drank Gyokuro Imperial by Teavana

I’ve sampled several gyokuros, and so far this is my favorite. It has a depth of flavor some others seem to lack. It almost has a “chocolately,” dense sort of scent in the tin. I brew this at about 155 for two minutes only, otherwise it does turn bitter. But brewed properly, it yields a flavorful yet delicate, savory, vegetal cup. The price point of this gyokuro is more comfortable than some others I’ve found. In my experience, the second infusion is not as rich; the third is very good, then after that it loses flavor.

I like strong, robust flavors. My current favorites include strong black teas (Keemuns, Yunnan teas and Assams, for example), flavored blacks such as Harney’s Paris, oolongs of any kind, and gyokuros. I like Rooibos and honeybush teas as well, and other herbal blends to help me relax in the evening.

I am willing to try just about anything, but I am not particularly fond of jasmine tea, very fruity or heavily flavored blends, anything with pineapple; and I know this is practically heresy, but I don’t like Darjeelings.

In my kitchen, heating water