drank Genmaicha by Harney & Sons

TASTY!!! This is a great way to introduce black tea people to green tea (source: I am a black tea person). I figured it’s time to add some green tea to my collection, mostly black and white tea, even though I don’t prefer the grassy, astringent taste most green teas generally have.

The leaves give off a distinct smell of toasted rice cakes, with a very very distinct hint of the vegetal scent of green tea. Steeping the blend intensifies these scents even further, and the liquor is bright yellowish-green. I let it steep for slightly over two minutes at 175-180 F water.

Like the leaves, the liquid gives off a really strong roasted rice cake smell, which is delicious. That roasty taste is pretty dominant in the tea, and you really have to pay attention to get the vegetal taste of the batcha. Though the rice taste is pretty strong, it’s not quite overpowering and I think provides a nice sweet balance to the batcha. There’s only a very mild astringency, which I actually find refreshing.

I’m a college student double majoring in biology and theology. Located in New York City. I’m in the middle of the purgatory that is applying to med school, so I guess this is the relaxing new hobby I’ve found to keep myself sane. This, and biking.

Relatively new to tea, and partial to black and white teas, though I’m dying to try some Oolongs or Pu-erhs soon.

I’m not sure how I got started with loose leaf tea in the first place, but I’m keeping with it because I’m fascinated with the huge diversity of flavors and tastes coming from the same plant.

I don’t care for the supposed health benefits of tea, but it provides the right amount of caffeine to get my mind focused without the jitters.

My rating system is nothing fancy. I basically follow the little faces on the scale :)

Bronx, New York