Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Harney & Sons' hojicha is actually a hōji kukicha: most hōjicha is roasted bancha leaves, while hōji kukicha is made by roasting the twigs that are a byproduct of mechanical harvesting of leaves...” Read full tasting note
    FDH 5 tasting notes
  • “I believe this specific grade of Hojicha is called 雁ヶ音ほうじ茶 (Karigane Hōjicha), which is similar to Kukicha. The difference from Kukicha is that this form of Hojicha is roasted over a charcoal fire...” Read full tasting note
    Scharp 115 tasting notes
  • “There are three words to describe this tea: toasty, toasty, and toasty. This makes a nice cup of relaxing flavors of roasted tea. It is very similar in flavor to Genmaicha, a Japanese green tea...” Read full tasting note
    escosan 4 tasting notes
  • “Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees my H&S order finally came today!! My very first experience ordering from them, and overall? Would do again! The processing time might have been a week, but when it finally got...” Read full tasting note
    sweetea 17 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

Roasted tea stalks are a favorite beverage in Japan. You might want to consider this alternative to your morning brew.

About Harney & Sons View company

Harney & Sons’ hojicha is actually a hōji kukicha: most hōjicha is roasted bancha leaves, while hōji kukicha is made by roasting the twigs that are a byproduct of mechanical harvesting of leaves for bancha. (They also sell a plain kukicha, made from twigs that haven’t been roasted.) In a funny little twist on tea making priorities, this twig tea actually has a few unextracted leaf fragments left in it, which drift to the bottom of the pot as it brews while the twigs remain afloat.

Amber-copper liquor, nice toasty smell. In fact, “toasted” pretty much sums up the aroma and flavor of this tea. There’s a little bit of tannic astringency from all the wood, but it doesn’t define the cup. I’ve never used milk or sugar with this one, but I suspect that adding both would produce something an awful lot like drinking a hot bowl of shredded wheat. There’s no traditional tea flavor to speak of.

This is definitely a comforting way to end a day, thanks to both the pleasant taste and the low caffeine content. Mike Harney writes in his book that the flavor of this tea closely resembles that of coffee, which I take as evidence that he doesn’t drink much coffee, but it’s definitely a nice option for introducing coffee drinkers (or lovers of breakfast cereal) to the tea world.

I believe this specific grade of Hojicha is called 雁ヶ音ほうじ茶 (Karigane Hōjicha), which is similar to Kukicha. The difference from Kukicha is that this form of Hojicha is roasted over a charcoal fire on porcelain.

This is one of the teas I ordered just before I went on my vacation.

Leaf Quality
This tea was only stems, as it is supposed to be. I did not find one leaf, so they did a good job of separating the two. The dry leaves smelled like the Genmai Cha I recently tried. Very toasty.

Brewed Tea
The color of the brewed tea was that of a Brandy or Scotch with a pinkish hue. It was also toasty, but not smokey. The flavor was very light, and savory. I could still taste the typical green tea flavor amid the toastiness. However, as toasty as the brewed tea smelled, I expected a stronger beverage.

I’m pretty satisfied with this purchase. Next time I’ll break the rules and steep longer to bring out more flavor. This tea was not very bitter, so I suspect that not much more bitterness should come out if I do so.

There are three words to describe this tea: toasty, toasty, and toasty.

This makes a nice cup of relaxing flavors of roasted tea. It is very similar in flavor to Genmaicha, a Japanese green tea with toasted rice, but even more toasty. Like the previous comment remarked, it is a nice and relaxing tea, though steeping it for only 1.5 mins gives it a more pleasant softness.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees my H&S order finally came today!! My very first experience ordering from them, and overall? Would do again! The processing time might have been a week, but when it finally got to the shipping stage, I had tea at my door within two days. Impressive, I’d say.

I splurged on quite a few tins—I’m justifying it with, “Well! September is my birth month and and and this is the year of An Official Quarter Life Crisis! I DESERVE TEA AND HERMITHOOD, I JUST DO!”—and this is the first tea I broke into. Oh my goodness, the smell is amazing. So toasty! So coffee-ish while still being TEA! (Note: I’m usually on the fence about coffee-imitating teas. DT’s Coffee Pu’erh / Jumpy Monkey were . . . okay, but there was no incentive to re-buy.) Taste-wise, this is delicious: a nice, full mouth-feel, super roasted wood-y/bark-y, and so naturally sweet.

I’m going to be tearing through this tin like no tomorrow. Good thing this has a lower caffeine content than other greens . . .

This is one of my absolute favorite teas. I love hojichas in general, but adore hoji-kukichas even more. You can oversteep for what seems like days and never encounter any bitterness. Just a beautifully roast-y, caramel-y, toasted brew. Because of the low caffeine I often choose this one at bedtime or later in the night when I can’t sleep and I’ve never had trouble falling asleep afterwards. This is one of my always-on-hand teas that I just can’t imagine being without.