Yunnan Rose Flowers and Big Snow Mountain Black Tea Dragon Ball

Black Flowering Blend
Black Tea Leaves, Rose
Cherry, Floral, Rose, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

5 Images

• “I normally don’t like rose-scented teas. I don’t even know why I bought these dragon balls but I’ll be damned, the mood for rose struck today. Maybe it seemed like a natural progression from my...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea has a flavor that reminds me very much of cherry. The dry leaves have a very strong floral sweet smell to them. 1st Steep: As ball has not opened up yet the taste is weak. A get a slight...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

What happens when you combine robust Yunnan Black Tea with Rose Flowers? You get a highly complex and enjoyable tea both wonderful to drink, and to behold!

Our Yunnan grown rose flowers (墨红玫瑰花) are high grade fresh flowers grown in Wenshan prefecture. The flowers add an aestethic aspect to the experience as well as imparting a lovely rose sweetness and aroma to the black tea. We blended several different types of roses and rose petals before deciding on this particular rose and ratio.

Big Snow Mountain Black Tea is from Mengku County in Lincang, which is a high altitude area that’s home to many tea gardens. This lovely black tea was processed with care from first flush of Spring 2017 assamica tea leaves picked from 30 to 40 year old plantation bushes growing naturally at an altitude of 1800 meters.

This black tea together with the Yunnan rose flowers makes for a thick and viscous tea, complex and interesting, while lasting many infusions making it a worthwhile newcomer to our offering here at Yunnan Sourcing!

These Dragon Balls were made by my mother- in-law and father-in-law. They make them in their spare time. They use little pieces of cotton to compress them instead of saran wrap. Saran wrap compression is the most common method because it’s faster, but it causes off gassing into the tea since the tea must be steamed to soften and is very hot. We use cotton, which is safe.

Dragon balls are great because they are perfect single brewing servings, and because the leaves fare much better during transport and storage compared to loose leaf form, which tend to break apart causing the brewed tea to be overly astringent and/or bitter and detracts from overall look of the brewed leaves!

50% of the profits from the sales of these Dragon Balls will go directly to my father/mother-in-law. We will give them the money as a red packet during Chinese New Year, since they won’t accept money directly from my wife or I. Most likely they will put most of it in the bank for their retirement!

Each Dragon Ball is roughly 8 grams of tea (+/- 0.5 grams)

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

I normally don’t like rose-scented teas. I don’t even know why I bought these dragon balls but I’ll be damned, the mood for rose struck today. Maybe it seemed like a natural progression from my wake-up cup of some underwhelming gui fei I’m trying to finish off.

Anyway, whew boy is this a sweet tea!

Gone gaiwan. 1 beautiful dragon ball, 150mL, 200F. Gave it a 30s soak and lost track of the number of steeps because I was so caffeinated. 10+ that’s for sure.

The dry ball smells so good, much like cherry and not that old lady perfumey rose scent. The aroma of the liquor matches the scent of the dry leaf and rose petals, never once making me regret choosing rose today. Once the ball opened up about halfway, the liquor became very thick with down and had a wonderful viscous texture. There was some astringency that could probably be somewhat mitigated by keeping steep times at 10-15s (I was doing several rounds of 20 before knocking the time down).

In terms of tastes, I wasn’t aiming for depth of notes today, rather just enjoying the session. Most notable was the cherry-rose, some spiciness and some minerality. Several steeps had a pronounced note of frankincense. Where this tea really got me was the intense! date sweetness that lasted long in the back of the mouth and seemed to also sit in my chest. I’m not normally a fan of super sweet teas but in this one, it just worked so well.

Overall, this was a very enjoyable, incredibly sweet tea, one that would be great to share a session with somebody. The rose petals are beautiful and vibrant in smell and taste, never perfumey but quite fruity. I do wonder if the fruitiness could be attributed to the base tea. I know YS sells it alone but I haven’t tried it. Regardless, the two ingredients work really well together. Another thing to note is these balls are pressed not nearly as compact as the Silver Needles or Moonlight White dragon balls, giving this tea less of a learning curve than those other two. I’m glad I picked up several of these dragon balls and won’t be in a rush to finish the last one just to get it out of my cupboard, saving it for when the mood strikes again.

200 °F / 93 °C 8 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

1st Steep: As ball has not opened up yet the taste is weak. A get a slight underlying sweet taste. I’ll be honest I don’t know if that’s from the tea from the gummies I ate a few minutes ago. Very sure its from the tea. Almost a cherry like flavor.

2nd Steep: The cherry is most defiantly from the tea.

3rd Steep: The ball begins to break apart and the brew gets a bit darker. I have adoring the taste the rose petals provide.

Got about 8 steeps in before it went weak on me.

Flavors: Cherry, Floral, Rose, Sweet