2007 Pin Xiang "Bu Lang Shan Tuo" Raw Pu-erh Tea

Pu-erh Tea
Bitter, Camphor, Hay, Herbs, Honey, Leather, Sage, Thyme, Medicinal, Mud, Mushrooms, Nutty, Sweet, Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Togo
Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 8 g 38 oz / 1124 ml

4 Images

• “Bought this on TaoBao but I am pretty sure it is the same one as is sold on YS. Nice wet-stored raw, very dark for its age. Nice basement aromas with some spicy character, dark color and satisfying...” Read full tasting note
  • “Excellent well aged tea. I suppose the wetter storage shows how it accelerated aging nicely. This is at a point where all of the flavor has mellowed together to create a very good tea. Hard to...” Read full tasting note
  • “After 1 year of Canadian storage with slightly enhanced and stabilized humidity (but still dry compared to what I expect this tea has gone through), I see a relatively big change in the profile,...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is probably one of the best entry points for those exploring both aged and wetter-stored tea. It is super affordable and has a very approachable taste. It is a great introduction to the...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

A production of 100% Bu Lang Mountain material from Spring 2007. Produced by a small Menghai area tea factory called “Pin Xiang Tea Factory” and then aged for almost 10 years in hot and humid Guangdong. The degree of wet storage is just perfect, transforming the Bu Lang bitterness into something sweet and spicey, textured and complex with a mild not overpowering cha qi.

This is a perfect tea for those looking for an aged raw pu-erh that still has some character and bite to it that can be purchased on a tight budget. The quality to price ratio with this tea is very strong, and it will not disappoint even the sophisticated sheng enthusiast.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Bought this on TaoBao but I am pretty sure it is the same one as is sold on YS. Nice wet-stored raw, very dark for its age. Nice basement aromas with some spicy character, dark color and satisfying body. Wet leaves smell have that woody smell of antique shops. Rich taste, full and mellow mouthfeel, slight amount of pleasing astringency. Nicely lasting (in the throat and in the brewing vessel). I hope it will still be sold when I do my next TaoBao order, I will definitely buy a couple more!

Boiling 1 min, 45 sec 3 tsp 150 OZ / 4436 ML

Excellent well aged tea. I suppose the wetter storage shows how it accelerated aging nicely. This is at a point where all of the flavor has mellowed together to create a very good tea. Hard to describe the flavor since nothing stands out strongly but the taste is fantastic. It lasts through many steeps and stays good through all of them. This will be tempting to make an every day drinker.

4 g 2 OZ / 60 ML

After 1 year of Canadian storage with slightly enhanced and stabilized humidity (but still dry compared to what I expect this tea has gone through), I see a relatively big change in the profile, which surprised me a little bit.

The smell is more nutty, sweet and medicinal. I think it’s a little more pungent, but not by a large amount. The taste, on the other hand, is more subtle. I can taste the strong herbal notes, but they are much more in the background. Also, the bitterness seems to have faded a notch, now it’s almost unnoticeable. Instead, I get more mushroom notes, especially in the finish. Mouthfeel is more or less the same as far as I can remember.

At this point I wouldn’t say it’s either worse or better than when I bought it necessarily, just different. I have a feeling that if it mellows out much further than it could become too flat. For now it’s ok though.

Flavors: Medicinal, Mud, Mushrooms, Nutty, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 80 ML

This is probably one of the best entry points for those exploring both aged and wetter-stored tea. It is super affordable and has a very approachable taste. It is a great introduction to the camphor notes of older pu’erh.

I wouldn’t say this is the most interesting pu’erh in my stash, but being able to sip the aromatic and earthy flavors of a wet-stored, semi-aged pu’erh like this (and spend less than $20 on it), it is a must-have and will be a repurchase for me.

The flavor is something of a combination of tobacco/leather notes of other semi-aged raws, the earthy sweetness of ripe pu’erh, and the tannic bite of a strongly brewed black tea breakfast blend.

An affordable and educational tea for those exploring storage effects on raw pu’erh.
Dry leaf – aged tobacco, camphor, root beer, sassafras, hints of dried date. In preheated vessel – sweet and savory notes of cream of wheat and sweet bean/taro paste.

Smell – aged tobacco, sweet dry spice, stewed black tea; secondary notes of camphor, sassafras, and dried date.

Taste – Arrival of tobacco, leather, strong black tea blend. Development of ripe pu’erh earthy sweetness, creaminess, and hints of chocolate. Finish includes camphor and dried date. Aftertaste of ripe pu’erh, black tea blend. Lemongrass notes arrive later in aftertaste.

tanluwils

I was curious about this one since I’m a Bulang fan. It sounds very promising to age.

$15.50 for 250 grams. Steeped 16 grams in 32 ounces boiled water for 6 minutes. Tastes like a mixture of equal amounts of black (“red”) tea and ripe Pu-erh tea, so this raw Pu-erh has aged about half way to the “dark tea” taste of a ripe Pu-erh. Has little astringency, and no acid bitterness. It’s a pleasant hybrid tea. At a very reasonable $1.76 per ounce, it’s worth a try.

Flavors: Mushrooms, Tea

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 16 g 32 OZ / 946 ML
Death Sips

I had the same black and ripe feel from another Bu Lang, the 2003 Bu Lang Mountain Raw Pu-erh Tea Brick also from YS. I loved that and I purchased this one as well. Looks like I made a good choice.