Sencha of Brightness

Green Tea
Corn Husk, Flowers, Nutty, Seaweed, Sweet, Grass
Bulk
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaBrat

• “This will be the first sencha tea to brew and review in my new tokonome kyusu, which is absolutely gorgeous (and my first kyusu). I bought an expensive one because I wanted to be set with one that...” Read full tasting note
    ShiningLion 118 tasting notes
  • “This was my one indulgence for June which just arrived today ... YIPPEE! I've always wanted to try the Obubu tea sampler pack and now I have the time to try them all and even write tasting notes....” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2473 tasting notes

From Obubu Tea

Named for because it is so delicious as iced tea, in Japanese, Sencha of Brightness or きらめきの煎茶, carries the nuance of shimmering light as it dances on and through cool, refreshing water. As such, the leaves produce tea that is light and refreshing, perfect as a cool drink to quench your thirst on hot summer days. kirameki no sencha fieldsGrown on a south facing hillside, the fields have good exposure to the sun and wind. Combining the strong summer sun, more mature leaves, and the two-week covering technique used in producing Kabuse Sencha, the characteristic of Sencha of Brightness leaves is that its sweetness is light and refreshing.

About Obubu Tea View company

This will be the first sencha tea to brew and review in my new tokonome kyusu, which is absolutely gorgeous (and my first kyusu). I bought an expensive one because I wanted to be set with one that was really my tastes and not be tempted to buy another down the road. If anyone is curious, it’s this one: http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-teapot-Tokoname-Umehara-7-78oz/dp/B00CD8NPTU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413654555&sr=8-1&keywords=kyusu+shoji

Anyhow, on to the tea. The scent of Sencha of Brightness is intoxicating after letting the leaves sit in the warm kyusu for a minute. The smell is of sweet corn on the cob, peony flowers and toasted almonds. It’s smelling eerily similar to my all time favorite tea, Kenyan Silver Needle. Let’s see how it brews up.

The brew is a delicate spring green. The taste is sublime. It has an incredibly smooth mouthfeel… and this may sound weird but the texture reminds me of yogurt. It’s velvety and thick. The flavor has a mellow nutty start that changes to a slightly green and vegetal one with afternotes of cooling mint sensation. I can easily see why this Sencha of Brightness was named from the idea of sparkling light reflecting on cooling waters. The tea is very mellow with almost no astringency, only a slight bit in the finish.

On the second infusion the taste is much more mild. It’s still quite sweet and there are little notes of seaweed and grass like one might expect from sencha. The third infusion is also rather light in flavor and tastes similar to the second. I may have used a lower amount of leaf than I should have.

This tea was humbling. I really like it a lot.

Flavors: Corn Husk, Flowers, Nutty, Seaweed, Sweet

160 °F / 71 °C 1 min, 0 sec 2 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Ubacat

I’m adding that one to my wish list!

Lion

It’s so good. I am trying to not fly right through this Obubu sampler because these are the only Japanese green teas I have right now to brew in my Kyusu! On the other hand, I almost want to get straight through them so I can figure out which ones I want to order and order them altogether instead of paying more for shipping separately!

This was my one indulgence for June which just arrived today … YIPPEE! I’ve always wanted to try the Obubu tea sampler pack and now I have the time to try them all and even write tasting notes. :) I love Japanese teas so I can’t imagine I’ll have anything too bad to say about the selections.

I picked this one at random from the sampler pack, I knew I wanted to try a sencha but I wasn’t sure which one. It has such a lovely name. I steeped this for 90 seconds and it has a very light colored infusion, one that I might associate more with Chinese tea than Japanese. The aroma is lightly vegetal and a bit flowery.

For a sencha, this is very mild. The description says this tea is made with more mature leaves so perhaps that is why. Also they claim it is good as an iced tea, so I’ll have to try the rest of my sample that way. For now I’m enjoying it hot. The flavor is very mild and sweet. It has some light grassy notes but also a bit of sweet vegetables like corn. I don’t think I’ve ever had a Japanese tea that’s this mild before, no astringency whatsover. It’s very tasty and soothing, like floating away on a green tea cloud.

Flavors: Corn Husk, Grass

Cameron B.

That’s a lot of sencha in that sampler! I’m excited to see all of your notes. :D

TeaBrat

ha ha – you’ll be sick of me soon!

Cameron B.

They definitely knew what they were doing when they named all of them. How can you not want to try something called “Sencha of the Summer Sun”?

TeaBrat

Agreed, their names are very poetic. I’ve been wanting to try their teas for years.

Lion

Aha! Our reviews are so similar! I made sure not to look at others before I wrote mine. I’d say we got a pretty similar impression! This tea was sublime, but yes very mild to me!

TeaBrat

I definitely liked this a lot but I think I prefer the deeper steamed sencha like fukamushi style…