2017 Yunnan Sourcing "Rooster King" Ripe Pu-erh Tea Cake

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Alcohol, Black Pepper, Blackberry, Char, Cloves, Coffee, Creamy, Spicy, Thick, Baked Bread, Cinnamon, Medicinal, Orange, Parsley, Sour, Tangy, Walnut, Earth, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Togo
Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 9 g 4 oz / 133 ml

5 Images

• “I am revisiting this great tea today to check up on it. I get a deep smell that’s brighter than I remember it. It is more fruity and spicy, with hints of orange, cinnamon, walnuts and parsnip. The...” Read full tasting note
  • “After letting the cake rest from traveling, recommendation was for a couple of weeks, I opened the wrapper for a preliminary session. It was very fresh so I decided to break up the piece I’d split...” Read full tasting note
  • “Scott has made another good one in this. There was still of course a lot of fermentation taste. But I didn’t find that taste unpleasant or fishy. There was very little bitterness and a nice...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

Our “Rooster King” is an incredibly unique blend of ripe pu-erh teas from 6 different regions in Yunnan (Yong De, Mengku, Menghai, Jingmai, Bu Lang and Jing Gu), with vintages ranging from 2014 to 2016. We tirelessly collected and blended tea to create this unique and complex ripe pu-erh tea cake to celebrate the year of the rooster.

The taste is sweet and thick with notes of dried fruit. The tea has a full bodied taste and expansive sweetness in the after-taste (hui gan). Having so many different teas with their own unique taste ebbing and flowing with each infusion gives this tea complexity that is rarely found in same batch wet-piled teas. You may find yourself noticing subtle nuances one session and something else the next session. Cha Qi is very strong for ripe pu-erh.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

I am revisiting this great tea today to check up on it. I get a deep smell that’s brighter than I remember it. It is more fruity and spicy, with hints of orange, cinnamon, walnuts and parsnip. The taste hasn’t changed much, but it’s somewhat more medicinal and tangy. There is a touch of sourness that persists into the aftertaste as well.

I have tried a lot of Scott’s ripes from 2017 and 2018 in the last two weeks (reviews will come later). This one – Rooster King – and Crimson Rooster are my favourites. Neither of them is quite at the level of Yang Luo Han though.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Blackberry, Cinnamon, Coffee, Medicinal, Orange, Parsley, Sour, Spicy, Tangy, Walnut

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

It was very fresh so I decided to break up the piece I’d split off and let it rest in a jar for about 6 weeks after which it relaxed and gave up a nice aroma and taste.

This tea seems more complex than one might expect from a ripe. I have been ordering more sheng lately but a shu like Rooster King and the now sold out Green Miracle draw me back for a comforting brew.

Scott has made another good one in this. There was still of course a lot of fermentation taste. But I didn’t find that taste unpleasant or fishy. There was very little bitterness and a nice slightly muted sweetness. Not really sure if I would say chocolate notes as I was not paying close attention to this one I was just enjoying it. The sweet taste after eight steeps might be characterized as fruity but that is an interpretation. Overall this is a very nice tea. I could see myself picking up a tong of this at some point.

Brewed this eight times in a 180ml yixing teapot with 13.5g leaf and boiling water. I gave it a 10 second rinse. I steeped it for 5 sec, 5 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, and 30 seconds.

Flavors: Earth, Sweet