s a smooth tea that goes to the back of the throat gently. There is no sign of astringency with this tea. It’s a rich and smooth tea, that I plan on drinking again.

I started with a 15 second rinse to wake the leaves. However, after that, I began to steep the tea for 20 seconds, and added 5 seconds to each steep after that. I’m on number 5 thus far, and plan on getting 10-12 more steeps out of this.

Flavors: Earth, Moss, Vegetal

Boiling
Kirkoneill1988

never had grassy taste before in shou puerh

S.G. Sanders

I corrected it. It DID have more of a seaweed/sweet mossy(?) taste to it more than anything.

Kirkoneill1988

sweet moss… i’ll be on a lookout for that in shous

A very smooth oily soup with the camphor flavors of the shou and the intense sweet and cooling mouthfeel of the Jiaogulan. To me this tea had a very calming and revitalizing body feel that I really enjoy!

Flavors: Camphor, Medicinal

6 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

I received my box of ripe pu erh goodies today from the recent YS sale. One thing I purchased was this mini cake. It was well sealed in its own little envelope, so I immediately tried it even though it did not get a chance to rest and air out. This ripe pu erh is made with jiangulan, an herb I had never heard of. I think it’s kind of like ginseng, at least that’s how it tastes (Yang-chu, help me out here!). This is a really good tea for what it is. The ripe tea is of solid quality, and the herb makes it minty fresh, like ginseng. It’s quite unusual, and worth a try if you are adventurous. And it has a great little wrapper…

tea123

Just looked up the price. You must have had a heavy discount on that $6.

Rich

Hah! Saved me a bundle….of nickels…