Genmai-Cha Brown Rice Tea (Traditional Series)

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Maeda-en

Maeda-en’s Traditional Genmai-cha is made with late harvest sen-cha, tossed with popped rice for that malty, nutty flavor.
A great every day tea.

To brew,steep 1tbsp of leaves in 8-12 oz of hot water (180-185F) for 30-60 seconds. Hot water is key for an delicious-smelling brew!

About Maeda-en View company

Maeda-En has been in business for the last 25 years as an importer, manufacturer and wholesaler of green tea & green tea desserts. Our Japanese grown, fresh quality green teas are shipped directly from our production factory in Japan to the states and then world-wide.

(backlog) It took me forever to find this tea on Steepster! Mainly because ehh I’m too lazy to actually //look//
But yes. This tea is the genmai-cha that I bought from Japan in Epcot! Pretty much your basic roasted brown rice tea. Definitely much tastier than the genmaicha that I had from the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf from my aunt so long ago.

__Morgana__

I had their genmaicha with match today. Quite yummy.

__Morgana__

er, matcha

jump62359

Dude. I’ve never actually… had matcha before.
I just feel like there’s a super special way of preparing it and I’m just going to mess it up! Ahh well. I’ll try my hand in preparing matcha for myself soon enough :)

In the spirit of experimentation I threw in a few shakes of rubbed sage into mix. Let me tell you it made for quite the fabulous cup. Savory and delicious!

Batrachoid

Rosemary and dehydrated onions work well too. But not garlic, it comes ou unblaenced. Or maybe that’s my garlic.=)

Sometimes I wonder if Maeda-en is like the Lipton of tea in Japan?

In any case this is a good basic tea for me which I have been drinking for years, I get it in Japantown and the price does not break the bank. I like the toasty, nutty flavor here which goes nicely sometimes as a breakfast drink when I want something mild.

205 °F / 96 °C

Basic genmaicha, good for everyday drinking. It’s almost impossible to over-steep this; I accidentally left it steeping for eight-odd minutes and it was still good.

The DJBooth

You are right about that! You can oversteep and it’s still tasty!

A nice dependable genmaicha, not my favorite that honor goes to genmaicha with some matcha thrown in, but still very dependable. It isn’t the gold genmaicha so I would like to try that as well, I’m sure it has some fancy sencha or something. I first had this tea in one of my favorite sushi places and I still want sushi with it every time I make it at home.

Perfect everyday tea. I like to have this when I get to work after breakfast. The puffed rice gives a nice toasty depth to Maeda-en’s great sencha.

TTTTB 5/7
I cold brewed this in the past and liked it but saved some to try hot.
I ruined my last cup, I can tell I need to change my water filter. I meant to use my gallon of spring water but I forgot.