2017 Yunnan Sourcing "Crimson Rooster" Ripe Puerh Tea Cake

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Bark, Bitter, Caramel, Chocolate, Citrus Zest, Coffee, Earth, Medicinal, Molasses, Spicy, Dried Fruit, Spices, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Togo

From Yunnan Sourcing

Our “Crimson Rooster” is a ripe pu-erh tea cake composed of a blend of tea leaves harvested in Spring 2016 from the Mengku region of Lincang. The tea underwent wet piling in Menghai (Xishuangbanna) under the supervision of the same wet piling master as our 2015 Green Miracle and 2016 Immortal Monkey.

The tea is strong and full-bodied and produces a thick dark tea soup. The tea has some dark chocolate-like bitterness and a quick sweetness that follows and blends with a spicy dried fruit taste that lingers in the mouth and throat, in a most comforting manner. This is a medium level of wet piling, the leaves having little green color, but lacking the mud-like consistency of heavy wet piled style ripe. This is a traditional process ripe pu-erh, processed in a decades old Menghai tea factory, and overseen by a wet pile master with decades of experience.

As with any young ripe pu-erh the wet pile taste will be with it for the next 2 to 4 years (after 2017) depending on the storage condition.

250 grams per cake (7 cakes per bamboo leaf tong)

Only 150 kilograms in total available!

Wrapper Design by Sébastien Mathios (France)

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Good, smooth puer, no bitterness. Grandpa-style in infuser tumbler.

200 °F / 93 °C

Love this shu. Tastes like bittersweet chocolate. It is heavy, thick and burly, with a moderate caffeine boost. This is a keeper.

Ooooh

This is a very nice ripe, like all of recent Scott’s productions. It still has a decent amount of fermentation flavour, but that should dissipate in a few years. I find it to be comparable in quality to Rooster King, but it’s not as sweet, that’s for sure. The smell is a mix of medicinal and chocolate notes, with caramel hints in the empty cup. The taste is bitter, earthy and spicy with a sour finish. I get notes of citrus zest, tree bark and molasses, as well as some coffee in the aftertaste, which I found to be very long and getting sweeter and spicier over time. The body is medium to full and the mouthfeel is creamy and quite mouth-watering. Thanks to the balanced nature and strong, complex profile, I can imagine this tea rivaling Yang Luo Han as my favourite young shou, once a few years have passed and the fermentation notes are not as strong.

Flavors: Bark, Bitter, Caramel, Chocolate, Citrus Zest, Coffee, Earth, Medicinal, Molasses, Spicy

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Just finished my second session with Crimson Rooster from Yunnan Sourcing. It’s probably my favorite of their 2017 shou productions of Hui Run, Rooster King, and itself. Dry leaf smells like dark chocolate, a little maple syrup, and a little bit of funk but nothing that can be put into words. Wet, it opens up more and smells like dark chocolate, earth, and sweet caramel. The soup also smells similar and is very aromatic. There is some bitterness in the early steeps which I like quite a bit along with a hint of funk but already nothing compared to how it was maybe a month ago when it arrived which was very much like hot dogs. There are hints of caramel throughout and sweet dried fruit emerges later on. I didn’t get as much spice as last time but I suspect that was due to some difference in brewing. I think I leafed it harder in the very least the first time. Some tartness emerges really late which I think really rounds out a shou and will hopefully continue to emerge. The mouthfeel of this is so nice – probably the creamiest tea I’ve had lately, super thick and oily too. Compared to Rooster King and Hui Run I’d say that this is the middle ground – not as sweet as Rooster King but not as bitter and pungent and Hui Run but more than enough to provide a really interesting session. I’ll definitely be picking up more of this.

Flavors: Caramel, Dried Fruit, Earth, Spices

Got this in my recent order. First thing to say is the fermentation taste is very strong and earthy. I would not say fishy but it is strong. It is a very thick dense liquid, bittersweet at the start. It slowly turned to a more sweet note. One might say there are some chocolate notes but I am not sure. Overall it is a nice ripe that does need to age another six months really but it was good.

I brewed 12.7g of leaf an a 150ml gaiwan with boiling water. I steeped it six times (so far). I steeped it for 5 sec, 5 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, and 20 sec.

Flavors: Bitter, Earth, Sweet