Yunnan Black Gold Black Tea * Spring 2017

Black Tea Leaves
Almond, Cocoa, Honeysuckle, Malt, Mineral, Spearmint, Umami, Wheat
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 16 oz / 473 ml

3 Images

• “First review! I’m moving into a real tea habit and Yunnan Sourcing is a hell of an enabler. This tea is my first real example of a yunnan black tea and it seems like a great place to start. It has...” Read full tasting note
  • “Solid black tea, the dry leaf is clean and sweet smelling with just enough malt, and brews up with similar attributes and nice mouth feel. I think it hits above its price so this tasty tea can be...” Read full tasting note
  • “Another tea added to the “favorite black teas” list. The tea had a slight yellow/golden hue to it. The mouthful was surprisingly thick. The flavor had a nice malt, cocoa-wheat, and slightly...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

A traditional process one leaf / one bud ratio black tea from the high mountains of Zhenyuan in Simao prefecture. Lightly wilted the leaves still have a slight greenish color amongst the vivid brown-red color. The traditional processing gives the tea nice floral aroma and taste and allows for longer term aging. This tea can be drunk for several years, and will have noticeable changes (and improvements) for up to 2 years!

Spring 2017 harvest

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

It has a bitterness akin to unsweetend cocoa with a malty, earthy, slightly nutty body. The wet leaf has a strong cocoa smell with some of those classic sweeter honeysuckle floral notes, and a faint touch of spearmint or wintergreen root. The body has a medium density that doesn’t feel thin and doesn’t really coat.

The aftertaste lasts in the back of the mouth with coffee/ burnt bread like bitterness. Overall I’m very happy with the 50gram purchase, but I’m not sure I’ll restock once I’m through the bag. There are just too many great teas to try at this price point.

Flavors: Almond, Cocoa, Honeysuckle, Malt, Mineral, Spearmint, Umami

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 16 OZ / 473 ML

I think it hits above its price so this tasty tea can be an enjoyable daily drinker.

I’ve added another order to my wish-list so I can enjoy the changes as this tea ages over two years.

Another tea added to the “favorite black teas” list. The tea had a slight yellow/golden hue to it. The mouthful was surprisingly thick. The flavor had a nice malt, cocoa-wheat, and slightly astringent body. Definitely a tea that could become a daily drinker once I get some samples out of the way!

Flavors: Cocoa, Malt, Wheat