First of all, I’m really excited to be heading to Las Vegas this evening for the World Tea Expo! I’ll be volunteering and helping out with a few of the sessions while I am there, should be fun!

This is the second shincha that I purchased recently from Yuuki-Cha. For this one I used 4 grams of fresh leaf in my 4 oz Kyusu, and I brewed 5 steepings increasing the temperature from about 140 fahrenheit to around 190 by the 5th steeping and I tended to steep between 20-60 seconds.

The first thing that I noticed was how wonderful the fresh leaves smelled, just pure sweetness and grassy freshness. The first two steepings of this shincha were delicious. They were a little more vegetal than the tenryu shincha that I reviewed a couple days ago and just a tad bit stronger, but this shincha still didn’t have that grassy/sweet punch that I tend to find in the yuuki-cha green teas. After the first two steepings though this tea quickly lost flavor and turned very astringent and bitter. Perhaps next time I will keep the temperature down on the later steepings!

I began my tea adventure when a counselor at Spanish camp introduced me to yerba mate. From there I soon started to embrace all different kinds of tea.

Currently my favorite tea is dragonwell, with silver needles being a close second. I really enjoy trying new teas and experimenting with different steep times and temperatures,

Kansas City, MO